HALP! CMH lights- what is going on?

• Thread starter Thetinman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Long thread, see that light was a bit bright for area. Decreasing reflection works for you, but, growers struggle to get light below the canopy, and thus our precious light is reflected and bounced around by whatever we can paint or line our walls with. You are having difficulty dealing with a new set-up, but advising others to blacken out their walls? Without a successful grow using this set-up? I don't know shit about CMH lights but perhaps just rising your lights would get the miraculous results painting your walls black did. Absorb as much of your light as you can?....c'mon, thats just throwing money away, like buying those light measuring gadgets.
You mean he was burning em up? It doesn't look that way at all?
Am i out of my mind? Weren't we discussing how nothing would grow in the grow space?
I

Thetinman

Thetinman

Damn...you running into walls bro. My thread. Going through REFLECTION problems with 315cmh lights. Tried Orca, tried paper, tried black, all produced serious wilting.
Goes all the way back to the pressed bubblewrap silver bumps I was sure was eating things alive withing plant. Including leaves.
Now with non shiny side of aluminum foil. See pics...
Just trying to take stress completely out of plants all of em seedlings, midsize and big girls.
Trying desperately to find sweet spot, proving to be a total BEEOTCH!
Caught up now, shit you been busy anyway....

Thetinman

Thetinman

Good morning!
Blacked out open floors last night, stopped the problems (double reflection). Looking good now......

IMG 20210325 101103
IMG 20210325 101115
IMG 20210325 101121
IMG 20210325 101125
IMG 20210325 101133
IMG 20210325 101144
IMG 20210325 101151
Thetinman

Thetinman

Now for the folks that made a difference, in helping find a solution.
Thank you Aqua Man, ryboburton and the many others who gave, with pics of their grows. So I suggest, like Aqua Man, is using the cheap Home Depot insulation board, with even aluminum sheets that cover them (not with '3M' Lettering). Flat and even, no white reflection nor any others is recommended! Or pay for stainless steel plating like ryboburton! So enough said already.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Now for the folks that made a difference, in helping find a solution.
Thank you Aqua Man, ryboburton and the many others who gave, with pics of their grows. So I suggest, like Aqua Man, is using the cheap Home Depot insulation board, with even aluminum sheets that cover them (not with '3M' Lettering). Flat and even, no white reflection nor any others is recommended! Or pay for stainless steel plating like ryboburton! So enough said already.

how do you not ask yourself why no other grower anywhere feels they must do this?

Thetinman

Thetinman

Also,
For tent guys, a couple of sheets of that insulation to add to tent. Dont pay big bucks, because you are just paying for the tubing. Placing 4x8 sheets within. Cut panels on one side, like 3 probably, to open during growth. Cut decent side holes at very bottoms, tray at bottom inside, (try to get some air underneath the bottoms while they are sitting like a gap.) Pull air out top (probably a constant).
So that's what I am going to do for the time being, by hanging sideways, for a 4' panels all around my room.

TinMa

Thetinman

Thetinman

Ok,
Again, this is for first time growers. What I am saying is that reflection makes a world of difference with 315CMH lights ARE the best full time light all throughout grow....

Thetinman

Thetinman

But,
There are so many factors into getting SUCCESS at your FIRST grow. Here I believe, with a few bucks, this can be done and has been done by pros.
That needed to be exposed for the first time on any boards out there.
Bad name, why?
This might be the reason, reflection...

Thetinman

Thetinman

Now what is still so amazing, those leaves that I knew I was going to need to be cut off, 100% recovery! No other light is that FORGIVING. Nada.
Might be a simple action by having a "recovery mode."

They are now sitting at 6200lux, do have 1800ppm co2, humidity between 65-70rh, 40-45% humidity, 78-75°,...
Just now lowered ac to 79°.

IMG 20210325 112614
IMG 20210325 112622
IMG 20210325 112532
IMG 20210325 112554
IMG 20210325 112605
Thetinman

Thetinman

Also found out that YOU CAN get 4' spacing between lights, with the aluminum sheeting, that fills sides 9f plants with light. That was what I have been searching for and that is (presently) what I have....

Thetinman

Thetinman

how do you not ask yourself why no other grower anywhere feels they must do this?
Dude!
It's like this, my plants were dying. Something was wrong, they still only have water, some mycose and a root enhancer. Ppm near tapwater rate. Gave big girls nutes for first week, almost died, used Orca, wilted everything, blacked out all bad bubble reflection, then rehung small panels of Orca, wilted again, the tried white paper, wilted again, then finally came to dull side aluminum foil.
Chasing bad yellowing factors for 3 days now. Had to find some kind of reflection..... badly.
Then lastly blacked out very reflecting floor, raised lights and went to bed.
Back to normal, abit cold, raising temps now, cheating abit using co2.

But they are still technically "in recovery" from the wilting. Had to stop sending pics, too pissed and too desperate and too tired to do so.

But, they look good now. Too afraid to lower co2, presently.

You see I am thinking about buying 2 more lights to fill out room, eventually, to having 2 trays or, just dump trays and use floors. This, I may have no choice because my ceiling is SLANTED. I am using higher side now, beyond the height of what the other two can reach!
So you can see, eventually I have to dump my very nice table, by cutting it in half lengthwise! And tossing it away...like the other I built.
So, you can see, it's a commitment in choosing these lights, have to re examine everything I have already set up. But the light rigging cannot FIT! meh...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Dude!
It's like this, my plants were dying. Something was wrong, they still only have water, some mycose and a root enhancer. Ppm near tapwater rate. Gave big girls nutes for first week, almost died, used Orca, wilted everything, blacked out all bad bubble reflection, then rehung small panels of Orca, wilted again, the tried white paper, wilted again, then finally came to dull side aluminum foil.
Chasing bad yellowing factors for 3 days now. Had to find some kind of reflection..... badly.
Then lastly blacked out very reflecting floor, raised lights and went to bed.
Back to normal, abit cold, raising temps now, cheating abit using co2.

But they are still technically "in recovery" from the wilting. Had to stop sending pics, too pissed and too desperate and too tired to do so.

But, they look good now. Too afraid to lower co2, presently.

You see I am thinking about buying 2 more lights to fill out room, eventually, to having 2 trays or, just dump trays and use floors. This, I may have no choice because my ceiling is SLANTED. I am using higher side now, beyond the height of what the other two can reach!
So you can see, eventually I have to dump my very nice table, by cutting it in half lengthwise! And tossing it away...like the other I built.
So, you can see, it's a commitment in choosing these lights, have to re examine everything I have already set up. But the light rigging cannot FIT! meh...

no. It’s you stressing the plants. Sorry. You need to slow down.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

That wss the strangest chit I've ever heard of. CMH were just coming around whrn I left the game, and there was a giant marketing campaign for LED's.
Until proven wrong (seeing is believing) nothing produces flowers like HPS. I see a lot of pretty, frosty buds on the threads since I've come back around, but the yields haven't been what I'm used to seeing. And oh yeah, I produced some of the highest tested, prettiest colas I've ever seen.
The pics on the buds look great, Until I see the dried flowers fit on the top of mason jars.
I do remember they started making 630 W CMH (something in the 600 range)
Is it because of the cost of electricity? The heat? Or did the marketing do its job?
As for your, or any grow, I'd paint my room rainbow if it made my plants healthy. So apparently reflective material does something I have no explanation for?
I'm just glad you got things going again.
I will have to do my due diligence on the new technology, as I'll never say I know everything. Those who know everything, can't learn anything.
So, dispite my confusion with your situation, I learned I need to learn more about these new lights.
I gotta keep an open mind to all this.
What got me...The light plants can't use, they disregard (like green light). In my world, the more light the better (unless you're burning, or bleaching) So congrats on solving your issue. Hopefully in 10-12 weeks I'll see some nice bud, and a happy, successful grower!
Good luck

Thetinman

Thetinman

Thx tasty......
Michigan is NNOT So.Cal in the high desert. But really...
Do YOU use CMH? That's what most folks DO NOT HAVE. They think they know, but they have NOT tried or did and gave up, for many reasons, could this be a gaining, not waning factor to better success all the way around?
That's a good question. But it seems that I have all 'likes' and no 'dislikes' on this thread.
This just brings up the question, what the deal MAN!?
This IS unofficial, this is personally what I HAD to do...

Thetinman

Thetinman

Upcoming from TinMan;
Going to make other threads for these, this one is too long as it is...

Going from a 2 light to a 4 light setup.

Continuing Efforts on Reflection coverage. This will be the continuation of this thread.
Cheers...

TinMan

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That wss the strangest chit I've ever heard of. CMH were just coming around whrn I left the game, and there was a giant marketing campaign for LED's.
Until proven wrong (seeing is believing) nothing produces flowers like HPS. I see a lot of pretty, frosty buds on the threads since I've come back around, but the yields haven't been what I'm used to seeing. And oh yeah, I produced some of the highest tested, prettiest colas I've ever seen.
The pics on the buds look great, Until I see the dried flowers fit on the top of mason jars.
I do remember they started making 630 W CMH (something in the 600 range)
Is it because of the cost of electricity? The heat? Or did the marketing do its job?
As for your, or any grow, I'd paint my room rainbow if it made my plants healthy. So apparently reflective material does something I have no explanation for?
I'm just glad you got things going again.
I will have to do my due diligence on the new technology, as I'll never say I know everything. Those who know everything, can't learn anything.
So, dispite my confusion with your situation, I learned I need to learn more about these new lights.
I gotta keep an open mind to all this.
What got me...The light plants can't use, they disregard (like green light). In my world, the more light the better (unless you're burning, or bleaching) So congrats on solving your issue. Hopefully in 10-12 weeks I'll see some nice bud, and a happy, successful grower!
Good luck
Hmmm you haven't seen LED outperform HPS? just look at @sshz last 2 grows after switch to LED from hps

Thetinman

Thetinman

Dude, I just got here.
The thing is this,I am a PTSD survivor, Class I rating from the V.A. Now for those doubters, I was in the USAF, overseas there is a tini base there, I happened to be somewhere I should not have been. But had been cleared to do so.
I was caught in an unusual situation. The veit cong called it "whispering death" by the telltale shrill of like a deer whistle that projects about a mile ahead of aircraft, which I heard distinctly.
Aircraft was practicing maneuvers, which travels at high speed at low heights. Passed directly over me being outside, at 800mph at approx 80' high. Classified at the time...
That craft was the F111.

sshz

sshz

From a 30+ year grower under HPS, I will again say LED's have blown my yield numbers out of the water. In a 4 X 8 space I was averaging around 65-66 oz under 2 HPS- with my highest yield around 78 oz. a few times. Under 2 LED's, I'm now averaging almost 105 oz a crop and about to go over 100 oz in my current crop.

The even light spread of a 43 inch X 44 inch fixture, works wonders when you are able to maintain an even and thick canopy.

Image 2007356

Thetinman

Thetinman

Over the years it has taken its toll on my life. I left the east coast 7 years ago and came to Cali, my birthplace.
But, have never had the money to get serious. Could have done smaller grows, but that's not what I wanted to do. Slowly with little money, I have gotten it to the point where I could buy all the expensive stuff, as soon as my PTSD monies went through.
They did, several months ago. Purchased what was needed to finish off.
Bought over 100 seeds, what you see, is the last of those seeds! I could NOT get anything to grow past a certain point and they kept a yellowing till they were dead. Used 400 watt HPS with parabolic hoods. Never had problems before.....
Changed to 1 single CMH then I saw the green I have been chasing for 15 YEARS!
But it has cost me plenty, including my marriage.....

Top Bottom