H2O2 use in waterings? is this stuff ok?

• Thread starter jordisgarden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

For further clarification, my point is not that h202 doesn't work as advertised, merely the pH ranges we use are not where h2o2 works best and most importantly that there are better alternatives (addressing the original post) to achieve the goals, namely:

Sterilization of a nutrient solution

Oxygenation of a nutrient solution

Da white und fluffy roots

I think I can name multiple products for each goal that do the job better than H2O2.

It kicks ass for cleanup though. I have a bottle 0f 35% on the shelf.

That was my point, so not trying to get in a pissing contest or clutter up a thread mr. dizzle, and I appreciate the civility of your disagreement.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

What's Dutch Master's Zone all about?

It is a root zone conditioner. I got turned on to using it to foilar feed fighting the PM that has shown up in the Cali strains in Colo. I did not confirm with mfg, but was led to believe that there is chlorimide (kind of like a non-evaporating chlorine) in it and used a recipe of Zone and DM Penetrator and spot treated plants through foilar feeding.

Then I threw it in my res 'cause I had it on the shelf and was pleased with the results. Definitley fluffier, whiter and more roots. Works as advertised in my opinion. It is more a conditioner, but can be used to cure rootzone problems and save plants as well at higher rates.

I will say as well that I have not used H&G Exclurator, but have read great things about it, but a bt more pricy I think. Point being, DM Zone works as advertised, but always do some reading to see others thoughts on other rootzone conditioners, but yea, I'll buy more Zone at this point and I still run it in my res'.

M

MedicalINFO

Ohh Man, I will never give up my roots excel. I didn't know the zone was Dutch Masters version. I'm just doing a little research for my MPBs. Every week I fill my system with plain water and let it run for a few hours in between res exchange. I'm thinking of running a mild h202 solution for those couple of hours with plain water to ensure my root zone is clean

Roots excell is worth the money, this was the first H&G product I ever used and it worked so good that I switched everything over to H&G and havn't looked back

thanks

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

I'm thinking of running a mild h202 solution for those couple of hours with plain water to ensure my root zone is clean

I would advise against that. I know I am just a knucklehead, but here are quotes from two separate nutrient manufacturers (yea, they want you to buy their shit, but both sites have general growing info as well):

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE:
Commonly known as H2O2, is intended for cleaning equipment and treating well water only. Often, it is sold on the premises as "extra oxygen" for roots. H2O2 is a highly reactive molecule. It is an oxidizing agent that is unstable in solution and tends to rip away electrons from other sources such as living matter (including root cells, bacteria and your skin!!) and chelating agents as well as reacting with other organic matter. This is what makes it an effective "cleaning" agent. However, for this reason it is not recommended in root zones or nutrient solutions. Adding too much H2O2 can kill your plants by damaging the roots, and render 'Hydroponic Nutrient Solutions' less effective by breaking down chelating agents.

It is recommended that you follow label instructions on dilution rates and treat water beforehand with H2O2 and allow at least 24 - 36 hours for most of it to react and become water and oxygen. Then use this "sterilized" and oxygenated water for your nutrient solution. Remember to keep the nutrient temperatures between 60 - 70 F / 16 - 22 C to keep the oxygen dissolved in the water.

And:

‘Sterilizing agents’ must yield a ‘residual’ chemical when dissolved in the working nutrient solution so that the entire system is treated each time plants are watered. Historically, chlorine dioxide, sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide and monochloramine are used for this purpose. However, monochloramine has the advantage of possessing a long half-life, is gentle on roots, and is compatible with the majority of 'organic' mediums and growth promotants.

Note H2O2 not being identified as 'gentle on the roots' nor 'possessing a long half life'. Something else I did not mention in the Con list: H2O2 is relatively short lived in a solution.

D

Dubwobble

Yo CJ, I think you are a tiny bit mixed up. Pythium is a disease also known as root-rot, not a cure for it.

It is also not human engineered - it is naturally present in the air. The triggers for the disease are wet soil conditions and overly humid, stale air.

You must mean sumthin' else???

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Yo CJ, I think you are a tiny bit mixed up. Pythium is a disease also known as root-rot, not a cure for it.

Not mixed up - stoned. Typed alot of words and type pythium instead of physan.

You are correct, I was aware of that, know what Pythium is, kniow what Physan 20 is, and made a typo, but thanks for pointing it out.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

There ya go Dubwobble. We were both burning the midnight oil last night. This post was a couple hours before yours and in it I advised somebody to use Physan 20 to take care of some things.

Sweet on correcting my typo as I don't want to misinform people through fingers that are moving too fast on a keyboard.

M

MediMary

Im pretty much using it to clean, every once in a while I add some to the res, my last grow I didnt add it at all, and didnt change my res after wk 4

hey diz, wondering more about your experiences with h202?
Did you run it in the mpbs?

Top Bottom