Guano!

• Thread starter endizm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

endizm

Hello Guano! i stumbled across your post in a compost tea thread, and had some questions. if its not to much trouble, it would be friggin awesome if u could entertain my inquiries about the tea.

This makes 5 gallons of tea,if you don't need that much just ammend the ingredients to suit your needs & make smaller batches.

Here is a list of materials you will need:

1. 1 or 5 gallon container, I use a 5 gallon bucket.

2. Fish tank pump and an air stone.

3. A pair of old socks or a # 2 panty hose.

4. Some type of measuring device…Tablespoon and Measuring cup ( one
that reads ml or ounces).

5. Quality compost and liquid additives.

Once you have gathered all of your usable materials you are ready to begin. First, take and fill the container of choice up. Let it bubble for 24-48 hours to ensure that all the chlorine is “burned” off. I call this “tepid” water. Once this procedure is complete you are ready to add your organic material. Take your sock and place in what materials you choose to use. Place the sock with the organic material in the container and agitate it vigorously. After about 24 hours you will see foam start to form at the top of the solution. This will let you know that the micro-population of beneficial bacteria are starting to breed. Continue to brew for another 24 hours. Once this process is complete you will have an excellent foliar feed or a soil drench.

Here is a basic tea recipe:

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nutrient tea mix-
5 TBS. Black Strap Molasses
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

Vegetative mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 TBS. Maxi-crop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 TBS. Liquid Karma (optional)
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

Flowering nutrient tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)

Dilute as needed. Generally, 2 to 3 cups per 5 gallons of water @ every watering.

Each mix is unique. Use your better judgment on the amounts and the ingredients. Remember, your tea can be as versatile as you wish it to be. Be creative. Your plants will love you for it.

Using the above recipe-Flowering nute tea mix:
I convert it to:

2 tbs Peruvian Seabird Guano
2 tbs Earth Worm Castings
2 tbs High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
1 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
1 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 1 gallon of water

"Mycorrhizal Tea" is obtained by adding mycorrhizal fungi spores to the working brew. The spores will germinate within a few hours after being introduced into the tea solution.

The main thing your looking for in organic food sources is N-P-K (Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium). The ratios of the numbers should be 3-1-2 for veg and 1-3-2 for flower. What you use doesn't matter much. For Nitrogen you could use alfalfa meal, dried blood or Mexican bat guano. For Phosphorous try bone meal, Jamacian bat guano or Neptune's Harvest fish. And for Potassium it's kelp meal, seaweed or Earth Juice Meta-K. And there are others.

how do u determine the npk of your tea?

and one more question.....
Vegetative mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 TBS. Liquid Karma (optional)
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

does this mean u mix one cup of tea into 5 gallons of water?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bump-de-bump. Guano, if you're reading.... <insert the winky of absolution here>

F

Frank_Castle

I don't know the answer with the first question Seamaiden; but for the second part - that is the ingredients for a 5 gallon bucket. You could give or take a gallon and not hurt the mix.

hashrip

hashrip

I'm not Guano but I hope you don't mind if I take a whack at this. Finding NPK value is very simple. You just add the npk of all the indredients. For the veg tea, for example, I find it adds up to approx. 21.5-12.5-7.3 which is a 3-2-1 ratio. It's not the 3-1-2 that he suggests but it's still a great simple mix. If you really wanted to stick to the 3-1-2 ratio, a TBS of greensand would surely do the trick.

I'll show you how I added up all the ingredients...

Sunleaves Peruvian Guano 10-10-2
Sunleaves Mexican Guano 10-2-1
Earthworm Castings .5-.5-0.3
Maxicrop 1-0-4

It comes out to 21.5-12.5-7.3
Hope that helps.

E

endizm

I don't know the answer with the first question Seamaiden; but for the second part - that is the ingredients for a 5 gallon bucket. You could give or take a gallon and not hurt the mix.

thanx frank but that dosent really answer the question... i was asking if that recipe is for a tea, or a tea concentrate(something u have to dilute)... i was confused by his instructions at the bottom of his recipe.

E

endizm

I'm not Guano but I hope you don't mind if I take a whack at this. Finding NPK value is very simple. You just add the npk of all the indredients. For the veg tea, for example, I find it adds up to approx. 21.5-12.5-7.3 which is a 3-2-1 ratio. It's not the 3-1-2 that he suggests but it's still a great simple mix. If you really wanted to stick to the 3-1-2 ratio, a TBS of greensand would surely do the trick.

I'll show you how I added up all the ingredients...

Sunleaves Peruvian Guano 10-10-2
Sunleaves Mexican Guano 10-2-1
Earthworm Castings .5-.5-0.3
Maxicrop 1-0-4

It comes out to 21.5-12.5-7.3
Hope that helps.

thank u hashrip!!! explains alot! but what exactly do u mean by 3-1-2 ratio?

hashrip

hashrip

The 3-1-2 ratio is what Guano suggests as a veg tea right? Whatever the total NPK is, of all the ingredients combined, it should be equivalent to the ratio of 3-1-2. For example, if all the ingredients add up to an NPK of say 30-20-10, you would have a ratio of 3-2-1. You see? 21.5-12.5-7.3 is a ratio of 3-2-1 because if you devide each number by 7 you get roughly 3-2-1! Just find the lowest common denominator to get the ratio. Lol I remember being in high school saying "Math is stupid, I'll never use it in real life!" and now I'm using it to help me grow weed! Funny how things work out...

hashrip

hashrip

Also, I don't think Guano meant for this to be used as a concentrate... I think he meant for you to mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket of water and then you're ready to go. I could be wrong but that's how I read it. But really, it doesn't matter! With organics it's kinda hard to burn plants so you usually don't have to worry about that. The very last recipe that he gives in NOT a concentrated batch, it's just a smaller one (from 5 gal to 1 gal).

E

endizm

nice thank u hashrip. im glad i payed attention in math class!!! ...when i went lol! do u run organics? do u know anything about bone meal or crab meal? my hippie growshop dude rants about it. im really tempted on comitting to the switch for the most part. i have had awesome success with my EWC-Tea. not just in my weed but in my house plants and vegitables! so im super curious. never really seen end product, or actually been told a growing schedule/feeding chart.
any thing u or sea maiden can shed a light on would be awesome!

E

endizm

oh and what are the npk ratios i want for veg, flower, and bloom?

S

Shredder

Guys/gals you do know that guano in teas is not a microbe rich environ, right? I have learned that just this year. So I feel it is best to top dress guanos.

And i don't think in terms of the NPK routine much anymore. Or, only in a general way.

I think microbes, and what is best for them, diversity rules in my plans. In a living soil, I'm trying to feed microbes a diverse diet. When the plants exude, they call on those microbes to supply them what they want, so as long as the microbes have what is needed, every thing just rocks along. Trying to guess what they want, when they want it, is harder than you might think, kind of a hit or miss deal. Forcing the issue can lead to lockouts, deficiencies and all that bad juju we read on these forums all the time..........shredder

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think so much in NPK anymore, either. I'm focused on the soil itself, and I go very much by feel, which is probably not the right or best way to go about it. I'm not so much about guanos as I am about organic sources, unadulterated, and the soil food web inasmuch as I can "work" it.

Top Bottom