Growing In Ak And Living Off The Land

• Thread starter Mmorrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mmorrow

My wife and I own a brewery that we are in the process of selling. We want to move to Alaska to live off the land and grow pot on the side for supplemental income. We don't want to make a ton of money just enough to get by living the lifestyle we are wanting to live. We have extensive knowledge of growing and some good jeans (from some breeders on this forum)... First off, is there anyone out there doing this?

This next part may seem a bit odd at first but I am going to go for it. We were looking for a partner of sorts to also live on the land (separate dwelling) and do daily duties as a partner. We would like to set it up as a business of sorts to pool the limited resources that we would have. This kind of life style would benefit with having another family living there trying to accomplish the same thing. Our goal is to be up there and operational within two years.

Aside from growing we will also have some livestock that we can use to make a little more income from honey, cheese, and other sorts of things.

If anyone is out there doing this sort of thing please let me know I want to know numbers as I am business owner and numbers are important it means your either swimming or sinking. Any advice would be much appreciated.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

It takes a "different breed" to live in Alaska. My family hails from there, I've lived there for about 7 months on the Kenai Peninsula (Homer, AK to be specific), and I have an old HS buddy living out there now that earns his living fishing.

In the summer, the growing season is great. The long days have produced the likes of "Matanuska Thunderfuck" and such. But then you have to contend with the long nights of winter. Many people can't deal with it. Just something to consider. I love Alaska, but even I wouldn't want to live there permanently. Just a few things to consider my friend. Best of luck to ya though. :)

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

I was stationed at Ft Wainwright, AK which is just outside Fairbanks when I was in the army. I loved Alaska and would love to go to a state where they don't send people to prison for weed like they do in my third world state. Alaska is a huge and diverse state what part are you looking at moving to?

M

Mmorrow

Fairbanks area but we are open to anywhere where we can be a little secluded while still in reach of a decent town. The long nights and long days won't phase us, we are fairly acclimated to it already. My lights are currently off because of the nature of the business I own and we are itching to turn them back on!

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

I liked Fairbanks it is a nice place. Anchorage is prettier and a larger city but its not as hot in the summer nor as cold in the winter. If I was going back I would be torn between the two cities. I like the idea of being out of the city but things like water, sewage disposal and electricity become a problem. Living off the grid is a major step and you can pretty much rule out indoor growing due to the amount of power needed just to run your lights. Having said all this it's been 30 years since I was up there and I am sure it has changed some since then.

If you want to do any farming there then consider the Matanuska Valley its the bread basket of Alaska.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

Chickenman I remember that song, we are showing our age my friend.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

Mmorrow, I hope this works out for you my friend Alaska is a beautiful state and weed friendly.

Top Bottom