Growerslights.com

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

No worries bro, and they did offer to ship it sooner if I didn't want it assembled and tested. But since I have never done it before, I figured I should wait and get it assembled.

And I'm definitely interested to see how that light performs for ya!
Same deal here. I chose to allow them to assemble it because I could have waited the 7-9 days at the time. Then I could have waited the additional two days he said it would be when I finally reached him. Now, three weeks later and I wish I had just asked for the parts.

Phylex

Phylex

This is the model I have coming. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up.
Nice spectrum even though it's running a little lighter on the umols. I'm sure it's going to perform very well with the combination of Blues and Reds.

I ordered two Mau5 far red from Rapid and they came within a couple of days.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Same deal here. I chose to allow them to assemble it because I could have waited the 7-9 days at the time. Then I could have waited the additional two days he said it would be when I finally reached him. Now, three weeks later and I wish I had just asked for the parts.
Yea, I just emailed him and told him I will just assemble it if it will be a lot quicker. It doesn't look very difficult. Still waiting for a reply tho...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice spectrum even though it's running a little lighter on the umols. I'm sure it's going to perform very well with the combination of Blues and Reds.

I ordered two Mau5 far red from Rapid and they came within a couple of days.

Yeah it’s free so it’s hard for me to complain. There’s some newer models in the works that I’ll be getting demos for as well (so I was told) so we’ll see.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah it’s free so it’s hard for me to complain. There’s some newer models in the works that I’ll be getting demos for as well (so I was told) so we’ll see.

Id like to see 2/3 3000k and 1/3 5000k for flowering.

The spectrum shown seems more for veg. Like a 4-5k veg lamp.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You can actually control the spectrum which is cool imo. I’ll have to wait and see. Either way it’ll fill out the space nicely. I could always supplement it with more lights in a lower spectrum.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You can actually control the spectrum which is cool imo. I’ll have to wait and see. Either way it’ll fill out the space nicely. I could always supplement it with more lights in a lower spectrum.

I guess the Controller can only turn off certain diodes. I want 3-1 3000k at full power.

I will watch to see your results. How cool you got a demo like that to play with. Im a little jealous. ;-)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Hell yeah. I’m excited. They’ve got some newer ones coming out too that I’m interested in so we’ll see.

I actually don’t mind if it is 4000k combined spectrum to be honest. Years ago I did some tests with conversion mh to hps bulbs that were an in between spectrum at around 4500k and had fantastic results. The frostiness and bud density were imo substantially better than straight eye hortilux hps at 2100k.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hell yeah. I’m excited. They’ve got some newer ones coming out too that I’m interested in so we’ll see.

I actually don’t mind if it is 4000k combined spectrum to be honest. Years ago I did some tests with conversion mh to hps bulbs that were an in between spectrum at around 4500k and had fantastic results. The frostiness and bud density were imo substantially better than straight eye hortilux hps at 2100k.

I tested super hps against hortilux blue mh and cmh and the flowers were too compact for equal yield and grew much leafier to the point i would have to defoliate for the lowers.

The solution was to back off the hps a bit during ripening.

There was no quality difference percieved by multiple blind testers and us.

But my boys didn't like the fluffier leafier buds much.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The boards also have the far red leds built in so I’m curious on what that will do to them overall. The guy who started FGI was the head scientist & engineer for fluence and didn’t like the way the company was headed so he started his own company backed by science. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told. It’ll be interesting no matter what though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The boards also have the far red leds built in so I’m curious on what that will do to them overall. The guy who started FGI was the head scientist & engineer for fluence and didn’t like the way the company was headed so he started his own company backed by science. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told. It’ll be interesting no matter what though.

The far red is only for initiating flowering quicker as far as I know.

gwheels

gwheels

I love how the panels are changing shape. This will allow very specific lighting of weird shaped places.

Looks pretty nice to me. I also see HLG has a new fixture that looks like a cob light but is 2 smaller samsung boards. This is kind of like a pair of those.

And those boards grow great!. I dont think i will ever go back to bulb fixture lights again.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

The far red is only for initiating flowering quicker as far as I know.
$102.30 from Rapid LED..Violet UVs for shits and giggles and can be easily swapped out (solderless)
IMG 0994
IMG 0996
Snap3
Optical spectrum

Shamelessly stolen from Platinum LED's site! LOL
?
Far-Red and Infrared Light

On the far end of the spectrum (>700nm) you find far-red and infrared wavelengths of light. Far-red and infrared light have very long wavelengths, and very little energy. Infrared wavelengths are not visible to the human eye and only can be felt as heat. We know that blue and red light is optimal for plant development, but research conducted in 1957 has shown that combining blue light and red light with far-red/infrared light (700-760nm), led to an increased rate of photosynthesis due to the Emerson effect. The protein Phytochrome is the only known receptor that is sensitive to far-red/infrared wavelengths. Plants use Phytrochrome to regulate when a plants is to switch from vegetation state to flowering, and the time of flowering, due to the length of daylight or exposure to artificial light.

The appropriate amounts of far-red and infrared light can also be a very effective at promoting robust stem growth, proper node spacing, and more flowers and fruit. Too much IR radiation can also be an issue because to plant the majority of IR radiation is felt as heat. Growers who use traditional 1000W HPS lighting, which produces excess heat through IR radiation, have to install and operate expensive HVAC systems to mitigate the heat. Too much IR radiation can cause plants to stretch spreading out the plant nodes, can discolor the leaves or even kill the plants. Choosing a light with the right appropriate amount of far-red and infrared light is key for healthy and natural plant growth."

Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

So I decided to be that guy and I started calling every hour yesterday. Again, no one answered the phone. I called this morning when they opened, and low and behold I heard a voice on the other end that wasn't their voicemail. I was told they're shipping my order this afternoon and it should arrive by Friday. (I've heard this before.) Let's hope this time it holds true. I should receive an email with tracking later today. He was very apologetic, but I have mixed feelings about it considering the total lack of communication and unavailability for weeks at a time. It's hard to be excited because I'll end up being 4 weeks behind on my flowering schedule now. Hopefully they at least come and I don't need to start this process from scratch somewhere else.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
So I decided to be that guy and I started calling every hour yesterday. Again, no one answered the phone. I called this morning when they opened, and low and behold I heard a voice on the other end that wasn't their voicemail. I was told they're shipping my order this afternoon and it should arrive by Friday. (I've heard this before.) Let's hope this time it holds true. I should receive an email with tracking later today. He was very apologetic, but I have mixed feelings about it considering the total lack of communication and unavailability for weeks at a time. It's hard to be excited because I'll end up being 4 weeks behind on my flowering schedule now. Hopefully they at least come and I don't need to start this process from scratch somewhere else.

Yeah that sucks. But in a couple weeks this will all be a distant memory. Sucks cuz I’ve been there myself but in the end you’ll have a rock solid setup and you’ll be saving money everyday you run it :-)

Phylex

Phylex

Yeah that sucks. But in a couple weeks this will all be a distant memory. Sucks cuz I’ve been there myself but in the end you’ll have a rock solid setup and you’ll be saving money everyday you run it :)
I sure hope so. I'm just nervous 4 weeks is a long time to be behind. I planned on trying to set it up to be a perpetual grow. So I have three rounds at different stages filling up my rack. I have my seven in the upper chamber overgrowing it needing to be flipped. In the lower chamber I have clones from all of those, plus (3) new strains from seed started 3-4 weeks ago. Granted I won't be keeping all of the clones. But I anticipate keeping some. It just depends on how they turn out and if I find any keepers.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
$102.30 from Rapid LED..Violet UVs for shits and giggles and can be easily swapped out (solderless)
View attachment 859809 View attachment 859810 View attachment 859811 View attachment 859812
Shamelessly stolen from Platinum LED's site! LOL
?
Far-Red and Infrared Light

On the far end of the spectrum (>700nm) you find far-red and infrared wavelengths of light. Far-red and infrared light have very long wavelengths, and very little energy. Infrared wavelengths are not visible to the human eye and only can be felt as heat. We know that blue and red light is optimal for plant development, but research conducted in 1957 has shown that combining blue light and red light with far-red/infrared light (700-760nm), led to an increased rate of photosynthesis due to the Emerson effect. The protein Phytochrome is the only known receptor that is sensitive to far-red/infrared wavelengths. Plants use Phytrochrome to regulate when a plants is to switch from vegetation state to flowering, and the time of flowering, due to the length of daylight or exposure to artificial light.

The appropriate amounts of far-red and infrared light can also be a very effective at promoting robust stem growth, proper node spacing, and more flowers and fruit. Too much IR radiation can also be an issue because to plant the majority of IR radiation is felt as heat. Growers who use traditional 1000W HPS lighting, which produces excess heat through IR radiation, have to install and operate expensive HVAC systems to mitigate the heat. Too much IR radiation can cause plants to stretch spreading out the plant nodes, can discolor the leaves or even kill the plants. Choosing a light with the right appropriate amount of far-red and infrared light is key for healthy and natural plant growth."

Awesome post bro. Lots of great info. I’m looking forward to the experiment and can’t wait for it to arrive. It should be interesting either way.

I am of the belief that spectrums play an important role and the old school thinking has kept us from progressing too far over the years.

I was kind of shocked after re-entering the hobby that more progress hadn’t been made considering I was part of a small group that had great results from the increased blue in our testing. So much so that I switched over completely to the 4500k spectrum for flowering for years until I had to stop growing.

Upon re-entering the hobby I found we had shifted some (from 2200k to 3000k) but imo we need to keep moving closer to 4000k. Even 3500k I believe would give better results based on what I’ve experienced. Which is why I’ve been tempted to have some fixtures made with 3500k leds or rather a mixture of 3000k and 4000k leds to get closer to the sweet spot.

I’m not sure how well 4000k leds will perform as I was using HID lighting when we did our testing years ago but this is a great opportunity for me to find out. All the IG pics shared by FGI has been fairly impressive so I’m optimistic.

I’m not sure it’ll sway many folks but if a few people give it a try and see for themselves it might help us as a community progress and get better results.

Phylex

Phylex

I will say perpetual isn't as easy as I anticipated. It's quite the chore to keep track of who gets what. Keeping track of who's getting plain water, when to start feeding who, whats on the menu for feeding for X,Y,Z, and watering days is all over the map. Keeping good tracking records is a must. But it's more time consuming than I realized. I'm doing my best to get as many of them as possible at the very least, on the same watering days.

Top Bottom