Growing Medium

• Thread starter spyderaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Enforcer

Enforcer

Straight terra or terra/coco mix?
That’s kind of a loaded question. Everyone has thier preference on which is “best” based on thier style of growing. I suggest researching the pros/cons of growing in soil, coco, rockwool, hydroton, or just air. Then deciding for yourself which medium is right for you.

Personally, I have grown in soil and coco. So far I like the coco better. But that’s me. Good luck.

P

Pimples

All the substrates work really well. All have pros and cons. Research what you think fits your style and level of green thumb - edness and roll with it. Stick to it until you mastered it. Then try something else. Repeat.

GreenZion

GreenZion

Each grower finds its own preference... It's almost impossile to tell you what'd be best. I prefer coco by far for many reasons but this is just me.

P

Pimples

Ditto. Coco in grow bags or cloth pots or I also like rockwool blocks and slabs. Either or on a top fed drip/watering manifold using tank reservoirs with a pump and timer. Spent solution runs out the bottom and is not recaptured and reused but goes to a sump well and pumped into an outside garden bed. Most forgivable and reliable out of all the methods for me. NFT or Aero or True water culture DWC systems kick ass...as does a hydroton/ebb and flow type system. Super fast vegetative growth rates. But much less lee way with fuck ups. And if something breaks..pump malfunction..timer..or reservoir temps..not good.

S

Strat1left

I just bought this stuff called 420Mixasoil, was wondering if anyone has heard of this medium. I live in an apartment and cant make my own so I thought I would try this. So far so good all I need to do is water.

P

PassTheJ

I use 60% Foxfarm Ocean, 30% peat moss, 10% mix of perlite and Vermiculite. I make this mix for my whole garden. 50 varieties of flowers, plants, vegs and fruits. They all love it. Great medium.

Mother nature intended pot to grow in dirt. My job is to find or make the best dirt then. Not question mother nature.

Alot of the new industry soil being sold for marijuana cultivation nowadays is using peat moss, perlite and Vermiculite mixed with regular soil anyways.

P

Pimples

Mother nature also didn't intend for cannabis to be grown indoors under lights and artificial....everything. I've noticed when I usurp what mother nature intended but still pay attention and adhere to her basic "rules"...i get more...better...faster. Don't get me wrong..heavily amended peat based mixes grow some straight up fire inside. But in my experience those mediums really shine outdoors. Coco coir and rockwool just blow up some plants in an indoor artificial setting. Besides..artificial lighting is by far the biggest cost in power indoors. Time is money and a more hydroponic substrate matches what I am trying to accomplish.

Last edited:
P

PassTheJ

Mother nature also didn't intend for cannabis to be grown indoors under lights and artificial....everything. I've noticed when I usurp what mother nature intended but still pay attention and adhere to her basic "rules"...i get more...better...faster. Don't get me wrong..heavily amended peat based mixes grow some straight up fire inside. But in my experience those mediums really shine outdoors. Coco coir and rockwool just blow up some plants in an indoor artificial setting. Besides..artificial lighting is by far the biggest cost in power indoors. Time is money and a more hydroponic substrate matches what I am trying to accomplish.
I don't disagree. I guess the hippy in me says earth wind fire.

S

Strat1left

Final thread on 420Mixasoil, After 8 weeks and its harvest time, I have my results. Could not be happier, not much up front cost, nothing but water and a little effort. Recommendable to anyone!! My buddy made his own soil which in the long run is Cheaper but his up front cost was about $800.00, I could not afford that. HAPPY GROWING!!!!!

100 0085
100 0084
100 0083
100 0082
Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

I'm not as experience as some of these guys. On that note I do make my own soil , but would like to venture into coco , and hydro one day . For now I stick with what I'm comfortable with . Happy growing man plants look good.

Top Bottom