Guidelines On Pruning

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mojavegreen

mojavegreen

I am very curious the reasons u prefer to grow this way.:)

Dunge

Dunge

Dunge,like I said this is not for everyone,it is the way I have done things for a long time and I have no evidence it increases yield or makes better bud as you can see in the 1st and 3rd pics I can grow leaves as well as anybody but this is my way thats all I*m saying,Peace.
I saw a youtube video of a well intentioned fellow showing how to defoliate.
He proceeded to strip every fan off a nice big plant.
It almost made me sick.

My training tells me that light absorption by leafs is imperfect in that much of the light passes through.
Your eye will fool you in that much of the green is reflected making the under leaf "look" dark.
I try to keep a closed canopy with at least two layers between lamp and floor.
My present method has me removing all leaf below half height.

It's not that I don't want you to do it your way, I just hate to see it so well documented.(nice photos)
Please do bother to test your assumptions.
Grow log, grow log.
Peace to you too.

Shamus

Shamus

Dunge,like I said this is not for everyone,it is the way I have done things for a long time and I have no evidence it increases yield or makes better bud as you can see in the 1st and 3rd pics I can grow leaves as well as anybody but this is my way thats all I*m saying,Peace.
Please try it this next run with one plant that isn't like that. I promise you you'll like it.

O

oregonmellow

Thank you for your input and comments,the buds you see on all those plants are about 2 weeks old at 12/12 and are extremely pungent and sticky,strain White Widow,I am sorry to the farmers who think my method is extreme,radical,stupid,wasteful,etc..like I said,I can grow leaves as good as anybody as my first couple pics show,I have about 10 weeks of root stock that is feeding those 2 week old buds and doing a good job of it,(that*s why re-veg happens so fast) as far as fan leaves go the buds themselves are putting what they need out to collect the light they need to sustain,so because the images are disturbing, and I don*t want to make anybody sick(that*s for you brother Dunge,lol) I am asking a Mod to remove my pictures from my posts,and thanks it*s o.k.,we all do things different that*s what makes all this work,much good vibes to my fellow growers,Peace.

J

jinxjj

i would need to see the side view of those bigger plants.do you plan to keep them sitting where they are now? you will prob need some advice from sog guys.i try not to crowd plants and whenever possible i give each plant 2 lights or more,everything overlaps in my room though.almost looks like you could respace those plants and make better use of the space but idk if your planning to add more plants yet
I will upload some side shots i have in a second, they are a few days old so if not good enough i will take more today when i can enter the bloom area.

Problem is i need to throw many more plants into that bloom area... That is why i am trying to keep these gals somewhat contained and only focus on main colas. I will probably have to end up removing half of these depending on how many turn male. The smaller ones in front are Happa Haze and i know they are female already since they were a gift so those are staying.

J

jinxjj

Thank you for your input and comments,the buds you see on all those plants are about 2 weeks old at 12/12 and are extremely pungent and sticky,strain White Widow,I am sorry to the farmers who think my method is extreme,radical,stupid,wasteful,etc..like I said,I can grow leaves as good as anybody as my first couple pics show,I have about 10 weeks of root stock that is feeding those 2 week old buds and doing a good job of it,(that*s why re-veg happens so fast) as far as fan leaves go the buds themselves are putting what they need out to collect the light they need to sustain,so because the images are disturbing, and I don*t want to make anybody sick(that*s for you brother Dunge,lol) I am asking a Mod to remove my pictures from my posts,and thanks it*s o.k.,we all do things different that*s what makes all this work,much good vibes to my fellow growers,Peace.

Honestly, fuck anyone that is offended. Pix = Proof.

Some people just refuse to listen even when presented with irrefutable evidence right in their face. It is ONE, i repeat ONE way to grow, just because its not the way YOU like to grow doesnt mean it is ineffective.

/rant

O

oregonmellow

jinxjj you could take some of those bottom leaves off, didn*t you say you were going for Scrog?Are your girls in 6 inch pots?just wondering if you were going to up pot,you get more effective use of your space with square pots they can be hard to find in the bigger sizes, give them plenty of air and lots of love,happy grow,Peace.

O

oregonmellow

mojavegreen ,just to answer your question it seems to work for me,if you look at the pic that has my belly in it then look at the last pics you can see a tremendous filling in of the canopy with flowers only and thats what happens,I strip them down before the flip and they shoot up flower stalks not more leaves except whats on the cola,Peace.

J

jinxjj

I was on the fence between SCROG'ing only 8 plants, or doing SOG with waaaay more. Since i ended up getting a ton of clones for free i went with SOG.

They are in 6" square pots, 7 per row ( i could fit 8 but then they would REALLY be jammed as the containers would be touching the walls. When i do prune them, do i want to trim ALL the lower stuff (like the shoots i would take for clones), just the fan leaves, etc.?

Is this a good place to trim below? (see pic)

Cut line
sixstring

sixstring

I was on the fence between SCROG'ing only 8 plants, or doing SOG with waaaay more. Since i ended up getting a ton of clones for free i went with SOG.

They are in 6" square pots, 7 per row ( i could fit 8 but then they would REALLY be jammed as the containers would be touching the walls. When i do prune them, do i want to trim ALL the lower stuff (like the shoots i would take for clones), just the fan leaves, etc.?

Is this a good place to trim below? (see pic)
yeah man,that line you drew in the pic is a good place to prune imo.but i would also be selective until you find out how many are females because if you get a bunch you can just respace these out and they will rock as is.gl

J

jinxjj

Sounds good man, i didnt even think about that. I will hold off until they start showing sex, they have only been in bloom for a day or 2 (put some in last night, others the day before).

How long before they start showing sex, a week or two?

Appreciate all the help guys, i would not be doing so well on my first grow without all the help from the farm.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Showing sex is strain dependent but usually takes a week for them to start shootin pistils or ball sacks. They do have to be old enough. I usually don't start flowering until at least 4 weeks but I grow from seeds. Clone may be flowered immediately if mother plant is mature.

Shamus

Shamus

@oregonmellow

Dude, idk why your being so stubborn people are trying to help you not knock you. It's like when I used to run a grow store and dudes would come in Using miracle grow and get pissed that I'd try to sell them some random cheap line, as literally anything is better than miracle grow.

That is not an efficient way to grow weed and you could be getting so much more.. The nazis killed Jews for a long time too.. But they still stoped at some point

You don't have to get pissed. But hey don't take it from me I grow schwag

Last edited:
B

Bangarang

Kind of a waste if time but... Train your plant while in veg and don't take any leaves until three days before your flip. At this time (or before) go through and remove unwanted nodes and leave the fan leaves. If pinching your terminal to get lateral branch growth i like to remove all nodes near the stalk on the lower 2/3 of the pant. Thus creating the structure i want and allowing the plant to focus its energy on getting those side branches closer to the terminal. I do not remove all of these extra fan leaves until day 10-14 in flower. Look at @clockworx post https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/main-line-topping-best-method.60224/ . Should be a good tutorial.

O

oregonmellow

Shamus thank you,not trying to be stubborn and I guess in my head when my plants* canopy fills back in with just colas and not leaves it makes very efficient use of available space/light and maybe,wasn*t going to suggest, that this might be something another grower may want to try on a plant,controversy is not my intent,and I know fellow farmers suggest*s are well meaning and not anything more,happy growing,Peace.

O

oregonmellow

Most all that top will fill in completely as you can see I am not growing a bunch of leaves down at the bottom tho I could have,and I could have left some nodes below as well,I try to keep 8-12 branches/tops is all,just coming up on 3 weeks,again thanx to all who replied we are all good here,Peace.

O

oregonmellow

Shamus beautiful pic my brother,I*m going to toss this out to you,I don*t know how many plants you have going there but try stripping one branch/cola down completely below your screen,just leave what is through,just for shits,peace bud.

Top Bottom