Growing and Renting

• Thread starter virgil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

virgil

Hello friends,

Just wondering if people have advice when it comes to renting a house for growing.

do you prefer big rental companies or just people who have an extra house or two.

What kind of questions or research would you do?

Obviously owning a home solves these problems but some people are still serfs paying their feudal lords all they work for. Don't need anyone pointing out this obvious and painful fact that many face everyday.

Thanks..

M

Mr.LovaLova

The best thing to do is find an independent home owner who is willing to sell the house. Look for an out of state number on the ad, (it may be a second home and they may never come around). What you can do then is offer an Option to Buy clause in the lease. Tell the owner that you really want to buy the house, but you don't have all your ducks in a row at the present time and see if they will give you the option to buy at the end of the term. Just tell them that you will take care of all repairs, maintainance, lawn care, and even offer to help them pay the home owners insurance. This will eliminate any need for the landlord to enter the residence. Just a jumping off point, hope this helps.

B

bicycle racer

good advice though i dont know much on this subject.

B

BayArea

I found meeting the land lord gave me a better idea of how he or she maintains the property - if at all. Trusting some one, even if they are "unaware" of the situation is important. You want notice for example when some one is showing up for regular maintainence. Whos responsible for maintaining the yard? Snow removal - if it applies? Think of any scenerio where people may need access to the property in the future and try to handle most things personally. This is another good reason to meet a land lord. They will be more inclined to allow you to handle rental issues, if any occur, in the future. I increased the value of my last lady's property tremendously, little did she know the real nice grass - was grown inside. She cried when I moved. I believe working with reality companies take the relasionship aspect out of the scenerio which I suppose has it's benefits as well. I simply have had better luck dealing with people I meet. I've grown in 6 rental properties - none with a problem.

t.o.med

t.o.med

change the locks with high security deadbolts.if its a house your renting i like using real estate companys and then perferably its owned by someone who lives out of state or province and the real estate agent is acting as property manager. they will never come unless there is a problem. the other type of landlord ive had good succes with are sikhs the indians that were turbans. i find immigrant landlords that are a differrent race from you good because there is no familiarity same with neighbors i like being the only white guy around nobody ever trys to get to friendly a nod or wave and thats it. the other thing i look for is an attached garage so you can pull your car or truck inside and no one can see what your loading or unloading. if i thought long enough i could come up with many more but thats it for now.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

All killer advice. My landlord lives two floors above me, and although he knows I smoke, for medicinal purposes. I don't know how to break it too him. Right now, power is included in my rent. One side is free power. Other is, no 1k, don't want to push it. Thinking about trying to ease him in on growing with a few potted plants in the backyard and then if that goes well, offering him some dough for the difference in power.

fractal

fractal

I'm moving into a place with a funny story behind it. The owners are international missionaries, going to be in asia for a year so that is good. Their previous tenant seems to be a grower, it was a family friend's granddaughter that lived there and the power bills were 400-500 when she lived there compared to an average of $150. The owners were stumped, they just could not figure out what was going on so although they said "no medical marijuana, it leaves tar in your brain and causes birth defects" they obviously have no clue about growing.

The funniest part to the story is that the owners are super chill, loving caring people who work with children in poor countries. They are totally pan-deist, into buddha and shiva and namaste this namaste that. But they believe pot leaves tar in your brain, I have no clue how that happens.

C

CAPO

love this thread!
best landlord is the one who just wants his check, wants you to maintain and fix everything yourself and is just plain ol too busy to be nosy.

always keep trash picked up and yard lookin good.

oh ya and lova lova- sometimes with lease options people want to do routine inspections to make sure you're protecting their investment in case you don't buy. people wanting to sell have their mind fixated on the house and the money they'll get when they sell.

H

hbstoner

I do not rent anymore (WEEE!!) but I do have a lot of experience renting and growing. As some people have said meeting the landlord is a good idea to get a feel on how weird they are. Going with bigger companies has always been a bigger pain in the ass for me personally. More apartment wide upgrades, fire safety checks. Never worth it.

Renting and growing is all about being ready to tear shit down at a moments notice. So if you going to grow in a rental.. use a grow tent! Best purchase you will ever make. Good luck!

V

virgil

thanks for all the comments..

There certainly isn't a magic answer on this one.

I've always found big agencies are kind of live and let live but they also have people coming over to check the heat before winter, carbon monoxide detectors the next month and so forth.

I've always wished I could come up with a reasonable excuse for demanding privacy before I sign the lease. I'm just paranoid that being the young guy I am, they'll be on to me.

thanks again

C

CAPO

you could rely on your intuition and test them by saying things such as your last landlord walked right in on you and your girl havin sex without so much as a knock and that you couldn't bear the thought of goin through that again. see what they say.

smooth talk and warm fuzzy feelings go a long way, make sure they know that you're responsible not a partyer. maybe you work and go to school with crazy hours and if they need anything, anything at all that all they need to do is call, but give you a day or so to get back to them as your life is pretty hectic with soo much goin on.
if your paranoid, just keep your grow small and concealable till such time as you mature and quit puttin up with people's shit or you're able to buy one of your own.

D

dusty

thanks for all the comments..

There certainly isn't a magic answer on this one.

I've always found big agencies are kind of live and let live but they also have people coming over to check the heat before winter, carbon monoxide detectors the next month and so forth.

I've always wished I could come up with a reasonable excuse for demanding privacy before I sign the lease. I'm just paranoid that being the young guy I am, they'll be on to me.

thanks again

Sup bro your best game plan is to say nothing extra and do nothing extra and just give it a while before you get started in a rental to get an idea of how the situation with the people you're renting from is going to be. the ball is in your court because you're paying them the rent money they need to keep the property. All you have to do is pay on time every time and don't rack up any complaints from doing construction late at night, light leaks, smell etc., you've gotta keep it tight in a rental.

P

Pandaman

Also... They have no right to go through your personal belongings. That said, if you have a tent, they legally cannot open it.

Just a thought.

Peace

S

SSHZ

After a bad experience 20 years ago, I will recommend never growing in a rented unit. Landlords, police, etc. have the right to enter the premises if they think there is an emergency. Cops often use the "sick or ill" tenant cover and enter. If they find anything, they immediately leave, seal the area and go get a search warrant to make it all legal. I'm of the opinion it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong and you're found out...... but sorry, I don't mean to scare anyone. I've just been there/done that before and know first hand how much it sucks.....

N

negative 1

you gotta meet the landlord. renting from a small time landlord could be bad in the sence that thats all they got and want to keep it as nice as possible to expand. your best bet is to pay three months of rent in advance that way they see that you have the money, are a responsible person and, are willing to keep up your end of the deal and then some. also in your lease it should state that unless there is an emergency <but if there is you will likely be the one to report it unless it's disasterous> 24 hours are needed to gain access to your apartment. you really want to meet the person and see what kind of vibe you get from them. that is how i handled it back when i needed to do it like that. good uck and happy hunting. also keep in mind not to jump at the first thing you see because it is convenient setup sometimes grows take a little bit of fenangling nut it's better to fenangle than take a unneccesary risk on something iffy. just make sure you feel comfortable through it all. also BUY A CARBON FILTER BIGGER THAN YOU NEED!

C

CAPO

After re-reading my post I like what Dusty had to say as well as neg1!

V

virgil

Also... They have no right to go through your personal belongings. That said, if you have a tent, they legally cannot open it.

Just a thought.

Peace

thanks again for all the responses.

pandaman cracked me up. hopefully it doesn't come down to that.

G

growhard

What Capo and Negative 1 said:
a. Keep your yard in tip top condition (which also helps keep bugs and bad fungi away).
b. Pay three months in advance... and no more.... or it raises more questions. Just make it an offer on the lease application if they can hand over the keys on a certain date.
It also pays to read the police bulletins on 'How to spot a grower.' This gives obvious, but sound advice such as condensation in the windows, unkept yard, tenants come and go like clock work for one hour each day.... it may illuminate some of your habits that may be seen as dubious behavior.
Also, no pets! This can lead to the occasional inspection.
Speak to the neighbors before renting anything. Ask them if there are any problems or complaints in the neighborhood. You will also make friends with your neighbors, which will lead to them telling you about anyone snooping around your house while you are not there (invaluable). You will be amazed at what you will find out... "There used to be a skunk in the neighborhood a couple of years ago.... but ever since those young boys moved in next door, the skunk seems to have come back as well!"

fractal

fractal

From experience then,

NEVER mention your grow. Recently I have seen "prop 215 friendly landlord wanted" ads and it makes me laugh. Would you ask your landlord if they were cool with you storing valium in the cupboard? Just do it, if you are going to do it and do not destroy the home.

ALWAYS grow the fastest strain that satisfies your cleintel. A 7 week kush is going to keep the money coming in WAY more reliably than a 10 week sour D or 12 week haze. So grow a plant or three for headstash and monocrop your product that is for sale. Mostly though, this limits your exposure to checkups on the rental unit. If you get a 24 hour notice and it is 45 days in, you can harvest a kush plant and have some decent product. Take it from someone who has had to throw out pounds worth of plants in week 5-6 because of this very thing.

Monocrop = ONE, one variety of cannabis per light or better yet per room. ONE FUCKING VARIETY. You get carried away, you have an ounce each of 19 strains. Good luck selling that. Focus on pounds not ounces.

Do NOT be afraid to die either. It beats any length of time spent in prison with demons who want to penetrate your asshole.

I don't want you to mistake me for encouraging commercial growing over all else. But when renting we have very few luxuries like privacy and you just need to get down to business, don't waste time and soon you could buy your own place and not worry about renting ever again.

Top Bottom