Growing outdoord with Consistent Light of 12/12

• Thread starter Hiriqnu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hiriqnu

New to this forum..hello, but not new to growing. Looking for some advice from anyone who has grown outdoors in a tropical climate with little to no variation in sunlight hours. I live in a region where there is a steady 12 hours of daylight year round. There is a very slight change of about 15min in Dec.

My question is how do you trigger flowering in such conditions? Will the 15 min difference be enough to do this naturally? I'm planning on starting a grow now (Oct.) and don't want plants to start flowering in Dec. My plan is to provide artificial light during the growth phase and then remove these lights when I want to start flowering. I can do this for my plants on my balcony...but what about plants outside in my garden?

How do you trigger flowering when the light is consistently 12/12?

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
12/12 will kick of flowering

That’s exactly what you want for flowering 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness

Your plants won’t veg much with 12/12 lighting they will go straight into flower as soon as there are sexually mature.

Plants veg when there’s more hours of light than darkness

When we flower we switch to 12/12 witch you have

Oh and that 15 min change will make no difference

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Sounds like you will have to do the same thing with the garden plants! Give them enough light to stay in veg! Probably need close to 15 hours total to be sure. Then you can cut the lights and they will flower. I have heard it doesn’t take a lot of intensity to keep them in veg! No real experience with it though. The problem with outdoor supplemental lighting is, they will attract insects! And insects can bring problems with them. And you always have be careful not to get electrocuted! Lol! Looks like equatorial growing can be pretty complicated. Good luck! If you can, let us know how it works out!

Madbud

Madbud

Have not tried it but read several places if you interrupt the 12 hours of darkness with a half hour of led or flourescent light they stay in veg. Its the 12 hours of darkness that triggers flowering.

Derelict999

Derelict999

There is a chemical that will accumulate during darkness. If the dark period is long enough, the chemical reaches critical level and triggers flowering. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head

Top Bottom