Growing in a modern condo ??

• Thread starter 1080p
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

1080p

I wouldn't grow in that spot, dude.

I know all the other people on this thread are gonna bash and say "ah, fuck the police, ain't nobody gonna stop you from growing", but it really sounds like that place is 100% the worst place ever to grow weed.

It was a bad idea when I thought you owned your own condo, in which case maintenance men still come by for inspections pretty regularly, but it's 100% Fuckedville that you're actually subletting (sp.?) - those owners can and will stop by unexpectedly to make sure that you're not fucking their shit up.

Add to that the breaker box and access to water lines and shit, and it's just a no-go.

And the nail in the coffin is what you don't understand - landlords have to give 24 hours notice (in most cases) EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES - if there's a busted pipe, the maintenance man isn't gonna wait 24 hours to go busting down your door and shutting off the water.

So your WORST CASE scenario isn't having to break your grow down quickly and move it; your worst case scenario is coming home to an open apartment door and police mulling about your living room.

Sorry bro, but it ain't happening - enjoy your music and smoking weed, and just wait until you're in a better place to actually grow it - better safe than sorry.

Real talk.

I'm gonna really take this into consideration. Not trying to be naive or anything, but where i live. Housing contracts are regulated by the government. Meaning... by me subleasing, they've signed over possession to me for the term. The condo is now registered in my name. Besides, the building is super secure, there's 3 points of contact with security before gettting into the building, and even if they did get into the building somehow, the elevators only will take them to the main floor (security has to allow the elevator to go any where else without a f.o.b key) ... it's almost locked down lol. They have no chance of getting to me. Also, as for the breaker box in my bed room etc... These are condo's... not a rental buildings, there properties that have been purchased outright. There's a super small percentile of people that are renting like me. Most are owners.... After finding out about things like the heating/air flow system in the condo, it's almost as these condo's where designed to be self contained... i.e nothing is connected to anyone else, if i trip a breaker... i reset it myself... etc. So the breaker almost works in my favour. It's not a breaker for the whole floor or anything. About emergencies... i think this comes down to probability. It's a highrise with Hundreds of apts. The chance of them needing acess to my space for a pipe bust or something is very small... the possibility still exists though. Everything you said is very valid, but i think it sounds a tad worse than it really is. I will talk to other people in the building and find out about inspections. Keep everyone posted... now to move.

C

cheech

damn bro when you said condo i thought you meant condo not apartment. i hated growing in an apartment because the manager sent his maintenance people out to do bull shit inspections 4x a year at least... always some dumb ass reason like they need to check the hvac filter or that someone in another apartment said they saw bugs so they need everyone to empty their cupboards so they can spray.

man i'm becoming depressed just thinking about apartments. rent a house or a condo with the money you saved up after this year in the apartment.

B

Bobby Smith

damn bro when you said condo i thought you meant condo not apartment. i hated growing in an apartment because the manager sent his maintenance people out to do bull shit inspections 4x a year at least... always some dumb ass reason like they need to check the hvac filter or that someone in another apartment said they saw bugs so they need everyone to empty their cupboards so they can spray.

man i'm becoming depressed just thinking about apartments. rent a house or a condo with the money you saved up after this year in the apartment.

Seriously dude, listen to some advice from me and Cheech.

If growing is THAT big a priority to you, then you need to find a space more hospitable to it.

Anyways, I'm done browbeating you - good luck in whatever you decide to do.

P

peter tosh

holla at me from prison! haha youre crazy bro! you might be able to get away with it, but youre gambling with your life! i wouldnt grow in that spot if my life depended on it! i know the feeling of wanting to get going, but i also know what its like to be locked up. yo wanting to grow and not being able to sucks, but going to jail sucks even more! anyway, good luck, since it seems youre determined to do this!

C

cheech

not all apartments are like the one i was in though. i was in another one where the maintenance women only came by twice a year and never into my bedroom. you could be fine with your small setup. just ask other people in the building. and if you can put a lock on the bedroom door and the closet i think you will be ok. hopefully you are in a med state and have a card. i was just voicing my shitty experience in my apartment. i still harvested about 6 lbs with my two 600's in that apartment that year and learned a lot. at one point i had to tell the maintenance people to fuck off and go away and that i had a gun. they called the police but i wouldn't let them in either and just kept pressure on the deadbolt part of the lock not letting the maintenance people turn it. after an hour they finally went away, i harvested a week later and got the fuck out of there not wanting to deal with that shit anymore. glad i'm in a house now!

B

Bobby Smith

I first started growing a decade ago in an apartment, and looking back it's fucking amazing I'm not sitting in prison right now.

What a fucking idiot I was - no scrubbers, no regard for consequences, just balls to the wall stupid ass 20 year old.

God bless youth, but boy does it make you do some dumbass things.

1080p

you guys are raising some very good points....thank you, really. the more i think about it, the more i think this is a bad decision. At the same time... there's a little voice in my head saying "yea but, it's just a small tent... you can bring down a pound or 2 every few months"... fuck, my head hurts. When i was in my early years of highschool... i got busted with a few o's... the cops showed my parents the huge donkey dicks i had lol. Then... a few years later... i built a grow box and was growing in my room in my parents house... my dad caught me, he didn't kick me out... he was cool about it, but still amazed.... Their kind enough to help me get this place... i would feel like a complete fucking jerk off if i got kicked out or something happened because of a few plants. Again though... part of me wants to get the most out of life right now...if i could balance growing safely amongst other things i really really would like to do, it would be rad. I'm not about making money on a cash crop, there's something in my fucking soul that's yearning to grow, again sorry if that sounds gay!! LMAO. Right now im leaning towards calling everything off... at this point i have a t5h0 and my beans. So im not in to deep. FYI Canada is a med country considering our gov grants licenses and sells herbs, but i by no means am a legal med user... yet. Fuck... If i decide to call this off, im gonna treat my self to new glass or a vape or something LOL... thanks again duders.

~P

B

Bobby Smith

I took the decade of my 20s (from 21 until 29 last year when I picked back up) off from growing pot, mainly because I had some sort of moment of enlightenment when I walked in my apartment building and instantly smelled my grow.

I enjoyed life, smoked tons, and did tons of awesome things that I'll be able to look back upon for the rest of my life.

I also had a few apartments and houses that I rented by myself, but with a landlord able to barge in at any time, I just didn't feel comfortable growing an illegal plant on the premises.

Now I'm at a spot that my girlfriend owns and I'm fucking going berserkers building out the pimpest of pimp grow spots that I can dream of, including some $2K PVC vertical octagon contraption that I'm about to start building.

Long story short, there's plenty of time for you to grow - you're a kid.

Don't do something stupid now that you're gonna regret for the rest of your life.

And trust me - as a 30 year old with more money than I really know what to do with, building out your own worry-free weed laboratory is tons of fucking fun.

Enjoy your 20s stress-free..............plus dude, you live in fucking Canada? Weed's free there anyways, and you're not going to be able to get more than $2/lb for your first 10 grows because of the supply issue.

Just my $.02; I swear I'm done preaching to you at this point.

Promise; anyways, best of luck to you whatever you decide.

J

JAHGYDI

i wouldnt listen to these guys go with your guts. there are alot of us that grow in apartments.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I just harvested in my Apt......with NO SCRUBBERS! I found a place with 220 and built a room inside my bedroom. Here's a link 2kw Scrog Blackberry Kush in Roots Coco

I may wind up doing a bigger run after they inspect the fire alarm in October. Feel free to message me if you have any questions bro!:boogie:

1080p

I took the decade of my 20s (from 21 until 29 last year when I picked back up) off from growing pot, mainly because I had some sort of moment of enlightenment when I walked in my apartment building and instantly smelled my grow.

I enjoyed life, smoked tons, and did tons of awesome things that I'll be able to look back upon for the rest of my life.

I also had a few apartments and houses that I rented by myself, but with a landlord able to barge in at any time, I just didn't feel comfortable growing an illegal plant on the premises.

Now I'm at a spot that my girlfriend owns and I'm fucking going berserkers building out the pimpest of pimp grow spots that I can dream of, including some $2K PVC vertical octagon contraption that I'm about to start building.

Long story short, there's plenty of time for you to grow - you're a kid.

Don't do something stupid now that you're gonna regret for the rest of your life.

And trust me - as a 30 year old with more money than I really know what to do with, building out your own worry-free weed laboratory is tons of fucking fun.

Enjoy your 20s stress-free..............plus dude, you live in fucking Canada? Weed's free there anyways, and you're not going to be able to get more than $2/lb for your first 10 grows because of the supply issue.

Just my $.02; I swear I'm done preaching to you at this point.

Promise; anyways, best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Don't mind the preaching at all Bobby, your sharing some real shit with me. I appreciate that. I'm in my mid 20's... ive done alot of awesome shit so far, traveling... smoking tons, creating alot. I still haven't experienced growing!!

Also, what do you mean by supply issue ?? Everything grown around here makes it to the states, very little primo AAA get's circulated locally... there's alot of kush and shit... but it's usually stuff that's not flushed properly..lower buds.. etc, anyway. For some real killer dank, i could get 3.5k to 4k for a peanut.

This is Canada... not the U.S...(i lived in America for a while), but if i got caught with 1 1k light and 10-15 plants, the worst of it would be me getting evicted or kicked out. The police won't do shit but confiscate my gear and give me a slap on the wrist... (posession charge). It will be looked at as a personal grow.

In Canada there's dudes who get huge commercial spaces and try and steal tons of juice by tapping lines etc... the viet gangs used to get full houses going, all three floors and fucking smuggle human slaves into canada to run the op's!! Just wanted to make clear that prison isn't in this equation.

B

Bobby_604

4400 watts
CO2 Burner
65 Pint Dehuey
2 fan Heat Exchanger
Fans

No knocks at door even though I have a med card.

O

Old HAGgler

yo dude,

you cant relate your parents to THE POLICE.

apartments here in america get inspected EVERY 10 WEEKS.

get air filters changed, its mandatory every 3 months they check the electrical, USING THE BOX.

if your grow is anywhere near that thing tear down and run away with your tail in between your legs. no joke dont be stupid over a pound every 2 months. you can get a job that pays that much if you go anywhere other than mcdonalds.

the no dog thing really fucks you too, thats my bread and butter.

when they come they ask to LOCK my dog in my bathroom, and funny cause my walk in closet is THROUGH that bathroom, they cant even get to it.

you need to find a situation that you see and your thinking of positive things, not hiding and getting busted things.

if your that desparate, get a medical card, or move here to the states and get one.

P

peter tosh

i would say if you really wanna grow, stick with the flourescents only and like 4 small plants max. just do the run straight through so you only need one small space and not a seperate veg space. just switch from the bulbs 6500k to 2700k when you go into flower. they also make vho t5 now which is 7500 lumens vs ho is 5000 lumens. and feliz makes 125, 200, 250w cfl bulbs that are self ballested you just need a mogul socket and a cord with the regular 120v plug. im actually planning on using about 8-10 of them myself for some vertical lighting that wont heat the room up too much. the 125w cfl has around 9000 lumens and you can get it right next to the plant without burning it. i dont know about the 200 or 250w as far as lumens, i was actually going off the specs from a different brand 125w that ive got. anyway, with the flouros you will use way less power and make way less heat which means less of a need for super high powered fans. the fans are what makes the most noise and vibration through the wall or ceiling or whatever. i imagine something like a 2 ft x 2 ft little box or maybe 4 x 2, 4 x 4 seems too big. two tiny blower fans maybe for intake and exhaust with a carbon filter hooked up to the exhaust. getting co2 will probably be impossibe im guessing. they do make the co2 boost bucket, but i have no idea if it really works. just keep it small and you should be good. as a beginner, going small is probably best anyways. and lastly, i would check out autoflowers, if you havent already. they would be perfect for a little grow like that and you can harvest your own herb in 2 months after planting seed. check out short stuff they got the bomb and check out the onyx another member on here grew. he harvested 2 oz off one auto plant, not too shabby. one last idea is maybe take power from the light in the closet instead of running obviously incriminating extension cords in there. i would assume you have a 20 amp fuse since the place is new, just keep all your total amps under that number.
here is a pic of the cfl and reflector combo i have over my autoflower right now and its flowering nicely!

Cfl reflector

420king-MASSES

After reading my explanation about my specific scenario, you think i'll measure up to the previous tenants ?? you know what i mean... I hope they used alot of juice... so i don't look to bad in comparison. Some people have like a macbook and a iphone, and that's it as far as gadgets!! I think my laundry and being efficent with other things can offset it a bit (i.em there's a dishwasher in the place, i don't use those thins, i just handwash) ... Just wanted to be clear, i'm not that much of a n00b! :) i know 1k will not bring the red bull drinking, steroid jacked swat team kicking down my door looking for little harmless tropical plants LMAO. Idiots... ( the pigs, not you king):hi

yes it will work with all your appliances plugged in you can run even more if you dont plug in tvs freezers microwaves fridge oven its all good bra no need to worry about hiding power in this day of age

U

UrbanGorilla

hey there and welcome to the grow scene. We all start somewhere and for most of us indoor growers ity's our first apartment/condo. My first grow was plagued with money problems as for most new growers. However and i dont say this lightly as it has been my experiance smell and heat controle are your two biggest problems with urban growing. My first grow was a closet lined with mylar a couple of 250 watt street lights (no joke) after learning the hard way that the central ac unit venting into the closet and the exhuast out into the bed room that now i was dealing with a smell problem. it's almost impossible i vent outside in these living conditions. Then i discovered the growlab tents. After moving to another condo i decided to do a whole room so i purchesed a 10 x 10 grow lab tent a780 cfm fan and a can 50 carbon scrubber. these tents fans and cans come in all different sizes to suit your grow area limitations. useing 4 600 watt hps lamps i was pulling the air in the tent first through the scrubber then through all my lights and finaly venting out the windo after boxing it in and useing sound deading foam the exhausted air smelled as fresh as dasies. these tent set ups are very clean and very ifficiant leaving the room just as you found it when your ready to move once again. it was like you were never there.

F

FARM THIS

hey there and welcome to the grow scene. We all start somewhere and for most of us indoor growers ity's our first apartment/condo. My first grow was plagued with money problems as for most new growers. However and i dont say this lightly as it has been my experiance smell and heat controle are your two biggest problems with urban growing. My first grow was a closet lined with mylar a couple of 250 watt street lights (no joke) after learning the hard way that the central ac unit venting into the closet and the exhuast out into the bed room that now i was dealing with a smell problem. it's almost impossible i vent outside in these living conditions. Then i discovered the growlab tents. After moving to another condo i decided to do a whole room so i purchesed a 10 x 10 grow lab tent a780 cfm fan and a can 50 carbon scrubber. these tents fans and cans come in all different sizes to suit your grow area limitations. useing 4 600 watt hps lamps i was pulling the air in the tent first through the scrubber then through all my lights and finaly venting out the windo after boxing it in and useing sound deading foam the exhausted air smelled as fresh as dasies. these tent set ups are very clean and very ifficiant leaving the room just as you found it when your ready to move once again. it was like you were never there.

word..... great info

F

FARM THIS

i would say if you really wanna grow, stick with the flourescents only and like 4 small plants max. just do the run straight through so you only need one small space and not a seperate veg space. just switch from the bulbs 6500k to 2700k when you go into flower. they also make vho t5 now which is 7500 lumens vs ho is 5000 lumens. and feliz makes 125, 200, 250w cfl bulbs that are self ballested you just need a mogul socket and a cord with the regular 120v plug. im actually planning on using about 8-10 of them myself for some vertical lighting that wont heat the room up too much. the 125w cfl has around 9000 lumens and you can get it right next to the plant without burning it. i dont know about the 200 or 250w as far as lumens, i was actually going off the specs from a different brand 125w that ive got. anyway, with the flouros you will use way less power and make way less heat which means less of a need for super high powered fans. the fans are what makes the most noise and vibration through the wall or ceiling or whatever. i imagine something like a 2 ft x 2 ft little box or maybe 4 x 2, 4 x 4 seems too big. two tiny blower fans maybe for intake and exhaust with a carbon filter hooked up to the exhaust. getting co2 will probably be impossibe im guessing. they do make the co2 boost bucket, but i have no idea if it really works. just keep it small and you should be good. as a beginner, going small is probably best anyways. and lastly, i would check out autoflowers, if you havent already. they would be perfect for a little grow like that and you can harvest your own herb in 2 months after planting seed. check out short stuff they got the bomb and check out the onyx another member on here grew. he harvested 2 oz off one auto plant, not too shabby. one last idea is maybe take power from the light in the closet instead of running obviously incriminating extension cords in there. i would assume you have a 20 amp fuse since the place is new, just keep all your total amps under that number.
here is a pic of the cfl and reflector combo i have over my autoflower right now and its flowering nicely!

not enough lumens = fluffy airy buds

C

CanadianClassic

Learn to be a power smart mother fucker lol thats what i had to do been running a 10-12 room with vortex fans and everything in a old house im top floor and got people below me! You just gotta be extra careful and power smart!

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

yeah bro go with hps all the way
you guys would be surprised how many people actually do grow in an apt
Im talkin homie is in a hollywood blvd apt lmfao!
it just takes the right setup, equipment and knowledge
If I were you I would just get a grow box and put it in a tent with a couple small scrubbers in it with ona on the outside n just run one light to start out with running at night so chances are they wont look at the meter spining
Thats not enough energy being consumed to raise suspicion if YOU watch your own consumption as well. the only high peak of energy is from the initial start-up that your ballast takes which is around a little less than 10amps respectively if you on a 120 but after its started up the actual draw from it is reduced to like 5 or 6 amps. Think about it.But whatever you need to do make sure you do it right dont have a budget on things that will eventually in the long run save your ass. Rule #1

Keep It Green-Doc

Top Bottom