Growstones/coco vs hydroton/coco performance, anybody know?

• Thread starter dankworth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

Hydroton prices went up. Chow is fun. Growstones look like they might be cool.
Anybody know performance characteristics? Mixed with coco?
Looking for something to beat chow performance.
Thanks everybody.

Y

yayarea

I dont know about growstones but I have been using Gold Labels 80/20 hydroton coco mix and its been great. No washing rocks, no mixing coco, fill your pots straight out the bag. I have been checking the initial run off and it has been low 120ppm range. Another thing I dont know if its just a coincidence but the gnats are not in my tubs with the gold Label mix, but they are in the hydroton and coco I mixed myself. About $21 for a 50L bag where im at.

homebrew420

homebrew420

What ever is cheaper. You will not notice a difference. The minimal silica your plant will take from the growstones is so nominal. Enjoy

Peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

I dont know about growstones but I have been using Gold Labels 80/20 hydroton coco mix and its been great. No washing rocks, no mixing coco, fill your pots straight out the bag. I have been checking the initial run off and it has been low 120ppm range. Another thing I dont know if its just a coincidence but the gnats are not in my tubs with the gold Label mix, but they are in the hydroton and coco I mixed myself. About $21 for a 50L bag where im at.
Coincidence I am afraid. The chow mix may dry a tad faster making it more difficult to reproduce. Maybe

Peace

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
If nothing else growstone are way lighter. Easier to work with. They are also made from recycled glass. The owners are real nice folks too.

outwest

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Guy from gold label was claiming that hydroton is no longer being made. (stating they will be still be making there clay pebbles) Fact or fiction, I do not know. Still got the clay locally.

As of the 28th of May.... Hydroton has closed it's production factory... and ceased production of hydroton completely...

The company is reported as saying that the ... clay was not meeting quality standards, so rather than sell a substandard product, they would close production.....

The lighter weight of growstones is appealing...

What ever is cheaper. You will not notice a difference. The minimal silica your plant will take from the growstones is so nominal. Enjoy

Peace
Which growstone product did you use in your comparison with hydroton?

If nothing else growstone are way lighter. Easier to work with. They are also made from recycled glass. The owners are real nice folks too.

outwest
Which growstone's have you been using???
Super Soil aerator or the hydroponic substrate?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks, You got some super duper soil going on there. Hope you have a good weekend!

Thanks, homie. Just spent 2 hours tending garden. Things are looking good. Had to do a lot of staking, which is always a good thing.

outwest

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Very interested in Where yhis thread is going, especially since i think it is an important part of my "dialed in" grow style.

Hydroton seems to provide a water flowing,nft action type shit that others mediums cant fuck with and that nft action combined with coco in the right ratios/ feed times = the holy grail hydro/soiless/yield maximizing setup im/we are looking for. If it is ceased production, im hoarding/ looking for alternatitives. Very intrested in the LAVA ROCK cylinders Cauldton metioned; anybody use them or can explain the pros-n-cons??

Confu...

NeWcS

NeWcS

The only thing that I can say bad about GS is they are really light. In my DWC I put 'rocks' on either the top or the bottom of my netpot to help anchor the plant.

homebrew420

homebrew420

The only thing that I can say bad about GS is they are really light. In my DWC I put 'rocks' on either the top or the bottom of my netpot to help anchor the plant.
Yep I can definately see that happening. We use rocks for RDWC.
Lava rock would work I have heard many issues in hydro due to pH swings. In coco though probably be just fine. And cheap, and a potential source of sulfur.
Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom