Hanging up the tent/ I am not economically viable

• Thread starter Cort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

After the California SC ruling and the subsequent shutting down of most of the dispensaries, I have come to the hard decision that its no longer economically viable for me to have a crop going semi full time. My "business" model was simple. Grow, because its fun and your family needs the meds cheap/free . Provide the extra to the shops and hope to cover costs, labor not included.

That does not fly today. There are few local options for legally relieving myself of extra meds without hassle. I dont want to set up a patient network of people "donating" for an 8th and I dont want to shop around in L.A. in hopes of finding some shop willing to pay COD.

I will make a run or 2 at most a year to supply my clan with slightly stale/very well cured meds and take what donations they have available and eat the difference. I am undecided whether I will take cuts to keep my genetics as houseplants in soil, or rock some seeds when the time comes to start fresh.

I never achieved grow master status:confused: ;) but will stick around for the community here at the farm. Albeit less active. Ill leave you with a couple nugs of the snocap I just chopped.
Hanging up the tent i am not economically viable
Hanging up the tent i am not economically viable 2

I would be interested to see what I could do with the snocap if I didnt neglect it so badly. This grew itself, despite some harsh abuse.

Cheers Yall.

Cort

Cort

Not at all insensitive. My fam is almost as poor as I am. brother an I are last ones working, rest are all on disability. Pretty pinched fixed incomes. I had fun providing them with free meds for a while though.

On the bright side, I get to set the gym back up in the extra room instead of the dining room. Dinner at the kitchen table once again.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

just sell that shit on the streets, good good herb still gets top dollar around there.

#fuckpayingtaxes
#damnthemansavetheempire

sky high

sky high

With this State allowing HUGE grows to go unchecked and pounds to flood the streets....the market pretty much went to fuck here for me as well. I'm getting too old/have too many other assets to meet new peeps and sling bags like in the past....especially at less than 1/2 of the take of "the old days" before it all got so safe and easy to pull off/move out that everyone decided to jump on the bandwagon.

just glad I was able to do what I did when I did/before the bottom fell out. NOT slowing down.... just makin the switch in my head that the $400 a month for electricity is still far cheaper than what I'd be spending if I had to buy all of the weed/hash I currently smoke and the psychiatric bill I'd have if my shrink didn't take bags in trade. Now...rather than trying to stay ahead and running things short to meet the monthly needs of someone else......I have a stash that will just knock yer socks off. LOL. :D

hopin the DEA will step in and do a RESET of this market....but until then...we'z just growin and givin....and waitin for the next change....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry to read this, Cort, I knew it was gonna happen to many growers. Hell, my son just took something like $700/lb because he desperately needed the cash.

But, you're also keeping focused, as we all should. The whole reason we started growing was to keep ourselves in good weed, right?

Cort

Cort

I'm getting too old/have too many other assets to meet new peeps and sling bags like in the past....especially at less than 1/2 of the take of "the old days".
Sums up my predicament pretty much perfectly.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

send it to a non med state people pay top dollar for shit, really really bad pot goin for like 350 a z

Cort

Cort

Sorry to read this, Cort, I knew it was gonna happen to many growers. Hell, my son just took something like $700/lb because he desperately needed the cash.

But, you're also keeping focused, as we all should. The whole reason we started growing was to keep ourselves in good weed, right?
at a price a bit more compassionate than 60/8th :confused:

putembk

putembk

Sadly the same is happening to me. Everything was going like a fire sale but recently stuff is starting to sit around. Contemplating what to do, don't want to cut back like growing to much as well as giving me something to do during the winter months. But the hard truth is things are starting to back up and I am running out of jars. Where did everybody go.....?

Cort

Cort

Sadly the same is happening to me. Everything was going like a fire sale but recently stuff is starting to sit around. Contemplating what to do, don't want to cut back like growing to much as well as giving me something to do during the winter months. But the hard truth is things are starting to back up and I am running out of jars. Where did everybody go.....?
I found it a relaxing hobby, while it lasted. Ill probably spend some time enjoying my new freedom of not being tied to tending the garden. That means more weekend trips, more visitors to my house, more bbq's and dinners now that my guest bath isnt loaded with buckets, nutes, RO filter, etc.

A reduced 1-2 crops a year in the cooler months when the house needs heat and the girls dont need AC should get me by.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
With outdoor quality on the rise and power costs going up, up, up this was to be expected. Not like you could grow more quantity to make up for the lower prices of product like you could with outdoor. As for selling to non-med states you need connections and the middle men around don`t pay well ,plus with indoor you just don`t have enough product to attract them anyway. I do think the outdoor/greenhouse is the wave of the future as far as commercial growing goes. When it all goes legal I should have MC Seeds up and running and I might start growing medical shrooms.

ttystikk

ttystikk

With outdoor quality on the rise and power costs going up, up, up this was to be expected. Not like you could grow more quantity to make up for the lower prices of product like you could with outdoor. As for selling to non-med states you need connections and the middle men around don`t pay well ,plus with indoor you just don`t have enough product to attract them anyway. I do think the outdoor/greenhouse is the wave of the future as far as commercial growing goes. When it all goes legal I should have MC Seeds up and running and I might start growing medical shrooms.

I think you're on the money, because you're following the cost curve down. Those who can best minimize their costs whole producing both quality and quantity consistently will be the winners, and light depo greenhouses are the wave of the near future.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Indeed, and many sheriff's departments are focusing on light dep grows. :/

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Where do you think the majority of those 'meds' are going? They're not staying in-state, my friend.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

The shop I'm currently at is at an all time low... our monthly income is at 50% of what it was last year. To much competition, busting our balls online just to keep the lights on... I hope this all turns around soon

putembk

putembk

And I started growing because it had gotten completely unaffordable. Now, I can't smoke anyone else's weed without wondering, "How was this grown?"
That is exactly what I tell my friends when they start complaining about cost. Round up and raid are my best friends. Love planting an image of raid used on plants to kill bugs. Imagine sucking some of that stuff into your lungs. Don't know what anybody is really bitching at, cost is down considerably over 3 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom