Growing closer to the Equator - Malawi to be specific

• Thread starter disbenniemand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

disbenniemand

Hi Guys

Advice needed please. Can somebody help with advice please. Looking to setup a grow in Malawi. I have checked daylight hours per day per month. Its only in mid - late September that daylight hours go over 12hours of daylight. Reaching a max of 12:53 towards the end of Desember. And then once again dropping down gradually. But nothing ever above 13hours or more of daylight. I wanted to start my plants indoors over the end of the shorter days so that when summer and longer days of 12 and more daylight hours start I can plant them outdoors. My concern is that plants wont get ''enough daylight'' and will begin to flower as soon as I plant them outside.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ben

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hi Guys

Advice needed please. Can somebody help with advice please. Looking to setup a grow in Malawi. I have checked daylight hours per day per month. Its only in mid - late September that daylight hours go over 12hours of daylight. Reaching a max of 12:53 towards the end of Desember. And then once again dropping down gradually. But nothing ever above 13hours or more of daylight. I wanted to start my plants indoors over the end of the shorter days so that when summer and longer days of 12 and more daylight hours start I can plant them outdoors. My concern is that plants wont get ''enough daylight'' and will begin to flower as soon as I plant them outside.

Kind Regards

Ben
For most of the strains available to N. Americans and Europeans today, I think they will flower as soon as you put them outside. Your best bet might be to veg them indoors until they are the size you'd like them, then transplant outside. Otherwise, stick to local strains.

If you go from 18/6 indoors to 12/12 or 13/11 outdoors, you will have a stretch period for a few weeks, unlike plants that are grown outdoors the entire time. So whatever the size when you put them outside, expect a lot of stretch.

I've been to Zimbabwe for work a few times. I would LOVE to try growing weed there. Keep us posted on whatever you do.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Wait… This just occurred to me:

Can you put some artificial lights near your plants when they're outside? They don't have to be powerful grow lights — just enough light to prevent flowering.

There was a well-known breeder from several years back (Reeferman) who grew his crops for making seed in Colombia, near the Equator. In order to keep them in veg, he would put some 150 W CFL lights near the plants. When he wanted them to flower, he'd turn them off. You would only need to have them on a few hours per day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi Guys

Kind Regards

Ben
You are south of the equator like Hawaii is above, the guys from there would have the best advice...What are your laws like?....advertising you are growing something at night with lights on where it is illegal can be sketchy

R

ritoMox

Wait… This just occurred to me:

Can you put some artificial lights near your plants when they're outside? They don't have to be powerful grow lights — just enough light to prevent flowering.

There was a well-known breeder from several years back (Reeferman) who grew his crops for making seed in Colombia, near the Equator. In order to keep them in veg, he would put some 150 W CFL lights near the plants. When he wanted them to flower, he'd turn them off. You would only need to have them on a few hours per day.
Link: Keeping plants in veg with cheap lights👍🏻

Reactions: Jmp
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hi Guys

Kind Regards

Ben
Can you get some native strains? They would be used to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom