Hard or soft water

• Thread starter sam_spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sam_spice

I was just about to order some 'Growth Technology Ionic Soil Bloom' and was asked if it will be used with hard or soft water, I planned on just using very cheap bottled water...

So would that be hard or soft I want to go for?
And is bottled water good for growing?

Thanks!

F

FastForward

If you have an EC meter, just stick it in your tapwater. If it's 0.6 or above it's considered hard, if it's less than 0.3 it's considered soft (or thereabouts).

If you don't have an EC meter, write to your water supplier (or check their website) for an analysis (your local growshop, if it's very local, may well be able to tell you your water quality)

EDIT: Just seen you're in London - odds on you've got hard water.... I've got hard water, my mates in the north and south have hard....check Thames Water or whoever you gets yours from

Also, bottled water will probably be soft water....but not always....

L

LOCO__MOCO

What is the impact of hard and soft water... when using it to water the plants? Do you have to use one or another... or be able to use both?

D

Down South Sage

Typically if you have a deep well or country water that is primarily rain water is it usually hard or soft?

D

Down South Sage

I do know this,i check my PH often on my water right outta the tap and mine ranges from 5.2 to 6.4 str8 outta the faucet.

A

Arti.chokes

London water

I was just about to order some 'Growth Technology Ionic Soil Bloom' and was asked if it will be used with hard or soft water, I planned on just using very cheap bottled water...

So would that be hard or soft I want to go for?
And is bottled water good for growing?

Thanks!
Sam, i am in London and my water from the tap is hard with a PH of 7.8, i use a water filter from Argos (cost around £8.00) and a pack of 3 spare filters (£7.00) these last 1 month each, longer the less you use, just change when you see the PH is starting to rise, if i used it right from the tap i would need a ton of PH down, with the filter the PH comes down to 6.2 and it also takes a load of shit Thames Water put in, after filtering the water is as good as any bottled water, and for £15 you will have at least 4 months worth, the filter does 3 lts at a time, takes about 1 minute to go through so even if you needed gallons daily it wont take but 5 min's out of your day to prepare, i seriously recommend it for all your drinking/plant use, it also makes tea/coffee without the London scum on top of your cuppa and that alone is worth the few quid, i hope this helps, heres the one i speak of Arti

hubcap

hubcap

rain is the best to use...
-its free and usually available most of the year
-its easily stored, and kept.
-it usually has a slight acidic pH (where i am anyways..)

ive used 'hard' tap with success.

the key to using city water is letting the chlorine, that all water treatment plants use, evaporate out.

fill a rez up with tap and leave the lid off for at least 24 hrs.

we used ro filters and such in the past, and really couldnt justify the costs.

but tap differs greatly across the us, let alone the world.

-hubcap-

R

RansacktheElder

Damn Ripz! You came prepared bro! Nice dig with the chart!!

D

Darth Bud

Well mines 5.5 straight out of the tap, and straight in my tank :-)
We have the best water in the uk

Top Bottom