Haircut

• Thread starter JustStartedD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Is this good for a haircut or should I do a lil more off the middle ?

Haircut
Reactions: Ina
rootexcess

rootexcess

You've not quite gone about in the way that I would. I feel like you removed a lot of random growth (both in the before and after). You have to think about your end goal, not just arbitrarily removing leaves/branches, as I feel you may have done. Goals would include light penetration issues (remove lower growth shoots that yield larf), air movement (remove some leaves, but not too much), branching that stretches out further looking for light but ultimately gets left behind under the canopy (some of this me and my colleagues refer to as "negative growth", growth that comes from the bottom of a branch that will always be in a constant state of trying to catch up). Also weigh your source vs. sink, what's generating energy and what's using energy, in the most basic form. So remove some lower growth that will also be using more energy than it creates, especially when, in reality, it may not yield much.
I used both photos as an example of some cuts I may have made, but without seeing the way it was before it's hard to say exactly which cuts I would have made initially. It really seems you took off a lot of valuable leaves that I would have left on.

Image2

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks stressful. That’s a lot of vegetation. You can also use some of the lower branching for clones. So don’t discard those unless you have no need for them.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Looks stressful. That’s a lot of vegetation. You can also use some of the lower branching for clones. So don’t discard those unless you have no need for them.
Maaaan...I have seen some guys that reduce their plants to 1-2 nodes, silly in my opinion, but these plants are definitely resilient. Really not much reason to do this, but some people do. Certainly not my style, that's for sure. I try not to remove more that 25% of the leaves/growth shoots at one time.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah if you’re gonna do that I’d prefer to split it up over several days so it doesn’t stress them out too much. I know they can handle a lot but I don’t like to test that line unless I have to.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Yeah if you’re gonna do that I’d prefer to split it up over several days so it doesn’t stress them out too much. I know they can handle a lot but I don’t like to test that line unless I have to.
Definitely, I hope no one takes this as [bad] guidance, I certainly don't encourage any grower to utilize that technique. Just merely that I've seen an entire greenhouse grown using that method, but ultimately it serves little benefit (and may yield detriment) from my experience.

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

You've not quite gone about in the way that I would. I feel like you removed a lot of random growth (both in the before and after). You have to think about your end goal, not just arbitrarily removing leaves/branches, as I feel you may have done. Goals would include light penetration issues (remove lower growth shoots that yield larf), air movement (remove some leaves, but not too much), branching that stretches out further looking for light but ultimately gets left behind under the canopy (some of this me and my colleagues refer to as "negative growth", growth that comes from the bottom of a branch that will always be in a constant state of trying to catch up). Also weigh your source vs. sink, what's generating energy and what's using energy, in the most basic form. So remove some lower growth that will also be using more energy than it creates, especially when, in reality, it may not yield much.
I used both photos as an example of some cuts I may have made, but without seeing the way it was before it's hard to say exactly which cuts I would have made initially. It really seems you took off a lot of valuable leaves that I would have left on.

View attachment 830911 View attachment 830912
I removed mainly the stuff on the inside of the plant. & I left plenty of new growth too. & most of the leaves that I removed were big fan leaves and a couple branches that were growing down & upside down. I know the plant will stretch again and create foliage again.

Reactions: Ina
JustStartedD

JustStartedD

I
did not think about doing it over the. Course of a few days. But I did take come clonies. I got 5 of em in total.

rootexcess

rootexcess

I removed mainly the stuff on the inside of the plant. & I left plenty of new growth too. & most of the leaves that I removed were big fan leaves and a couple branches that were growing down & upside down. I know the plant will stretch again and create foliage again.

Consider your goals, though. What were you trying to gain by removing all those fan leaves? I would focus on removing the lower growth that has much less value, and maintain more foliage where the highest photon concentration is from the lights. Remove sinks like non-valuable growth shoots instead of removing source leaves in a attempt to put more light on those lower growth shoots. Sure, more grows back, but that's not quite the point.

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Consider your goals, though. What were you trying to gain by removing all those fan leaves? I would focus on removing the lower growth that has much less value, and maintain more foliage where the highest photon concentration is from the lights. Remove sinks like non-valuable growth shoots instead of removing source leaves in a attempt to put more light on those lower growth shoots. Sure, more grows back, but that's not quite the point.
I started by removing things close to the base of the plant I took off all the tiny growth that wasn't getting any light and small fan leaves things like that. Then I worked my way up removing small branches and small growth that was growing inward or downward. And I left what I thought could be potential good growth which I think will make up for some of the defoliation

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah fan leaves mobilize their nutrients when the plant needs them. It’s the first sign of mobile nutrient deficiency and without them you’re flying blind.

If you want to remove bud sites that’s one thing. That will allow the growth energy to be used elsewhere.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Ya just set yourself back a couple weeks and u just lost all your "solar panels","stomach". A plant doeant produce fan leaves in flower right?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Imo this is more of an advanced technique you use once you have a grow system dialed in and you want to maximize yield. But that requires knowing the plants, grow medium and nutes inside and out.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Imo this is more of an advanced technique you use once you have a grow system dialed in and you want to maximize yield. But that requires knowing the plants, grow medium and nutes inside and out.

I think all growers benefit from cleaning their plants up, at least somewhat. I've seen new growers whose plants are so overgrown on the inside of the canopy that they get a bunch of dead leaves and wasted plant energy, increased potential for botrytis, etc. But I'm with you on the fact that a lot of newer growers seem to just start chopping and they don't execute any kind of strategy. Don't get me wrong, we all had our *first* plant(s) and we have learned a lot since then. If I could visit my first grow I would likely visit it with laughter lol.

Ya just set yourself back a couple weeks and u just lost all your "solar panels","stomach". A plant doeant produce fan leaves in flower right?

I do try to stay away from the solar panel analogy because not all leaves are equal. It gets a bit deep when you talk about source vs. sink, because leaves can be sinks as well. Older leaves may have diminished chloroplast concentrations and keeping them on the plant can actually expend more energy than it creates. Young, developing leaves at the top of the plant are typically seen as sinks because they are working to develop and aren't generating much energy, but when they get to a certain point of maturity that reverses. Also, amount of available light concentrations and canopy penetration plays a role....I'm going to talk myself into a rabbit hole if I keep going, but you get the point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom