Growl LEDs

• Thread starter Thebogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thebogie

Anyone have experience with this brand of Led? Building a new small room and thinking LED vs HPS. Heat and elec. $ cost is why. Hear good things about quality not quantity and that is what i am after. Know a bit pricey upfront but the wife has been without xmas presents before! LOL

I

ibTheMan

they wont give you quality either, hps is your best bet for sure.

S

sm0k4

Not giving you quality is such an understatement. There is yet a light to be sold with the top bin LEDs.

The thing with buying lights online is that you don't know what bin or type of LEDs they use. LEDs are not all the same. When it comes to LEDs, it is about efficiency that helps light output the most. Keeping the junction temp. of the LED cool is vital for its output and life-span. If you can keep them at max efficiency, not max power, you can have a well built, long lasting grow light.

So in the design you calculate your wattage you need for your space at max efficiency (ie, less amperage), so when you flower, you have that little extra you can turn them up for even more wattage than necessary in your room/cabinet. Even going from 350mA to 600mA is a big boost in power ouput with many LEDs.

Designing it yourself allows for control of the power output of each string of lights individually as well. That way you can dim certain strings with certain colors during veg when not needed, then turn them up in flower when you want more of that red spectrum.

When you veg you don't need 75% red light, 60-70% is all that is needed. So you could dim the red strands saving power AND life of the LEDs. Maybe run the blue/white strings a little higher. You have the flexibility to tune the lights how you want them for each stage of growth.

This type of design is much more robust and versatile than your plug-n-grow lamp and will last way longer because you source the best components and LEDs. Yeah, it is going to cost me about $600+ once I finish ordering my bill of materials for only the light that will go into my 3'x2' cabinet, but I will have enough wattage because I designed my light for max. output AND max. efficiency. There are like 160 LEDs in the light ranging from .8 to 1.5W each. 12 per heat sink strip. I have 200 Watts driving low currents, and over 300 watts driving just 300mA above that.

Once you get proper wattage output to your room, its all about color mixture and wavelengths after that. Maybe tune your drivers to give you that exact 70%/15%/15% ratio of Red/Blue/White.

I am curious to see how long these units people are buying hold up for before having an LED that goes out taking that whole driver's string out of the light.

I will def. share my setup when I finish, but the holidays are coming and its going to take a bit before I get all components here. I have some LEDs on the way so I can play with mounting and part of my light built.

X

XxShibbyxX

Got a room with 12 300 watt leds. They say those are equal to 1300-1500 watts each i think..

(correct me if im wrong people)

They kick ass for veg but there isnt enough in my opinion to use it through flower. Either way they sure do make a nice sex light :-P

L

Lost

Untill you see led panels with 10w and more leds, forget it.

Why companies are mesing with 1 watt leds is beyond me, they do not have the intensity. Ever seen those $200 led flashlights? They shoot light for over a 1/2 mile! I have a cheap MAG version and even that single led puts out more than what the led panel makers are using. I can see over 5 acres away with it!

The reality is that they are using cheap leds that will not work for flower. If you look at some places that sell leds and led commercial flood applications, you will quickly see what I am talking about!

I

IrishBoy

Ive grow with leds for many years. Leds if use the right ones will yield a little better then hid and the quality will be better also. Their are side x sides being done right now to prove it.

No leds will equal 1000whid from 300w led it wont happen! Its just a bs scam. 1w leds with 120 degree leds are junk. You want at least the 3w leds.

Not all leds are the same, i never tested the one you said, but ive used quite a few other ones. I have a ton of journals on the web with great led info, i just started a grow here with leds also. I pull fat buds all day with the lights i am using. Its the 1w leds that will waist ur time and money. Never buy 120 dregee led angles. 90 is where its at.

I get better yields and buds then i did with my 1k hps using leds, theirs just a learning curve and using the right leds. Search the web for setting suns 300w led vs 400w hps. Thats as good as a side x side u will ever see.

Hope that info helps? Any questions just ask, ive been using leds for many years one of the 1st to really give leds their name. Search the web for irish boy's leds grows.

IVE BEEN ABLE TO GROW IN 100F+ TEMPS WITH LEDS AND PULL GOOD SIZE BUDS,

DONT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU LEDS WONT FLOWER OR GIVE GOOD YIELD OR GOOD QUALITY, IVE PROVED THAT WRONG MANY TIMES.
HERS JUST A FEW BRANCHES ON MY PLANTS I GREW WITH $12 NUTES FROM hOME DEPOT.

THESE ARE SOME ALMOST 5' PLANTS I GREW IN 100F+ TEMPS THE WHOLE GROW, AND GOT SPIDER MITES AND EVERYTHING WENT WRONG AND I STILL PULLED OVER A POUND FROM 6 PLANTS AND I HAD TO TOSS 1/2 OF MY GROW FROM GOING HERMI. MY OTHER GROW I PULLED 19OZ FROM 4 PLANTS WITH 600W LED UNIT.

NOW I AM NOT DISSING HID OR CMH BECAUSE I HAVE RESPECT FOR THEM I USED A 1K HPS FOR MANY YEARS. I JUST CHOSE THESE LEDS BECAUSE THEY WORK GOOD FOR ME AND MAKE ME ABLE TO GROW IN THE SUMMER TIME WITHOUT A/C. REMEMBER NOT ALL LEDS ARE THE SAME, ITS VERY RISKY BUYING A LIGHT WITHOUT SEEING RESULTS FROM OTHER GROWERS. BE CAREFUL!!!! TOOK ME A WHILE TO FIND THE ONES I LIKE

Day 56 of flower 008 600x449
Resin pics 005 600x449
Dry pics 014 600x449
100 3478
100 3496
100 3497
100 3518
100 3413
100 3423
100 3378
T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah LEDs work very well. As IFB states you have to have the right LED, spectrums etc.

If you check in my threads youll see I have just finished a very sucessful grow pulling 360g from a 290w LED unit. And the finished result is as good or slightly better than the HID counter part. And I certainly do not grow shwag as anyone who has smoked my gear will testify.

TBH, with all the evidence out there showing that LEDs can indeed grow great bud and good amounts too, its just plain stupidity and lack of education for people to say otherwise.

I

IrishBoy

Yeah LEDs work very well. As IFB states you have to have the right LED, spectrums etc.

If you check in my threads youll see I have just finished a very sucessful grow pulling 360g from a 290w LED unit. And the finished result is as good or slightly better than the HID counter part. And I certainly do not grow shwag as anyone who has smoked my gear will testify.

TBH, with all the evidence out there showing that LEDs can indeed grow great bud and good amounts too, its just plain stupidity and lack of education for people to say otherwise.

amen. once someone bought a cheap led and it did work because they were buying the cheapest stuff, the bad word spread like fire. i pull big frosty buds all day with my leds, even in 100F+ where the radiant heat from my HID would have fried my girls.

i have pics all day in my journal of me pulling good yields with leds.

just because some leds are cheap and suck dosent mean their all junk.

E

ent

I think if you are asking if you should choose between HID and LED it would be in your best interest to grow with HID. I think theherbalizor's results are mostly the exception, not the rule- and the reasons he does well is because of his experience with growing cannabis in many different ways. If you're asking you probably want to stick with HID's.

I

IrishBoy

I think if you are asking if you should choose between HID and LED it would be in your best interest to grow with HID. I think theherbalizor's results are mostly the exception, not the rule- and the reasons he does well is because of his experience with growing cannabis in many different ways. If you're asking you probably want to stick with HID's.

both lights grow great dank its all on the grower and strain and the environment. ive used both for a long time. i choose to use leds because thats what works better for me to get what i want with my goals. HID lights are great lights also. all i want to do is show that with the right led company you can get grat results. allot of led company's make allot of BS claims and scams witch gave leds a bad name, so i am just trying to show proof with my grows and pics that leds are great growing lights. i am also trying to show how allot of big nute company's are scams also, and you can grow better meds with $12 nutes that will do 100-200 plants for $12 and you only have to feed once, just plain water after that. ive seen AN $200 worth get token by these $12 nutes that will last u all year. no more flushing or mixing up a ton of nutes or anything. i have very detailed info on these on my other threads if you search google with my name.

those big bud branches i posted up top were grown with $12 nutes from homedepot and leds in 100F+ summer temps.

H

Hylife

If you guys think that no ones using good LED's, you should read up on these guys.
www.kessil.com
A little pricy, and they recommend 6 for a 4x4 area, but they are bad ass lights. Supposedly they can penetrate through 5 feet of foliage, so no more lolly-popping maybe?
I haven't been able to try them out for price reasons, any one else used them?

Top Bottom