hanna ph callibration sollution? which one?

• Thread starter bluegrass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bluegrass

I just purchased a used hanna hi9813 combo meter. Got a great fucking deal on it too! came with an brand new extra probe and everything! As many of you know there are several different ph callibration solutions that are available. I am going to be growing hydroponically so things will be slightly on the acidic side, which solution would you use for ph? the 4.1 or the 7.1ph?

deacon1503

deacon1503

I thought u first used the 7, then the 4? Or is it just the 7? For hannas at least?

audius

audius

i use the martinii ph 55 ,,,i normally just use the 7.0,but i can use both if i have to get right on the natts ass but,,just not needed.:evilgrin0040: Glad to hear ya got such a sweet deal on that.,so what hybird do you plan on growing? :friday:

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Use both. Most PH meters get better results By starting off with 4.0 PH setting and then the 7.0 and get better results. It lets you "fine tune" your meter. It gets it that much more accurate.
Did the directions not come with it? If it has a PPM meter you should be asking also which PPM calibration solution you should be using. There are 2 different kinds that I know of. one is around 1378 and the other is I think 1500 ppm's. Thos you are supposed to know which one to use or you will get off results.

sky high

sky high

Yup....use both. I don't think it matters what order. the pen will detect the pH of the solution, will calibrate, and then will ask for the other solution to be used. (4.0 or 7.01)
If you only have one it is still calibrated...just not a "2-point calibration'.

the Hanna combo uses 1413 solution for the EC/ppm calc. It won't recognize the 1500 stuff.

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's a model #HI98130 multi-meter, and it measures EC/TDS (TDS & ppms are a conversion of EC, which the pen most likely measures as MicroSeimens, indicated by the funky "m" that looks almost like a "u" with an "s"), and you need to calibrate *both* pH and EC using the proper calibration solutions.
Use both. Most PH meters get better results By starting off with 4.0 PH setting and then the 7.0 and get better results. It lets you "fine tune" your meter. It gets it that much more accurate.
Agreed that both solutions, 7.01 & 4.01, should be used for proper calibration, but they're not used in that order. It's the 7pH first, then the 4.
Did the directions not come with it? If it has a PPM meter you should be asking also which PPM calibration solution you should be using. There are 2 different kinds that I know of. one is around 1378 and the other is I think 1500 ppm's. Thos you are supposed to know which one to use or you will get off results.

Bluelab's site has a fantastic primer page on the subject, explains what the conversion factors are and why they are what they are, etc.
http://www.getbluelab.com/Support/Understanding+what+ppm+scale+to+use.html
CF and EC are measures of electrically charged nutrient ions in a solution. Pure water will not conduct electricity. Water usually conducts electricity because it is full of impurities, in our case, electrically charged nutrient ions.

ppm measures parts per million. ppm is known as dimensionless quantities; that is, they are pure numbers with no associated units of measurement. A mass concentration of 2mg/kg - 2 parts per million - 2ppm - 2 x 10-6.

There are many different scales used for different industries around the world and for many different reasons! Did you even know there are more than two scales? The most widely used scales in Hydroponics are the 500 scale, 650 scale and the 700 scale.

What's the difference? The ppm 500 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS - total dissolved solids. The ppm 700 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution.

Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter. They are present on Bluelab products as a conversion guide only. The conversion is as follows;

2.4EC x 500 = 1200ppm (500 scale) or 1200ppm/500 = 2.4EC
2.4EC x 700 = 1680ppm (700 scale) or 1680ppm/700 = 2.4EC

If you are reading from a book that says you should grow your crop at 1100ppm - how do you know which scale the writer is referring to? Is the scale on your ppm meter right for the job? If the book was written in the USA, it could be the 650 or 500 scale. If the book is written in the UK, it could be the 700 scale. If it was written in Australia, well it could be any of the three!

If you must grow using ppm, you will need to know the following;

• What ppm scale is the book referring to?
  • What ppm scale is your meter using?
  • Which standard or calibration solution should you use for your meter?
  • What ppm scale is the nutrient formula referring to?
I have a Hanna tri-meter that also converts to ppms (it's just another calculation, and ppm's are easier in my head), and it also allows me to select which conversion factor I would like to use. I use the 1413 calibration solution to calibrate ppm's, and I because I use my meter daily I calibrate no less often than bi-weekly.

J

Jalisco Kid

Buy your solutions from a lab supply place. I pay 8.50/qt. They refer to it as buffer solutions. JK

B

bluegrass

Hey thanks JK, I was just going to ask you guys if its absolutely necessary to use the hanna solutions? I can find the ppm solution a hell of a lot cheaper but its not the hanna brand!

sky high

sky high

No..you just need to get the right solutions for the pen....doesn't matter which brand.

s h

Top Bottom