growing in house with utilities included

• Thread starter Camdawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Camdawg

Camdawg

Im going to be moving into a house with all utilities paid. Master plan is to run 4 600w on flip flops in flower so 2 on at one time. With a 8 bulb t5, runs around 400w, for veg and a 4 bulb t5 for clones. Along with fans I'm thinking ill be running around 2500w 24/7 along with normal house electric ie computer washer tv etc. I'm 215 medical but don't need the landlord knowing of course. Is this gonna be to much power for one room without rewiring and is my bill gonna be a red flag for the landlord?

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
How many bedrooms is the house and what size breaker is the one room on?

Camdawg

Camdawg

2 bed 1 bath not sure on breaker will hopefully get the papers signed tomorrow and start moving around the 1st. It's a bedroom I plan to grow in if that helps

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
oh yeah that's a major flag unless all the tenants that have occupied the residence were growing that much....Your bill is going to be more than triple all his other tenants previously I'll bet....he's gonna ask why your bill is astronomical..

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
2 bed 1 bath not sure on breaker will hopefully get the papers signed tomorrow and start moving around the 1st. It's a bedroom I plan to grow in if that helps
It's probably 20 amps at the most but more than likely 15 amps. You need to look at the tags of everything our gonna use and add up all the amps. If your number of amps is under the size of the breaker your golden. Good luck

Not to mention your landlord will probably trip on the high bill. I'd say I have a shitload of reef tanks if he asks. You might want to mention it first.

Camdawg

Camdawg

I'm almost positive one of his other tenants grows just not sure how much. I've known guy's with 4 or 5 computers in one room most have 400w- 600w power supplies not sure if they pull the same power though. My go to excuse for high power would be a gaming room with air hockey table and multiple gaming consoles for lan parties etc.

Camdawg

Camdawg

It's probably 20 amps at the most but more than likely 15 amps. You need to look at the tags of everything our gonna use and add up all the amps. If your number of amps is under the size of the breaker your golden. Good luck

Not to mention your landlord will probably trip on the high bill. I'd say I have a shitload of reef tanks if he asks. You might want to mention it first.

I avoid using aquariums as my excuse. I can call enough close friends for computers and xboxs not aquariums though and I'd be more worried about trying to explain there absence during a dreaded walk through

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I avoid using aquariums as my excuse. I can call enough close friends for computers and xboxs not aquariums though and I'd be more worried about trying to explain there absence during a dreaded walk through

I gotta be honest I think your setting yourself up for failure. Your landlord will not be happy paying your bill regardless of the reason. He wouldn't want to pay it even if it was for life support.

Bannacis

Bannacis

You might want to start smaller and work your way up... your landlord wont like footing a larger electric bill unless he is compensated for it... might have to grease his palms. maybe go LED, that would save on electric in lights and cooling.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Understood Danimal. My guess is that the meters aren't per unit otherwise I'd be paying the bill. This was the case for one of my spots a few years ago. I'll of course look into this as I move in.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Even if the meter combines all the renters, your landlord will know the diff started after you moved in, be careful.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Even if the meter combines all the renters, your landlord will know the diff started after you moved in, be careful.
Good point I kinda feel like an idiot for not even thinking about that.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Anyone with a similar situation please shout out. I know someone on here is growing on the landlord e bill how much power would be acceptable?

reloader

reloader

I run 4 600's on 12/12 & 2 400's (veg) & my power bill (plus 3000 sq ft household, with 6k watt sauna that I use every night) is about $360 TO $400 per month. Before I was growing, the bill was about $90 to 100 per month. Na, he will never notice lol.
It just doesn't sound like a good situation to me.
Also a 20 amp breaker isn't enough for 4 600's @ roughly 5.6 amps apiece + fans. Electricians recommend a 80% rule of full amperage use. For me with that much power, I hired an electrician/friend to give me a 220 outlet with a 60 amp breaker. I use a 220v powerbox with 6 timed 10 amp 120v outlets, with a built in digital timer & and 2 outlets of switchable power.

I would say run only 2 lights, you can run 2 600's off a normal bedroom 20 amp breaker with no prob, & will only shoot up your bill $50 or so a month.

organicozarks

organicozarks

He will notice because you are sucking up his profit.

This would not be advised at all.

I have only grown in one rental house, and I would never do it again. I almost got caught up in some bullshit because of a "mandatory" insurance termite inspection.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

I'm in the same situation. But I know my landlord personally, I do all my repaire and even other tenants repairs but its unknown that I grow. I only run 2 150w and 110w in veg, I plan on going up to 600w and 200w in veg once it cools down. Even if the LL finds out she ain't gonna find a better tenant than me so my situation doesn't compares to yours in size and relations

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I run 4 600's on 12/12 & 2 400's (veg) & my power bill (plus 3000 sq ft household, with 6k watt sauna that I use every night) is about $360 TO $400 per month. Before I was growing, the bill was about $90 to 100 per month. Na, he will never notice lol.
It just doesn't sound like a good situation to me.
Also a 20 amp breaker isn't enough for 4 600's @ roughly 5.6 amps apiece + fans. Electricians recommend a 80% rule of full amperage use. For me with that much power, I hired an electrician/friend to give me a 220 outlet with a 60 amp breaker. I use a 220v powerbox with 6 timed 10 amp 120v outlets, with a built in digital timer & and 2 outlets of switchable power.

I would say run only 2 lights, you can run 2 600's off a normal bedroom 20 amp breaker with no prob, & will only shoot up your bill $50 or so a month.
I'd double or triple that $50 a month for a couple lights...I'm guessing your not in cali with that dirt cheap power....

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

.20 pkw max where I'm at, a six would burn $47 on 12/12 a month not including veg and fans. My grow probably be around $80+\- w/ 1 600 and 200 in veg. With fans.

reloader

reloader

I'd double or triple that $50 a month for a couple lights...I'm guessing your not in cali with that dirt cheap power....
Yea your probably right, I don't know what I was thinking, 2 600's would run close to $100 per month, and the landlord will want to know what the hell your doing in there. (no I'm not in Ca, but I have been there once)

Top Bottom