Growing with seeds and clones

• Thread starter TonyScorpio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TonyScorpio

I'm wanting to prep for my 2nd grow. I'm wanint to know can I take my clones and a plant from seed and start them out on the same schedule? Or is there a longer veg time for the seed started plant before putting them under the same light and feeding schedule?
I have about 5 more weeks on my current group of ladies. I plan on taking some cuttings today. If I start some seeds, when at the desired size can I put them all on the same feeding and light schedule?

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I usually give seeds an extra 2 weeks of veg (assuming your cuts are rooted and established)... I have taken cuts and started seeds on the same day before and the seeds were a bit behind (I take big cuts tho) but it wasn't too much of a big deal...

You should be able to put them under the same lights and schedule right away also... I usually feed my cuts and seeds really close to the same thing (light nutes that gradually get bumped up)... Just keep in mind that the seeds won't be sexually mature and ready to flower for about 5-6 weeks and cuts can be flowered right after they root...

baaka_san

baaka_san

Once the nodes on the seedlings stop growing parallel to each other and begin to stagger you can then feed and throw them in with the others as normal. The seedlings need to first mature before they will even sex and during that time you want to keep them in optimal conditions ( high humidity, strong but not intense lighting.. preferably blue MH or florescent if possible).

Once you have about 12" in growth you should be good to go. MonsterRobot was on point with about 2 weeks to get your seeds germ'd and rooted in you cup/pots. After that you'd work them into your schedule as any other rooted cutting.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You got this thread in the 'hydroponics' sub-forum, so I assume you will have your clones in rockwool, but what exactly are you starting your seeds in?? If its rockwool then your gonna need to feed them alot sooner then you would if they were in soil. Is it rapid rooters?? Also, it depends on the type of hydro feeding schedule you have for your plants before you can put the seed plants on the same schedule because you don't wanna over-feed young plants. A rooted clone is gonna be older then a 1 week old seedling and you can't have them on the same feed if its gonna have too high an EC.

Basically, all the info that was given looks like it was based on starting the seeds off in soil, most of it is correct under that condition, but if not then you should provide more info on the medium and the type of system you have so we can give you a more definate answer if there not in soil.

T

TonyScorpio

Well, the clones are dead. One of the clones was a doner and came with unwanted guests (Mites). I tried to treat them by dipping them in neem oil. I think that kind of deminished their health. So, I ended up trashing them for precautionary reasons.
So now my next cycle will be all from seed. I will be using 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" rockwool cubes once they germinate. I have not started to germinate yet. Trying to put together a homemade enclosure first. I still have about 4 weeks left of flowering for my current cycle. I like to get some insight ahead of time.
I am currently using the Flora Duo nutes and using General Hydronics Flora Duo expert feeding schedule. It is readily available on their website, if that helps. Also, I'm using a 3X3 flood and drain table recirculating. The res. is a 30 gal.
I appreciate all the help and advice I receive. If any other details are needed, I willprovide what I can.

T

TonyScorpio

I also plan on going to a drip system for my next cycle. They will be eventually transferred to 6X6X6 rockwool cubes when ready. What kind of feeding schedule and strenght of nutes should I go with on the drip system? Take in mind I plan on staying with the Flora Duo Nutes and the same feeding schedule.
I do have to scale the recommended Flora Duo feeding schedule back to stay with in my ppm parameters. That's to stay within the high side of the ppm parameters. I may even need to scale back slightly more to hang around the lower ppm range not sure what is best or how to tell if it right or not. My girls seem to be looking good to me right now. That is the remaining 3 that I have. I evicted 5 of 8 for going hermie on me. For all I know they could've stressed them with early temp problems, or maybe I used too strong of nute solutions.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Well since your going with all seeds that kinda voids the original post ;)

All joking aside, that sounds like a really nice setup, but I never used a flood n drain w/rockwool so I don't wanna give you bad advice on how to feed. There is a Farmer by the name of dessert squirrel, if I spelled it right, so I would search his threads because he has ALOT of great info on how to grow and feed plants in rockwool. As long as you got an EC/ppm meter you should be fine, IMO its easier to under feed then slowly bump it higher instead of over feeding then trying to bump it lower, good luck.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Oh yeah, I don't think high temps early on or over feeding will cause hermies later in flower because I've had it close to 100F a couple times and never got hermies. It could of been stress during flower or a light leak somewhere?? Maybe they had hermie tendencies in the genetics.

T

TonyScorpio

This may have been answered in the above and I'm overlooking it, but now that I'm going from all seeds now. In Rockwool, when they have sprouted. When should I start giving them mild nutes? And should I just start out with giving only ph'd water?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I never grew seeds in rockwool, but I would assume that it would only need ph'd water in the beginning until you see the leaves start to yellow or maybe very slow growth. Probably the 1st week or so with plain water then start the nutes off at 1/8 strength. I'm not sure about this but thats how I would start it.

baaka_san

baaka_san

What lex0415 suggested sounds good to me. I would go with regular ph'd water until the little sprout breaks surface then gradually introduce your nutes into the picture. You could probably just go with a root stimulant up until the first 2 baby leaves start to appear then go ahead with adding your supplements at half of half strength with whatever your use for feeding. They will gradually build up their appetite and from then on you should be good. I personally like to play with teas in the beginning stages of life and add my nutes later but yea...

T

TonyScorpio

Thx for all of the info my Fellow growers. I like to learn as much as possible from all who share in our cause.
I checked out your ladies, Lex. I like what you have going on. I'd like to find some blueberry beans to try out. I've started germinating 3 white widows, 2 Super Silver Haze, and 3 of what are supposed to be blueberry afghani. Not sure if that's what they really are. Really wouldn't know if they are or aren't. I have my fingers crossed.
I'll be happy as long as its successful either way. In time I hope to gain some knowledge to share with others, also.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thanks Tony, those are some nice strains so good luck and your definately gonna gain lots of knowlegde to help people how if you keep growing and reading.

Top Bottom