Gryphon butane? Any thoughts?

• Thread starter Hodor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hodor

Hodor

I am relatively new to making bho and the shop by me only has gryphon. Was just wondering if anyone else has used or has any input?
Thanks

Pisces

Pisces

Never heard of it……

I was using Special Blue x7 with excellent result…..but have recently switched to Crown.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

What kind of shop is it? Pipe shop, tobacco store? Try cigar stores also if you have any near you. Lol I must be lucky.... Their are 5 head shops within 15 minutes from me so I have a nice selection to choose from. I've been using the vector 14....7 bucks a can

Pisces

Pisces

Geeez, $7 a can????

Ebay sells 12 packs of Vector x14 for $65… thats roughly $5.50 a can.

Something to consider..?!?!

Not sure why you'd want to spend so much on Vector Butane anyways…..the stuff has waaaaaay more residuals in it then Special Blue x7 and WAY more residuals then Crown Butane, which are both about half the price of Vector.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Geeez, $7 a can????

Ebay sells 12 packs of Vector x14 for $65… thats roughly $5.50 a can.

Something to consider..?!?!

Not sure why you'd want to spend so much on Vector Butane anyways…..the stuff has waaaaaay more residuals in it then Special Blue x7 and WAY more residuals then Crown Butane, which are both about half the price of Vector.
Does that price figure include shipping? I only buy one can at a time so it really isn't cost effective to buy a case. 12 cans would last me over a year lol.

Pisces

Pisces

Free shipping…..

VECTOR 14x Filtered Premium Butane (12-Pack) 320ml 10.8oz Signature Quality

Yea, but thats $25 that could be going into your electric bill or gas tank or…. ;)

Pisces

Pisces

OR>…….. you could get a 12 pack of Crown which is a MUCH cleaner butane for almost half that price.

Something to consider!!!!

12 Cans Butane Gas CROWN . European British Lighter Refill Wholesale Fuel

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Aren't these opinions though? There isn't any type of information available to truly determine which brand is "best" for extraction is there? Aren't these opinions all formed from people using them and deciding by the end product? I've read a lot of people who swear by vector. I'll give the blue seven a try next time and note any differences. I would think the majority of the impurities would stay in the extraction tube stuck to the flower material (lubricants etc). I'm here to learn so I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks for the tips!

Pisces

Pisces

Hey StonedPngwin, actually, i know of a couple of people including myself who have tested selected premium cans of butane over the years and have taken Residual Samples from each can and weighed the residue to determine which can had the most impurities….

From what we determined…. Vector has around nearly .025 grams of residue in it while Special Blue x 7 only has about .01 gram and thats the same for Crown Butane as well….

IME, both Special Blue & Crown are not only much cleaner to inhale but also taste a LOT better as well.

With Vector, there was ALWAYS a hint of after taste….. But not with Crown!

Super Clean butane through and through,…...

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Hey StonedPngwin, actually, i know of a couple of people including myself who have tested selected premium cans of butane over the years and have taken Residual Samples from each can and weighed the residue to determine which can had the most impurities….

From what we determined…. Vector has around nearly .025 grams of residue in it while Special Blue x 7 only has about .01 gram and thats the same for Crown Butane as well….

IME, both Special Blue & Crown are not only much cleaner to inhale but also taste a LOT better as well.

With Vector, there was ALWAYS a hint of after taste….. But not with Crown!

Super Clean butane through and through,…...
Nice! That's exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to impart some knowledge on me am I correct that without a vacuum oven I cannot produce a shatter consistency?

Pisces

Pisces

yes, imo, you can produce shatter w/o a vac…… BUTTTT, it takes a LOT longer….like days as appose to hours.
But even then, chances are, it won't be completely rid of ally the moisture in the Oil so It'll eventually wax up on you.

During the time it'll take you to purge w/o a Vac-pump, you will need to produce and keep a slow constant heat under the oil at all times without too much heat fluctuation.

If you can, try and order yourself an IR thermometer for around $20.

This will determine what temps your oil is at all times.

The object is to keep the temps below 120*f and above 110*f at all times during the purging process.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

That is the step I'm currently ironing out the bugs in. An ir thermo is definitely my next purchase. I used a pancake griddle last time, with two layers of silpat underneath, had the griddle set to 120,but the stupid thing is so old it was to hot. I need to find a better method of keeping a consistent temperature. I was thinking about a pond heater to keep the water in a double boiler hot as opposed to changing the water every ten minutes.

Pisces

Pisces

I place a Pot of warm water on top of my Skillet….then I place my Pyrex dish on top of that.

This allows the Oil to stay Evenly warm throughout the entire process…..

And the answer is NO, I DO NOT ever get water or moisture into my Oil by using this method….

I have literally left Oil in my warm water bath for way over 24 hours and have NEVER had any issues.

Here is a Pic of what I'm talking about. …… Basically from here, you'd scrape up the Oil, then place it on a piece of Parchment.

Now, you'll want to take ISO and a paper towel and clean out the Pyrex really well.

Next, you would take another piece of parchment roughly the same size as the piece the Oil is on and place it over the Oil on top of the Parchment and then literally smash it down as much as you can leaving only a very very thin slab of oil.

Next, you may have to place the oil into the freezer for a couple seconds to harden the Oil enough to remove the second piece of Parchment without it sticking to it.

Ok, so now that the Oil in in a thin slab, place the Oil on top of Parchment back on the warm & clean Pyrex and allow to do it's thing for a day or two…..

Oil20

Jay Tea

Jay Tea

Aren't these opinions though? There isn't any type of information available to truly determine which brand is "best" for extraction is there? Aren't these opinions all formed from people using them and deciding by the end product? I've read a lot of people who swear by vector. I'll give the blue seven a try next time and note any differences. I would think the majority of the impurities would stay in the extraction tube stuck to the flower material (lubricants etc). I'm here to learn so I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks for the tips!

Jay Tea

Jay Tea

So much about concentrates is rooted in opinion. Even the terminology we use to describe them can be debated.(oil, wax, crumble, budder, etc.). I find that expeience gives the best advice.

Top Bottom