Half of stalk rotted away - 70/30 coco/perlite

• Thread starter Misanthrope
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Has anyone had this issue before? I have no idea how long it had been rotting before I noticed since she looked healthy as could be. The first two pics are from when I noticed 4 weeks ago after I removed as much dead plant material as I could. After that I let the top of the coco dry out and would water her by bottom feeding. The last pic is 3 weeks later, about 50-60% of the stalk is gone but still looking vibrant. That's when I tried watering from the top like normal, a week later she was wilted and almost dead, unable to take up enough water to sustain life. I've never seen this before and would like to avoid it, so far no other plants have shown any similar signs.

Half of stalk rotted away   7030 cocoperlite
Half of stalk rotted away   7030 cocoperlite 2
Half of stalk rotted away   7030 cocoperlite 3
MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

Has anyone had this issue before? I have no idea how long it had been rotting before I noticed since she looked healthy as could be. The first two pics are from when I noticed 4 weeks ago after I removed as much dead plant material as I could. After that I let the top of the coco dry out and would water her by bottom feeding. The last pic is 3 weeks later, about 50-60% of the stalk is gone but still looking vibrant. That's when I tried watering from the top like normal, a week later she was wilted and almost dead, unable to take up enough water to sustain life. I've never seen this before and would like to avoid it, so far no other plants have shown any similar signs.
Could it be pests or something this seems pretty crazy
Or either you got some killer root rot
I have no idea what you did wrong but i know h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) will help alot with the rotting business
Good luck man🤟

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I haven't ruled out pests as the problem - i have a persistent cannabis aphid population kept in check with ladybugs. From what I understand, cannabis aphids are a separate species from root aphids. Either way, this was the only plant with this issue out of a couple dozen ranging from seedlings to full flower in coco and in earth.
My only theory is I made a wound by improperly pruning one of the bottom 2-3 nodes and some pathogen got in. Does anyone know what it looks like when a stalk gets an infection in a similar scenario?

josefrahl

josefrahl

Did the plant ever fall over? I have had some that couldn't support themselves when they hit the 3rd node and they collapsed during lights out. That's what the main trunk looked like afterwards.

jdog22

jdog22

i havnt had that but, i have had a plant have a massive fat buldge where your damage is, it looked pregnant

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Did the plant ever fall over? I have had some that couldn't support themselves when they hit the 3rd node and they collapsed during lights out. That's what the main trunk looked like afterwards.
She never fell, never even got unsteady. I mean, I could've easily pushed it over on the damaged side if I tried but she as standing proud without any support.

here a list of disease that can affect cannabis crop, some look like yours:

look like a crown and root rot caused by bacteria i'd say ...
That's an awesome resource illustrating all the different things that can go wrong. It certainly looks like crown rot is the best match.

Top Bottom