Grundo’s first RDWC attempt.

• Thread starter Grundo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FourthCity

FourthCity

If its just four of the blurples then I'd bet you are going to need some more lighting in flower to make the most out of the square footage you're using. What size tent and what kind of lights do you have?

Grundo

Grundo

If its just four of the blurples then I'd bet you are going to need some more lighting in flower to make the most out of the square footage you're using. What size tent and what kind of lights do you have?

4 kind xl 1000...I know old school😂. Tent is 9x9 gorilla with 24 bubble flow buckets.

FourthCity

FourthCity

With about another 1500 watts you'll be in that sweet spot, about 40-50 watts/sqft. You dont really need to be on the high end with the reflective tent walls helping out. What you have probably works great in veg but there is a lot of missed potential in flower without the increased lighting. As an experiment you could run your existing lights over a smaller footprint (8x8 or roughly 63sqft) with fewer plants, I believe you would see a greater yield per sq/ft as well and an increase in quality.

Grundo

Grundo

First attempt at growing at all...growing 24 plants in hydro and they look like that, and the only comment is I don’t have enough light...gheesh tough crowd I guess. I need to try harder I guess 🤔

FourthCity

FourthCity

First attempt at growing at all...growing 24 plants in hydro and they look like that, and the only comment is I don’t have enough light...gheesh tough crowd I guess. I need to try harder I guess 🤔
Glass half empty kinda guy? Its your first time growing at all, you have 24 plants in hydro, and the only critique I can give is that you could benefit from more light soon. Sound a little better that way? I mean it, that is the only thing I think you need to do, everything else looks spot on. Ok maybe a few more fans would be nice too but thats really it, I promise. If/when you are ready for more lights there are some better options we can discuss but what you have will work fine for now. The more you grow the more you will appreciate the constructive criticism, I have been growing for over 10 years and every time someone points out something I could do differently or better, I get excited by the possibility of improving the quality of my medicine.

Grundo

Grundo

Glass half empty kinda guy? Its your first time growing at all, you have 24 plants in hydro, and the only critique I can give is that you could benefit from more light soon. Sound a little better that way? I mean it, that is the only thing I think you need to do, everything else looks spot on. Ok maybe a few more fans would be nice too but thats really it, I promise. If/when you are ready for more lights there are some better options we can discuss but what you have will work fine for now. The more you grow the more you will appreciate the constructive criticism, I have been growing for over 10 years and every time someone points out something I could do differently or better, I get excited by the possibility of improving the quality of my medicine.

Grundo

Grundo

Sorry, I’ve been a little short fused lately. Thanks for your reply and yes I should look at the glass 1/2 full instead of empty. I totally agree and welcome any kind of advice. Thanks for the light recommendation, and you are correct. I will see how this turns out and adjust for the next grow. I welcome any advice on lights...I really want the best for myself and my patient. Also I have 4 fans on the floor of the tent. 2 on each side of my runs They face each other at opposite ends blowing into the middle of the canopy.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Sorry, I’ve been a little short fused lately. Thanks for your reply and yes I should look at the glass 1/2 full instead of empty. I totally agree and welcome any kind of advice. Thanks for the light recommendation, and you are correct. I will see how this turns out and adjust for the next grow. I welcome any advice on lights...I really want the best for myself and my patient. Also I have 4 fans on the floor of the tent. 2 on each side of my runs They face each other at opposite ends blowing into the middle of the canopy.
Maybe two more of the fans up top, you'll only really need those once you have some buds going and mainly to help prevent against mold, your circulation is probably fine for now. I run hps with an older led like yours in my veg tent and hlg quantum boards next to timber cobs in the flower area, eventually I will upgrade the veg lights to newer leds too. If you go with led and assuming you are growing full cycle in the tent I think either a 3000k or 3500k from timber or hlg's V2 rspec will work great. I would try to arrange the existing lights in a way that you could evenly incorporate the new lights throughout the tent, that way all the plants can benefit from the upgrade. Also, I bet you get a lb and a half easy with your current setup, that may or may not be more than what you were expecting, if it is then there is no real need to buy more lights until you want that extra production

Grundo

Grundo

I’m looking at the HLG550 r-spec. I think I would do 6 and evenly space them like you said. I’ve had a few hydro growers say a bit more and some say less...wont know till it’s time I guess. I would like to be in the 5lb range for 24. Is 4 ounces a plant to far fetched? First time so I don’t know just going off what I’ve seen and read. Keep the knowledge coming!

FourthCity

FourthCity

I’m looking at the HLG550 r-spec. I think I would do 6 and evenly space them like you said. I’ve had a few hydro growers say a bit more and some say less...wont know till it’s time I guess. I would like to be in the 5lb range for 24. Is 4 ounces a plant to far fetched? First time so I don’t know just going off what I’ve seen and read. Keep the knowledge coming!
Thats a great light, if you look on their site under "qb kits" there is also the 600h v2 rspec that has 640 watts and is less expensive with higher wattage, its a better deal if you dont mind some very simple assembly. I think the reasonable max for the tent, with the additional lighting, assuming healthy plants fill every square foot in flower and are of good genetics is probably as much as 6-8 pounds per complete harvest. The 1.5 pound estimate I made earlier is really a minimum with that many plants and your lighting, its also what I expect the dry, trimmed, solid bud weight to be, not including all the popcorn larfy stuff. I dont think the blurple lights penetrate very deep in flower due to their lower intensity vs most "white light" leds and hid lamps so its harder to get those nice long monster buds that continue below the canopy, thats why my estimate is a little on the low side. Also, gsc isnt generally a huge yield but the buds are very nice. Ill give that 1.5lb minimum a 1.5lb range with your setup, I wouldn't be shocked to see as much as 3lbs if you stay completely dialed in but 5 might be a stretch. You might want to look into maintaining your VPD as well if you are not already, this is a big part of the variables that will determine the size of your yield.

Grundo

Grundo

I’m trying to keep the VPD in check. It’s a juggling act for sure with the amount of water I’m running. My blurple led are Kind XL 1000 WiFi. This is their flagship model. They have 3 and 5 watt diodes plus a secondary optic the focuses on canopy penetration. I’m not saying their the best but I think I’m going to get good penetration, only time will tell. Thanks again

FourthCity

FourthCity

I’m trying to keep the VPD in check. It’s a juggling act for sure with the amount of water I’m running. My blurple led are Kind XL 1000 WiFi. This is their flagship model. They have 3 and 5 watt diodes plus a secondary optic the focuses on canopy penetration. I’m not saying their the best but I think I’m going to get good penetration, only time will tell. Thanks again
Im just speaking relatively about the penetration in comparison to the white light leds, never said yours were bad but they are simply based on older tech that does not perform as well as most newer leds. If I thought they couldn't grow decent weed I would have recommend replacing all your lights, not just adding more. That being said, the more a light penetrates the more you will yeild. Its good you are controlling you vpd, this can actually be used to demonstrate what I am saying about the lights. Take the infrared thermometer you use to get your leaf temps and compare the leaves closest to the light to those furthest away, both on top of the canopy and below. If there is a difference in temperatures that means that plants or parts of the plants are not getting equal amounts of light (depending on the situation some plants could be getting to much, some to little, or a combination of both.) This difference in temperature also means that no matter how you dial in the vpd it wont be ideal for the entire crop. The more even your lighting and the deeper it penetrates the more even your leaf temps and vpd should be throughout all the plants, which in turn will only lead to greater yields.

Top Bottom