Growing in the South

• Thread starter RansacktheElder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RansacktheElder

Hello to all! After just getting frustrated by the supply situation I've decided to build myself a little grow box. I raised outdoors when a teenager on a farm and had decent results. Here is my set up:

growing area inside is 3'x3'x4'tall and lined with reflective material.
I have one 70w HPS (I know, I know)
I have one t5 sunblaster (2')
I have two t8 Vitalume high output fluoro's (2')

The HPS is above the area and the fluoro's are arrainged around the other three sides of plants.

I am using a computer fan to exhaust the air from the top of the box as well as an oscillating fan inside to cool things down.
Growing in potting soil and have bagseed going now.

So, do you think I have a decent shot to raise something here? I calculated my wattage per ftsq at
34 watts.:smoke

F

Finalopagus

Seems like it will work...
Take it slow and don't overfeed.

T

tngreen

i would try to add some cfls to raise the wpsf up to atleast 50, 34 is a bit low especially with fluoros. remember to keep the fluoros pretty close to the plants and like Finalopagus said, dont overfeed! thats usually the only mistake i make.

R

RansacktheElder

I upgraded to a 150 hps and I'm planning on using the 70 along with it under the same large sunleaves reflector. Thanks for the advice!

S

Swampdank

Dude, go with at least 400 hps. After your first harvest, you will most likely enjoy the herb so much, the supply will go thin quickly.

Just being practical. Not trying to tell you your setup wont work. I just know it takes about 500 of my watts to support my pot binges. LOL!

If you are not a heavy smoker, you will be fine.

A

astartes

Lol, swampdank we're coming from opposite ends of the spectrum. I agree that more light is always more better. I grow under 1K myself, but in all honesty I only smoke 1-1.5 ounces a harvest. Yeah Ransack, of you're not a heavy smoker, you're more than covered.

Just beware that once you start growing it hard-wires the brain. You'll always wanna upgrade! Not like there's anything wrong with that though:)

astartes

O

Otto

While 400 would be great, id say stick with your little lights and have some fun with em', your box prolly wont fit a 400 without some better ventilation anyhow. Ive seen people with a QP off a couple 150's, and that kat Mt.John with his scrog 150 or is it 250 either way bountiful yeilds. Is there a particular reason as to making your own seeds, the task of breeding can get quite cumbersome, as well as not too rewarding for a novice grower, adding that 70 along side your 150 would benefit ya much better in the long run. However if your wanting to learn or dick around with it then by all means let the pollen chunkin' commence, just dont get discouraged. Much luck.

-Otto

A

astartes

Oh yeah, the 150 will more than cover you. I made a 2'x2'x2.5' tall box and hung a 150 vertically in there for kicks this past summer. I ran 4 plants in 2.5 gal coco pots and pulled 5 ounces from them. As you're finding out Ransack, the key to low wattage growing is training and controlling your plants.

astartes

O

Otto

Oh yeah, the 150 will more than cover you. I made a 2'x2'x2.5' tall box and hung a 150 vertically in there for kicks this past summer. I ran 4 plants in 2.5 gal coco pots and pulled 5 ounces from them. As you're finding out Ransack, the key to low wattage growing is training and controlling your plants.

astartes

word

R

RansacktheElder

Astartes I totally get where you're coming from. Growing seams to bear a strong resemblance to playing music. You can spend as much money as you want to spend as you go. I'll be upgrading soon I'm sure. I'[m already getting the stuff together to build a mother/veg cabinet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom