Growing in metal workshop

• Thread starter derp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

derp

Hi all,

I am a experienced grower looking to upgrade my medical cannabis grow op to a place away from home given some complications. So now I am pondering of growing in a automotive workshop or metal workshop for rent. Basically a place that already consumes lots of power given to "heavy machinery". I am only looking for answers from people who have some insight on the idea or who have succesfully carried it out/or not. Any input would help lots!

Cheers!

H

Hugo

What did u need to know???
.off top of my head .....

Is it well insulated, secure, and does it have proper hydro service?

How man lights u looking to burn?

deacon1503

deacon1503

Im with Hugo....sounds like a great idea but to give some proper input we'll need some of the particulars. How many plants? Soil, coco or hydro? Whats the space dimensions? High budget or low budget? Etc.

fractal

fractal

It would be a good idea to make sure the property owner knows what you will be doing there. There are plenty of workspaces on the market that you can take time screening the landlords until you find one who just wants your money. Also i would want to find out about the neighboring businesses. You don't want to be growing next to a chop shop or other shady characters who might be liable to rip you off, like a gang or mob-owned company. Ideal neighbors would be a family business or place where it looks like the employees aren't druggies, so they wouldn't figure it out if they heard fans going or draining water things like that.

D

derp

Sorry for the late reply guys. Been busy with work. Hope your still hanging in there!

This is going to be a small op on a low budget in soil. So the plants will be watered (just water) 2-3 times a day. looking at getting some T5's for supplemental lighting. Gonna take 2 1000watts get splitters so ill have 4 600watts. 30 plants. no water but not a big deal since its not hydro. its on its own meter (the one im interested in) and yes it is next to a questionable neighborhood but it is also very private. Hanging fire extinguishers will be mounted everywhere there is a potential fire hazard (I will be there maybe only once a week). thats about it. let me know if there is anything else you guys need to know.

parsnip

parsnip

Sounds like a sweet idea, as long as its secure. Are their neighbours close by (close enough to smell the plants)?

ttystikk

ttystikk

yeah, it sounds like the place you're describing is one bay in a building full of shops. That means you'd be sharing the very building you're growing in, it would be tough to hide that smell. And the noise. And tryin' not to look like a hppie grower coming to water their op when you do show up once a week. I'd be scared off, but that's just me.

D

derp

yeah, it sounds like the place you're describing is one bay in a building full of shops. That means you'd be sharing the very building you're growing in, it would be tough to hide that smell. And the noise. And tryin' not to look like a hppie grower coming to water their op when you do show up once a week. I'd be scared off, but that's just me.
No doubt hiding the smell is the biggest concern. I'm planning on getting large carbon filters (1-2) have them sit upright and a fan with around 600cfm connected at the top to scrub the smell. Noise is the other issue. I could attach a silencer to the other end of the fans (not sure how much that decreases the cfm). My good friend of mine is also going to use the shop to work on his car and other things (I have a lot more space than I need) so it should look legit to anyone else. The place I got in mind has got 11' ceiling so im not too worried about heat being a problem with my 4 600w and t5's. Anybody else see something wrong with this set up that I dont?

ttystikk

ttystikk

As long as there is nothing that looks out of place when the guys next door decide to talk shop with your buddy while he's under his car, you should be okay. I thought you were gonna blow the whole place out, but a few 600s and such isn't a major op. Definitely want to get and keep your heat and humidity under control, I think running a sealed room from jump is the only way you can realistically control the smells- and it will help with noise as well to have all the pumps and things inside another room. Buy bigger fans than you need for the carbon filtration job, then run them at half or 2/3 speed. This will let them run nice n quiet.

Bannacis

Bannacis

only problem i see is the water. yes its not hydro, but 30 plants will need plenty of fresh clean water.

make sure it can be secure...other than that grow forest grow

bobby

bobby

Do you have any specific questions derp? There are so many things that have to be thought through before growing in a commercial place like that.

You say you're experienced, so in your experience, what questions should you be asking to make sure it's a successful project?

Should the grow room be completely sealed? Yes. Is your place completely, completely sealed and air tight? If the answer is no, then you have to start there dude.

Top Bottom