Growing in a modern condo ??

• Thread starter 1080p
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

1080p

Hey, finally getting my own place.... My life long thirst to grow will finally be quenched... i hope.

I plan on doing a small microgrow, 1x1k with around 10-16 plants.

I understand i will have to pay extra attention to odour control etc...

but I want opinion's on if this is doable, or completely a bad idea. The building is new, approx 2 years old... do you think a full 1k setup (lights plus fans, scrubbers and a 4 bulb t5ho for vegging) will raise a red flag ??

There's a washer and dryer in the condo, but people don't wash and dry 12/12 lol.

I just ordered DNA genetics Kushberry... I'm very excited to be on the road to growing my own dank... it makes me jump out of bed every morning. Sorry if that sounds gay... but you know what i mean. Holla!

P.S
What does everyone think about illumalights products ?? (b.c based company) I'm thinking about getting a 1k air cooled kit and possibly a tent from them ??

open to all comments... all of your help is much needed and appreciated.

~p

O

Old HAGgler

hiya

i grew in a 1 bedroom apt with a walk in closet for almost 2 years.

i used all t'5's a 2x2 closet with a 2' 6 bulb t5 for my veg and clones

and did a 4' 6bulb t5 with a 4' 4 bulb t5 for side lighting. gave me premium choice nuggies.

i ended up just punching a 4" hole in the wall into a closet on the other side. put a 4" fan with a carbon scrubber in that closet, so when i shut the door it had nowhere else to go.

worked great! it can be good you just HAVE TO BE VIGILANT. dont bring grow shit inside in the daytime when anyone can see you and sure as hell dont harvest/trim right next to the front door. good neighbors saved me on that one lol.

as well. use rubber hooks for anything you put on the walls. the people above below and to the side of you WILL notice the vibrating. luckily if your by a bathroom or something, say its the fan in there. just kinda teaches you to do shit proper and not just set it on the counter ya know?

P

paulycali

It can work! You will definately need a scrubber for sure and a silencer or baffler to reduce the noise, as those inline fans can be pretty loud. As your electricity will be higher than your neighbors or other apt's in the complex, keep the use of appliances and so forth to a minimun. So there wont be no red flag there just in case they moniter electric usuage. Either way you should be fine but you will have to get the right scrubber and definately a silencer or noise reducer for your exhaust fan/inline fans. Good luck and let the growing begin

1080p

Thanks for the replies dudeski's.

Eastender - thanks for the tips, i looked at your album. Clean setup! What do you mean you have a pay as you go system ?? you mean that you pay utility on top of rent right ? opposed to paying an inclusive fee.

and... after reading that LED vs HID thread that's popp'n right now, i think ill be skipping LED for a while... not just because i read that thread, but from my own beleifs aswell ...i know all of the obvious benefits, but someone mentioned the wavelength not being what it should be due to costs, and i think that's bang on. It's still to new to growers... i'm not seeing enough positives results on the interwebs, all im seeing is salespeople doing what they do!! My chance to grow is FINALLY fucking here... and im gonna go with the traditional HID, heck... I'm still enjoying the advance of digital ballasts lol....

Hag - thanks for the pointers! will look into rubber hooks. Where did you run your exhaust too ??

also this might be a stupid question... but adjacent to the walk in closet, there's the washer and dryer... the washer's ducting goes into the ceiling, i could easily "Y" that off and exhaust into that... however, it could also be just a really bad idea... i know it's better to run the ducting outside to the balcony, but the place is nice... i don't wanna bring a chick over and make love under the silver ducting lmao!!

1080p

thanks pauly, any advice on where to exhaust ?? also... I'm sure they have a hightech utility monitoring system... , they will see the peaks at 12 hours on and the dips at 12 off... fuck, i wish i could build a wood lodge in the middle of no where and do my thing!! damn.. leave me the fuck' be and let me grow my plants already!!

O

Old HAGgler

my exhaust just went into that closet. its not really that much heat ya know? even during the summer i'd just keep that closet cracked. the air was going through the scrubber out so i didnt mind it just coming back into the house.

yeah i had a fireplace, that was very very nice. just burn all the evidence.

next to a washer and dryer room? dude your golden, not only with that help with the sound and everything, but that could be your solution to venting, but having that much more appliances in your apt is def key. with the AC washer dryer dish washer everything, dude 1k your fine. if anyone asks just say something, i mean my computer and guitar set up alone is about 1.2 kw with it all running. not 12 hours a day mind you, but still its enough power say you love your shit or something lol.

when you move in switch all your lighting to 13w cfl's. from the cieling fans my room and bathroom i switch 18 60 w bulbs into 13 w. so i turned about 1 kw into 250~ watts. i know they arent on all the time, but still man on that monthly bill everything counts, especially in a small place situation.

AS WELL

i've always had a theory that if your using the power your using from the second you move in - less suspiciious as there is no "jump" in your utilities... especially in a time where using the ac is down so your bill should go down not up.

N

NugNation

I ran a 1kw setup in a 4x4 ft. tent for a while in my 1 bedroom apt, it's definitely doable. I would highly suggest getting a tent as they go up and come down in less than an hour. Makes removing everything a lot easier if you need to. You cannot go wrong with the secret jardin dr120. You're going to need a 6inch inline fan minimum, I used mine as my scrubber/exhaust/air cooling and it worked like a charm. I had the filter and fan hung high in the tent so it sucked all the hot air from the top, blew it through the light and out of the tent. I needed a little a/c to keep things in the sweet spot but it was pretty easy to pull off. Venting through the dryer port would be a great idea, it just might be hard with 6 inch ducting.

Z

zagsthebutch

currently running a 1k setup in a 5x5 tent i dont exhaust out a window tho i exhaust into a bathroom

1080p

I ran a 1kw setup in a 4x4 ft. tent for a while in my 1 bedroom apt, it's definitely doable. I would highly suggest getting a tent as they go up and come down in less than an hour. Makes removing everything a lot easier if you need to. You cannot go wrong with the secret jardin dr120. You're going to need a 6inch inline fan minimum, I used mine as my scrubber/exhaust/air cooling and it worked like a charm. I had the filter and fan hung high in the tent so it sucked all the hot air from the top, blew it through the light and out of the tent. I needed a little a/c to keep things in the sweet spot but it was pretty easy to pull off. Venting through the dryer port would be a great idea, it just might be hard with 6 inch ducting.

I'm not sure of the dimensions im working with yet...but if i stick the tent in the walk in closet, will c02 be a problem ?? I will invest in a good inline fan scrubber system... but will i need to bring fresh air, co2 in ??

C

cheech

can you grow in your utility room? if so you can duct the exhaust from the hot water heater. i do that for flip flop rooms and it keeps the co2 at a constant 700 ppm in small bedrooms. in a tend you could easily have 1500 ppm constantly. you would have to buy a co2 monitor though and if you went this route you would also want a co monitor.

in a tent you are going to need to exhaust the heat from that 1000 watt. but if you have a scrubber it's just a matter of running the exhaust from the scrubber out of the closet. then fresh air will replace the scrubbed air. you need to exhaust it from the closet though, not just the tent, that way fresh air from the bedroom will make its way into the closet then your tent. can you leave a window cracked in the bedroom for fresh air? if so you will be fine. if not i think you will still be fine with that small a grow.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Do not worry about the electric co. If your bill is in the few hundreds then you maybe might be worried.
A PC runs on average 400 watts. A space heater uses around 1200 watts. There are so many things that use up electricity that you do not need to worry about it unless you use around 4-6k in lighting. 2k in lights will not even be noticable.
If your worried about your bill, Start running your dryer as as you move in. Also your oven.
Some things you can do to help a little. Use all Floros in your lights around your house, Those add savings compared to regular light bulbs. The floros run about 12 watts compared to a standard bulb of 60 watts. Most houses have about 10 or so lights in the unit and those add up. Switch those out to the lower 12 watt and you save just by doing that. Also do not use your heater at all. Man up and put a hoodie on or wear slippers around the house. Done let your girl move in or she will cost you more than the electricity usage. girls are always freezing so have extra blankets.

Pretty much the electric co. exects each room in the house to use around 1k in watts. So if you have a 1 bedroom and a living room, Bathroom. thats 3000 watts right there. Dont worry about your bill. Worry about the smell. Do not tell anyone EVER!!!!!!!!!!! If you do that is where you should worry, Not the electric usage.

So out of this I hope you got a few things like...Dont be a pussy, Dont show and tell or it will get told, do your laundry at the laundry mat. Use lots and lots of electricity ASAp wehn you move in. Or plug your lights in right away so there is not a spike in usage. The last thing Ill say it again Dont fucking tell nobody or show it off. Its best if play it off like you got your nugs from someone else after harvest so you can charge whatever you want.

B

Bobby Smith

Do not worry about the electric co. If your bill is in the few hundreds then you maybe might be worried.
A PC runs on average 400 watts. A space heater uses around 1200 watts. There are so many things that use up electricity that you do not need to worry about it unless you use around 4-6k in lighting. 2k in lights will not even be noticable.
If your worried about your bill, Start running your dryer as as you move in. Also your oven.
Some things you can do to help a little. Use all Floros in your lights around your house, Those add savings compared to regular light bulbs. The floros run about 12 watts compared to a standard bulb of 60 watts. Most houses have about 10 or so lights in the unit and those add up. Switch those out to the lower 12 watt and you save just by doing that. Also do not use your heater at all. Man up and put a hoodie on or wear slippers around the house. Done let your girl move in or she will cost you more than the electricity usage. girls are always freezing so have extra blankets.

Pretty much the electric co. exects each room in the house to use around 1k in watts. So if you have a 1 bedroom and a living room, Bathroom. thats 3000 watts right there. Dont worry about your bill. Worry about the smell. Do not tell anyone EVER!!!!!!!!!!! If you do that is where you should worry, Not the electric usage.

So out of this I hope you got a few things like...Dont be a pussy, Dont show and tell or it will get told, do your laundry at the laundry mat. Use lots and lots of electricity ASAp wehn you move in. Or plug your lights in right away so there is not a spike in usage. The last thing Ill say it again Dont fucking tell nobody or show it off. Its best if play it off like you got your nugs from someone else after harvest so you can charge whatever you want.

Cosign on all the above, save for the "few hundreds" statement.

I've been intentionally running my central air at 66F for the duration of the hottest summer on record as I finish renovating my garage and getting ready to run 3000+ watts in there, not including AC and chillers.

Last bill was $350 @72kwH a day, and I doubt too many eyebrows were raised at my electric company.

Gonna try to keep it right at $350 year round, and probably will take summers off to avoid $700 electric bills.

B

Bobby Smith

Oh, but to get back on point - I've had tons of buddies who live in condos in urban areas, and their maintenance men were in their condos at least twice a year (I think even more) for inspections and other random shit - I'd HIGHLY recommend asking around for how often those dudes come around before I invested serious money on my setup.

420king-MASSES

you should be able to run 2 1000 watt lights per bedroom with out even getting a second glance with all your appliances hooked up and running reason being is computers suk up about that much energy and big screens do as well so its when you get commercial that you start raising flags

1080p

can you grow in your utility room? if so you can duct the exhaust from the hot water heater. i do that for flip flop rooms and it keeps the co2 at a constant 700 ppm in small bedrooms. in a tend you could easily have 1500 ppm constantly. you would have to buy a co2 monitor though and if you went this route you would also want a co monitor.

in a tent you are going to need to exhaust the heat from that 1000 watt. but if you have a scrubber it's just a matter of running the exhaust from the scrubber out of the closet. then fresh air will replace the scrubbed air. you need to exhaust it from the closet though, not just the tent, that way fresh air from the bedroom will make its way into the closet then your tent. can you leave a window cracked in the bedroom for fresh air? if so you will be fine. if not i think you will still be fine with that small a grow.

Thanks Cheech, I don't have a utility room.... the place has a kitchen, living room bed and bath, and a closet for the wash and dryer. That's it!.... Also, i def can keep the window cracked, i prefer to sleep like that.. even in the winter. It does get cold where I am... but im sure the thermostat/central heating unit for the apt can regulate the temp swing....

LOL... fucking gold. Thanks for the advice... I should have been clearer on my power consumption situation, I know 1k is nothing to worry about in relation to the elec company... but, in my scenario... I've signed a lease on someone else's condo... i don't own it, im renting... sublease. I pay a inclusive fee for rent+all utility. The previous tenants to occupy this place, was a couple. So that's gonna set precedent somewhat... you know ?? On the other hand, i am a musician... and the entire condo will be packed with studio gear... I have a pretty elaborate studio. I told them this... also in terms of the strict "no pet policy" on the lease... i told them i have a thing for marine aquariums, and asked if i could have a tank setup, they said that's fine... I'm not gonna set up a tank :) so basically, im more worried about the previous precedent or reference they will be using... but im gonna get my 1k light and as much of the setup as my piggy bank permits so i can set my own got'damn precedent in the first month. If they ask how im using more elec than a couple... i'll just remind them of the tank and my studio etc... and they can suck an egg... cause that's my lifestyle. I'm gonna be super efficent with everything else though... plan out my laundry, change the bulbs to fluro's etc... save my juice for the girls. thanks again.

Oh, but to get back on point - I've had tons of buddies who live in condos in urban areas, and their maintenance men were in their condos at least twice a year (I think even more) for inspections and other random shit - I'd HIGHLY recommend asking around for how often those dudes come around before I invested serious money on my setup.

This is a great point... also a bit of a buzz kill. I got the keys recently, the landlord was showing me around. There's a breaker box in the bedroom :mad0229: also a small panel which the landlord beleives to be an acess to water pipes etc... but it's very small. I think it's prob only used in emergencies. I'm def gonna ask around, that's awesome advice. The way i look at it is... it's not like they can just knock on my door and come in, they have to setup an appointment, or give me notice. WORSE CASE SCENARIO, Again, providing i have enough notice to do so... I bring the tent down... chop down all plants and evidence and vaccum seal them, dispose of properly (obviously far from the building)
And bring my mother to hide out a friends place... i just made that plan up right now... but im just trying to be optimistic. This is my chance, i have to do this. I can't wait any longer. The urge to grow has haunted me my whole life... now that I FINALLY have a little space of my own.... i just can't not do it. It'd be like having Megan Fox and chick from big bang theory, in your bed, down to their panties... drunk, and asking you to fuck them... how could you resist!!

I def hear you though... ;( how the fuck would i bring my mother plant down to underground parking and into my car ?? maybe if i kept her short and topp'd her... then i could put her in a large bucket or something God, There's another thing to research.. besides knowing that i have to keep her in veg, i really know dick all about keeping a mother... ok, ill stop rambling. Many thanks to you all. I need this.

~P :fighting0085:

1080p

you should be able to run 2 1000 watt lights per bedroom with out even getting a second glance with all your appliances hooked up and running reason being is computers suk up about that much energy and big screens do as well so its when you get commercial that you start raising flags

After reading my explanation about my specific scenario, you think i'll measure up to the previous tenants ?? you know what i mean... I hope they used alot of juice... so i don't look to bad in comparison. Some people have like a macbook and a iphone, and that's it as far as gadgets!! I think my laundry and being efficent with other things can offset it a bit (i.em there's a dishwasher in the place, i don't use those thins, i just handwash) ... Just wanted to be clear, i'm not that much of a n00b! :) i know 1k will not bring the red bull drinking, steroid jacked swat team kicking down my door looking for little harmless tropical plants LMAO. Idiots... ( the pigs, not you king):hi

B

Bobby Smith

This is a great point... also a bit of a buzz kill. I got the keys recently, the landlord was showing me around. There's a breaker box in the bedroom :mad0229: also a small panel which the landlord beleives to be an acess to water pipes etc... but it's very small. I think it's prob only used in emergencies. I'm def gonna ask around, that's awesome advice. The way i look at it is... it's not like they can just knock on my door and come in, they have to setup an appointment, or give me notice. WORSE CASE SCENARIO, Again, providing i have enough notice to do so... I bring the tent down... chop down all plants and evidence and vaccum seal them, dispose of properly (obviously far from the building)
And bring my mother to hide out a friends place... i just made that plan up right now... but im just trying to be optimistic. This is my chance, i have to do this. I can't wait any longer. The urge to grow has haunted me my whole life... now that I FINALLY have a little space of my own.... i just can't not do it. It'd be like having Megan Fox and chick from big bang theory, in your bed, down to their panties... drunk, and asking you to fuck them... how could you resist!!

I def hear you though... ;( how the fuck would i bring my mother plant down to underground parking and into my car ?? maybe if i kept her short and topp'd her... then i could put her in a large bucket or something God, There's another thing to research.. besides knowing that i have to keep her in veg, i really know dick all about keeping a mother... ok, ill stop rambling. Many thanks to you all. I need this.

~P :fighting0085:

I wouldn't grow in that spot, dude.

I know all the other people on this thread are gonna bash and say "ah, fuck the police, ain't nobody gonna stop you from growing", but it really sounds like that place is 100% the worst place ever to grow weed.

It was a bad idea when I thought you owned your own condo, in which case maintenance men still come by for inspections pretty regularly, but it's 100% Fuckedville that you're actually subletting (sp.?) - those owners can and will stop by unexpectedly to make sure that you're not fucking their shit up.

Add to that the breaker box and access to water lines and shit, and it's just a no-go.

And the nail in the coffin is what you don't understand - landlords have to give 24 hours notice (in most cases) EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES - if there's a busted pipe, the maintenance man isn't gonna wait 24 hours to go busting down your door and shutting off the water.

So your WORST CASE scenario isn't having to break your grow down quickly and move it; your worst case scenario is coming home to an open apartment door and police mulling about your living room.

Sorry bro, but it ain't happening - enjoy your music and smoking weed, and just wait until you're in a better place to actually grow it - better safe than sorry.

Real talk.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

What Bobby said about the inspections is spot on. Before you sign your lease find out how many times they require inspections a year. If you can get them to put it under a certain time frame that is even better. You can tell them you are going out of town for college and do not want anyone showing up without you there. What I mean is most places give you a 24 hour notice of entry. If you are in "College" you would not get the notice. You can tell them you were robbed at your last place when you were in school and are just worried so you want to know before hand.
If you are legal than you should have nothing to worry about. Here in Oregon I am legal. As long as I do not mess with any of the electrical or cut holes in walls and stuff like that then there is nothing to worry about. But it is best nobody knows.
If you are doing a small grow for yourself like the pictures show then I would get a grow tent. You can break down a 4x4 tent in 20 minutes. 2 hours tops to get it all out the house. if you build a wooden box, make sure it fits thru the doors and can make it around the corners to get it out of the condo. That is why I say use a grow tent.

K

Kennie_B

fuck, i wish i could build a wood lodge in the middle of no where and do my thing!! damn.. leave me the fuck' be and let me grow my plants already!!
I would just get used to it!!!

Top Bottom