Hanging/Drying Question

• Thread starter BostonFisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BostonFisher

I have a question I was hoping I could get some advice on. I have two plants growing indoors that are about ready to harvest. White Widow and Skunk #1. We are leaving Friday on vacation and will be gone 10 days. I plan to cut my plants on Friday right before I leave. Usually I trim the big leaves then hang for about a week and when the small branches "snap" I finish the trim and start curing in mason jars. My concern is that I won't be able to touch them for about 10 days due to our vacation. Plan to keep all leaves on the plants to slow the drying time.

Should I be concerned is or is 10 days manageable for a hang? Any ideas for slowing the curing process besides not trimming at all before hanging? I appreciate any advice!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have a question I was hoping I could get some advice on. I have two plants growing indoors that are about ready to harvest. White Widow and Skunk #1. We are leaving Friday on vacation and will be gone 10 days. I plan to cut my plants on Friday right before I leave. Usually I trim the big leaves then hang for about a week and when the small branches "snap" I finish the trim and start curing in mason jars. My concern is that I won't be able to touch them for about 10 days due to our vacation. Plan to keep all leaves on the plants to slow the drying time.

Should I be concerned is or is 10 days manageable for a hang? Any ideas for slowing the curing process besides not trimming at all before hanging? I appreciate any advice!

Hang the plant whole and with all leaves intact? I would worry about mold but good airflow and environment should avoid that.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I tried drying in the refrigerator this year and was surprisingly happy with the way it dried everything. I just put the branches on a sheet of newspaper and laid another sheet over the top, loosely. It took about 14 days to get to a smokabke stage, but still needed finished to the snap point. It didn't take any treatment, shuffling the buds, etc. Just let them dry slowly. If you have a frost free refrigerator, you won't have any mold issues as lon as you are on the main shelves and not in the crispers, which seem to keep higher humidity levels and can increase the chance of mold or mildew (although I haven't heard of it happening, why chance it?).
When they come out of the fridge, they seem pretty dry but soften up in about 20 minutes. This is only a drying method... you will still have to do your curing if desired.

sgvthc

sgvthc

I usually hang my stuff in a dedicated room with AC blasting as cold as possible 60-65, set dehu around 60% RH. Takes about 10 days for them to be just right.

B

BostonFisher

I usually hang my stuff in a dedicated room with AC blasting as cold as possible 60-65, set dehu around 60% RH. Takes about 10 days for them to be just right.
I don't have AC but it's in my basement (which is pretty dry for a basement). Maybe 10 days won't be too bad then if that's what it takes for you.

sgvthc

sgvthc

I don't have AC but it's in my basement (which is pretty dry for a basement). Maybe 10 days won't be too bad then if that's what it takes for you.

I purposely try to dry slowly with dehu at 60 and blast the AC to prevent mold. If you're putting it in a dry basement with no AC, you'll be doing the opposite of what I'm doing, and they'll dry quickly.

Migrower

Migrower

Water the plants the night before you chop. This will hydrate them then chop and hang whole plant with great airflow just make sure it is not blowing on the plants. Lights off no hotter than 75 and I think you’ll be fine. I let mine go seven days and most fan leaves where taken off. It turned out fine. A water before chop and a few extra days should be ok

B

BostonFisher

Thank you everyone for the tips. I didn't trim them at all and 10 days later they still weren't ready to trim and jar up. I guess I was worried about nothing. Kept the fan near them but not blowing directly like suggested. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to reply to my post.

Bisquick

Bisquick

So. Hey is to keep temp and humidity good. 10 days is a long time. How’d your weather? Humid/dry? I think you’d need to keep humidity around 60-65% if you want to go 10 days. I’ve neber been able to have herb go that long hanging and not dry out too much. I currently use a tent. Have a humidifier and fan (air flow is important). I put the humidifier on a timer. Let it run for 10-15 minutes every few hours.

Migrower

Migrower

So. Hey is to keep temp and humidity good. 10 days is a long time. How’d your weather? Humid/dry? I think you’d need to keep humidity around 60-65% if you want to go 10 days. I’ve neber been able to have herb go that long hanging and not dry out too much. I currently use a tent. Have a humidifier and fan (air flow is important). I put the humidifier on a timer. Let it run for 10-15 minutes every few hours.
I agree. They should have been ready to go at ten in non optimal conditions. That’s why you had them hanging 10 days cuz you couldn’t be there so you used non optimal conditions to stall or prolong the dry. Even in 70-75% RH no leaves trimmed off and little air movement 10 days should have done the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom