Growing From Seed For First Time In Nova Scotia

• Thread starter TheVesuvius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheVesuvius

TheVesuvius

So I'm growing from seed here in Nova Scotia, Canada for the first time I always grew from clones which I usually purchased right when it's time to plant outside. So my question is, when do I start my seeds inside? They are feminized seeds and all I have for any light besides the windowsills is a 2' florescent and a 2' LED bar. I want them ready to go out mid May. Not sure when to start the seeds Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tdabbz719

Tdabbz719

Whenever you think you are ready, pop em. You wanna veg anywhere between 4-6+ weeks before you get the flip and put em outside. All Really depends on the size of the plant you want in the end. Hope this somewhat helps. Happy growing!:smoking::cool:

BudBogart

BudBogart

One concern is getting root bound. You can grow a one gallon pot inside for 6-8 weeks, so you could start now. If you pots are substantially smaller than a gallon you won’t be able to grow them very long without outgrowing the pot (root bound). I grow feminized outdoors in California. I am switching from square containers to round pots because I don’t like the squared off tight bends in the roots I was getting from smaller square containers. I go inside from mid March until approx. may 8th about 7 weeks. Happy growing.

TheVesuvius

TheVesuvius

One concern is getting root bound. You can grow a one gallon pot inside for 6-8 weeks, so you could start now. If you pots are substantially smaller than a gallon you won’t be able to grow them very long without outgrowing the pot (root bound). I grow feminized outdoors in California. I am switching from square containers to round pots because I don’t like the squared off tight bends in the roots I was getting from smaller square containers. I go inside from mid March until approx. may 8th about 7 weeks. Happy growing.

May I ask how many hours of light do you give them from seedling to when they're ready to go outside?
Like I said, I'm new to growing from seed.. Lol

Jbellsmoke

Jbellsmoke

So I'm growing from seed here in Nova Scotia, Canada for the first time I always grew from clones which I usually purchased right when it's time to plant outside. So my question is, when do I start my seeds inside? They are feminized seeds and all I have for any light besides the windowsills is a 2' florescent and a 2' LED bar. I want them ready to go out mid May. Not sure when to start the seeds Any help would be greatly appreciated.
U plan on flowering outside. I' m in Ontario and in summer I usually veg outside and bring them in to flower. Temps in Canada to f'ed up. Always been scared to lose them in flower outside. Anyway I would start them in may and don' put them out till at least mid June. Don' no what weathers like on east coast but still can get pretty chilly here in April and may some nights

Jbellsmoke

Jbellsmoke

Try to break them into the natural light as well, minimize chances of shocking them from changing light source.

TheVesuvius

TheVesuvius

U plan on flowering outside. I' m in Ontario and in summer I usually veg outside and bring them in to flower. Temps in Canada to f'ed up. Always been scared to lose them in flower outside. Anyway I would start them in may and don' put them out till at least mid June. Don' no what weathers like on east coast but still can get pretty chilly here in April and may some nights

I've always planted my clones mid may and harvested end of Sept to mid Oct..

madgrower

madgrower

Plant them now

BudBogart

BudBogart

May I ask how many hours of light do you give them from seedling to when they're ready to go outside?
Like I said, I'm new to growing from seed.. Lol
Good question. To determine, figure how many hours between sun up and sun down in the middle of may will you have? That is how many hours indoor light they need by mid may when you plant them to prevent them shocking and start flowering. So you need to slowly bring the light hours down, maybe 15 minutes less light every 3 days. Now, you can start them under 20-24 hours light, but getting the hours down to say 14 by mid may may be a challenge.
Because of this, I give my young plants only about 16 hours of light. Then it is quite easy to make certain they are acclimated by planting time. They grow plenty large in that amount of time to be awesome specimens by the time they go outside.

patchgrower

patchgrower

ive been starting seeds in nova scotia for a long time. i think you should start them soon but like others said dont let them get root bound as it can really screw up growth and put you way behind . i start in a 4 inch pot usually for about 3 weeks until the roots are well established. i also use canna root starter as it really seems to get them them going quick.then into a 1 gal pot until its time to plant outdoor.when it does get close i always take the girls out in the early spring[toward end of may but probably before the last frost so be careful] and put them in a partially shaded spot to harden them off.then bring them in at night i do this until the last frost has gone by, usually early june.then i seem to have problems with raccoons digging them out at the first of the season. so to combat this i leave them in the 1 gal pot and put it on top of the 10 gal pot which has my organic mixture in it.they dig up the big bucket but not the plant and they only do it in early spring. seems once the smell from the compost drops down they dont bother with it anymore.i dont know if you really have enough light to start them properly so keep it close to the plants but not touching. just wondering what kind of seeds you bought.anyway good luck and pray for a wicked summer .

TheVesuvius

TheVesuvius

ive been starting seeds in nova scotia for a long time. i think you should start them soon but like others said dont let them get root bound as it can really screw up growth and put you way behind . i start in a 4 inch pot usually for about 3 weeks until the roots are well established. i also use canna root starter as it really seems to get them them going quick.then into a 1 gal pot until its time to plant outdoor.when it does get close i always take the girls out in the early spring[toward end of may but probably before the last frost so be careful] and put them in a partially shaded spot to harden them off.then bring them in at night i do this until the last frost has gone by, usually early june.then i seem to have problems with raccoons digging them out at the first of the season. so to combat this i leave them in the 1 gal pot and put it on top of the 10 gal pot which has my organic mixture in it.they dig up the big bucket but not the plant and they only do it in early spring. seems once the smell from the compost drops down they dont bother with it anymore.i dont know if you really have enough light to start them properly so keep it close to the plants but not touching. just wondering what kind of seeds you bought.anyway good luck and pray for a wicked summer .

Thanks. I'm starting them and I purchased a full spectrum light. Hoping it will do until its time to put them out. Just not really sure how many hours of light to give them before I plant them outside

Top Bottom