Growing and children

• Thread starter leafmold
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

leafmold

Would like to hear opinions on the matter of exposing children to cannabis cultivation. I know plenty of us do it. How does everyone deal with it. As for mine they know its mommas medicine. For adults only with health problems. My children are just starting school and I think im getting paranoid. Does anyone know about the dare program. Is there one in cali. Would love some input from parenting gardeners.

P

paulycali

I for one wouldn't tell my kids about growing or show them growing until they are out of high school. To much drama there and the immature status. Way to dangerous if you ask me. Medicine is one thing but they don't need to know your growing it unless your up in the hills where every tom dick and harry is doing it
When i have kids i will still be smoking and my kids will know i'm smoking but that don't mean their smoking
There waiting till they are 18 to partake. Of course i'll try to hide it as much as possible. They'll be getting the weed talk that's for sure. They don't need it at that young age unless a medical condition tells different

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Kids come first and that may mean no growing if you cant keep it completely on the down low,kids have enough to worry about without having to try to figure out weed and all the different opinions of it.Soon as your kids get in school they will be exposed to a multitude of different ideas and points of view even the ones you dont agree with (dare) which is what school is for but they dont need us making it harder or more confusing for them.I actually think DARE is a great program,the problem is our government has an herb classified with heroin,it should not even be considered a drug but try explaining that to a 5 year old.

sky high

sky high

Check your State laws. Each seems to be different. "Medical" use will cloud the issue a bit for the authorities but some states still see it as "Child Abuse".

Kids tell friends. It's the nature of the beast. I would examine ALL parameters and decide if there were issues that will be serious problems if things come unraveled.

My kids were told that it could go 2 ways. Keep it among the family and no one else knows...or tell your friends and everyone knows...including their parents...who...if not into it...will stop their kids from associating with you/us. Things were quiet for a bit....but then...as happens....the secret got out. From there I got ripped.....and from there the kids who took the weed got caught....and thus...led the cops right to my house. Because the wife and I are both carded....the situation went from a pot bust to a complete bust for the cops...who could do nothing but stand in my garden filling out paperwork and asking me questions about growing/weed/MMJ/etc. Weird and surreal....and outed....but nothing more than that and they have never been back.....cus they have no reason to come back and don't really give a fuck anyway. Neither do I. Not a big deal. Been there, done that.

But if yer not in a med state or CO/WA..... things aren't gonna go like that AT ALL. I would never have told my kids (they were 16 and 13 at the time) had I been in a non-med State with no protection from the law.

And LOL about em not smoking til 18. Try 13....(and they'll be lookin for pussy or dick as well)...and this is before it goes legal everywhere and pot is as common as tomatoes.....

We were "smokin and trippin" (is all that you'll do) at 13 even though mom and dad said we couldn't take drugs. LOL (change that to "because mom and dad said we couldn't take drugs") Yeah...right. If only it really worked that way and kids actually did what they were told...LOL.

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

Check your State laws. Each seems to be different. "Medical" use will cloud the issue a bit for the authorities but some states still see it as "Child Abuse".......
that'swhat I would be most concerned with ..... you just can't control what other people are gonna think.

We were "smokin and trippin" (is all that you'll do) at 13 even though mom and dad said we couldn't take drugs. LOL (change that to "because mom and dad said we couldn't take drugs") Yeah...right. If only it really worked that way and kids actually did what they were told...LOL.
Sabbath

organicozarks

organicozarks

There is no age, or set rules for this. Each situation is different. Honesty is the best policy in most cases. You don't want your kids to think that a monster lives in that room that they are not allowed to go in. :)

FiveAM

FiveAM

I tell mine, I'm trying to make the world a better place. And, no they have no idea that I grow, only thing I tell them Is they aren't allowed in there, and I'm working. It's pretty vague, but when they get old enough to understand, I'm very confident things will work out just fine. And if not, I'll make it right.

My children are #1 in my life, and the less they know, the better.

soserthc1

soserthc1

very good topic and one i have spent much time and lost sleep over (1 of reasons i currently have nothing inside) First i would like to say if there young and you can't keep it hidden and you in a barbaric state its prob best not to grow as young children will talk .

my youngest is 16 and has known but i am honest with her and told her that alcohol is worse than pot from the jump and she has seen living proof of that as daddy is calm at night and mommy says the same shit ten times after her 3 glass of wine but being that this state could consider it child abuse i shut it down for now and have moved it else where

I would never want to be the cause of my family loosing alot of there possession - with that being said I will not stop fighting this battle and i will grow freely soon .... and when i did chance it all in house knew to act like they had no idea and i would step up and take full blame and say no one knew at least they would only take me and obviously nothing is in my name and lawyer is on standbye......

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Would like to hear opinions on the matter of exposing children to cannabis cultivation. I know plenty of us do it. How does everyone deal with it. As for mine they know its mommas medicine. For adults only with health problems. My children are just starting school and I think im getting paranoid. Does anyone know about the dare program. Is there one in cali. Would love some input from parenting gardeners.
That's what I've told my granddaughter--they are my medicine, they are NOT at all like tobacco, and they're only for grown-ups or for people who need to use them for medicine.

See, I've already raised two boys with the DARE culture, hid what I did from them while they were growing up and never grew for the fear. At the same time, they both had what I will simply call 'special needs' and were on Rx medication, and let me tell you I had a HELL of a time helping them understand the dichotomy between prescribed drugs (that can make you sick or kill you) and 'illegal' drugs. They went on to have some issues with other drugs later in life, and I feel that I could have, and should have been more honest and taken a more active role in teaching them what *I* felt they should know.

Conversely, I was very open with them about sex (they never saw me having sex, of course), I discussed it very factually with them and as a result they have safe, healthy sex lives, haven't caught any diseases or knocked anyone up. I feel I can say unequivocally that's because their mother was open and honest with them and took responsibility for teaching them what they needed to know, and I began the moment they started asking questions about the difference between male and female. I do exactly the same thing with my granddaughter and, as a result, I'm the only person who's really taught her anything about sex. I will continue with that role, as her parents are both very uncomfortable discussing anything about sex with her, so her valid questions go unanswered otherwise.

I feel that by taking that same sort of action with my granddaughter, by being proactive in teaching her not only how cannabis is used, or not, but how tobacco, alcohol, and any other medication, food or herb--basically our bodies, that I'm giving her the tools to make the best decisions she can.

All that said, California is a state where certain counties, counties that aren't so cannabis-friendly in the first place, have further federal incentives to remove children from homes where parents use medical cannabis. So if I had a child living in the home, I would be 100% certain that I have my shit as tight as I did when my own boys were small and it was illegal.
Kids come first and that may mean no growing if you cant keep it completely on the down low,kids have enough to worry about without having to try to figure out weed and all the different opinions of it.Soon as your kids get in school they will be exposed to a multitude of different ideas and points of view even the ones you dont agree with (dare) which is what school is for but they dont need us making it harder or more confusing for them.I actually think DARE is a great program,the problem is our government has an herb classified with heroin,it should not even be considered a drug but try explaining that to a 5 year old.
I have and I do. It's my job to set right the wrongs she may be taught by others who are ignorant.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I have a very inquisitive 9yr old and after much debate and turmoil i decided to take the teach him what he can understand approach. I only did this when i new i could empower him with "family only info" i didnt want someone else giving him false info. I ha him watch that dr. Sanji Gupta called weed recently. Im glad i did that it also answered alot of his questions.
Confu.

J

Jalisco Kid

You need to know before you grow. I had an internet friend who lost his kids for 9 months. They lived with complete strangers not with other family members. I am sure that had to effect their lives. He followed all known guidelines and had his meds and his grow locked up. Feds can be vindictive Bastards. I lost my house that has been in the family for 40 years when I could not remember anything or anyone. Wasn't even tried with a fed crime.JK

soserthc1

soserthc1

Yea that was something that used to make me really angry as a kid, my parents would always try to ditch me around the same time everyday so they could sneak off to there bedroom and smoke together . they would refuse to open the door to talk to me and acted like i was out of line for needing them to do parent stuff in real time hated how lazy and quite they would get after they smoked... in 9th grade i saw picture of a plant in hightimes lol and realized they were growing. didn't have a clue what it looked like before i saw that hightimes cause no one ever talked to me about it . saw a ton of kids get there parents/neighbors/family jacked in highschool :mask:

that was when mj was frond on as a supporter of marijuana i smoke in my room at night and i simply say leave me alone till i'm done as i have educated my 16 yr old the mj is not a bad thing and once she is an adult , she can make her own decision on if it is something for her . Would much rather her smoke a joint than get waste on booze and do things she will regret - the only thing mj will make her regret is all the food she ate and she is pretty good at emptying the food cabinet now only to say " do u think i'm getting fat "

.She still has yet to realize that you never tell a woman she is fat no matter what.....um huh yes hunny you look fine....lol

You need to know before you grow. I had an internet friend who lost his kids for 9 months. They lived with complete strangers not with other family members. I am sure that had to effect their lives. He followed all known guidelines and had his meds and his grow locked up. Feds can be vindictive Bastards. I lost my house that has been in the family for 40 years when I could not remember anything or anyone. Wasn't even tried with a fed crime.JK

Damn bro sorry to hear that and you still grow ballsy but i suppose gotta pay for the next home.....

DO IT

DO IT

Take the "need to know" approach on this topic. The first thing a lid will do when showed mj in school will be me daddy or mommy has a room full of that stuff. So if they don't need to know don't tell them. It would be best to keep your family out of harms way(the police and thiefs).

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

I don't have children, but plenty of my friends and family do that smoke cannabis and one friend who smokes and grows it.

Whilst each have slightly different approaches they all share one thing, they don't hide it. They don't make a song and dance out if either. To their children it's normal and so it isn't something that even occurs to them to think about.

None smoke in their direct presence but then if their children do come out into their garden whilst they were smoking they just casually stop instead of jumping around and waving the smoke away like it's something bad.

Not many will agree but I think be honest. I know it's a stereotype, but look at the reputation girls who go to convent schools have. Locked away from boys and actively encouraged away from sex and all things lewd they more often than not rebel hard against it in later life and become more promiscuous than others raised differently.

My closest friend who's smkoed around his children his whole life now has a 15 year old girl. He's an extreme example as he never hid rolling up infront of her or smoking it around her (they're tobacco smokers who did this far worse thing indoors too) and she doesn't have any interest in it whatsoever. It holds no mystery or illusion for her and so she's never wanted to try it. Her friends on the other hand are all weed monkies.

So, in short, I think be honest. Tell your children in a non threatening way that it isn't something you talk about with others and I for one believe they'll grow up more rounded as a result.

budboy299

budboy299

I had one mother of a plant in my yard one year. Over 8 feet tall and almost 11 wide...HUGE.
While I was at work my daughter had a couple girlfriends over (ages 14 yrs old at the time)....They went into the back yard and as kids do, She pulled out her camera to take pictures of each other.

Later that night when I checked her facebook (to have facebook, she had to make me a "friend" or she could not have it)...there she was with her friends running and jumping with the massive plant clear as day in the background. I had to tell her to take the pics down as I "thought some bad person might identify our house through the pics)

I can only imagine if the pics stayed up who could of stumbled on them. I no longer grow outdoors on my property because of this.

Top Bottom