Hard/solid corners for hvac?

• Thread starter TryingToGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Wondering if anyone knows if having hard corners would help my airflow much.

start - intake 4” vivosun connect to flex
C67DF29B-7EB5-4CE6-AD5A-C5C73496DCCD.jpeg

the flex makes a 90 going into the fan, connected to muffler then another flex 90 downwards to blow on the plants.
6B2AA6DD-DADC-4D2C-88B5-9CD21789C2C5.jpeg
Hardsolid corners for hvac 3

will ‘hard’ 90s help the airflow much? I have a couple other similar spots also so I think I may be losing a bit of airflow overall compared to not having solid corners.

these are the ones I was thinking of using

Last edited:
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Wondering if anyone knows if having hard corners would help my airflow much.

start - intake 4” vivosun connect to flex
View attachment 1223742

the flex makes a 90 going into the fan, connected to muffler then another flex 90 downwards to blow on the plants.
View attachment 1223743View attachment 1223759
will ‘hard’ 90s help the airflow much? I have a couple other similar spots also so I think I may be losing a bit of airflow overall compared to not having solid corners.

these are the ones I was thinking of using

I would suggest doing a passive intake, so run carbon filter inside tent connected to the exhaust fan to the hose leaving the tent. Then open one or more of flaps on tent. This removes the muffler which is not needed and only restricting your air flow. Also the less hose you have the better. You want to create slightly negative pressure in the tent and air coming in will be forced through the plants.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I've designed some HVAC ducting in the past. Those elbows will help, but you'll be hard-pressed to measure a difference. In other words, don't bother.

I would not design a system like yours, blowing in from the top. You want to pull the heat out of the top of the tent, and let cool air in the bottom. You want a flow up through the plant canopy to pull humidity out, especially during flower.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I've designed some HVAC ducting in the past. Those elbows will help, but you'll be hard-pressed to measure a difference. In other words, don't bother.

I would not design a system like yours, blowing in from the top. You want to pull the heat out of the top of the tent, and let cool air in the bottom. You want a flow up through the plant canopy to pull humidity out, especially during flower.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will just try and make the corners as clean as I can with flex.

I would suggest doing a passive intake, so run carbon filter inside tent connected to the exhaust fan to the hose leaving the tent. Then open one or more of flaps on tent. This removes the muffler which is not needed and only restricting your air flow. Also the less hose you have the better. You want to create slightly negative pressure in the tent and air coming in will be forced through the plants.

hi and thanks for the ideas, I have considered many.

here is an outside photo, the photo earlier is from left side of this (intake), 1 more foot to the left is my closet. Pipe in front of window is going to exit out of the window.
3964151C 7350 4521 92C7 36616114E826

4” vivosun carbon filter on top of the tent comes in to fan then muffler and blows fresh filtered air on plants, also maybe any smells that escape the tent, ideally it would be pulling cold air from lower but that is not really an option. There rear lower vents on the tent are open slightly with furnace filters on them

923ED3D7 7A80 449C BA0B D936B66B3B9B

next is ac infinity filter into fan into 4x4 tent, exiting out of another carbon filter in the 4x4.
B891713A 13FF 4E19 BBF1 AECFC8AFAC4C

next in the 4x4 is canna filter to ipower fan into muffler and out the window (window in first pic). Waiting on last fan, should be here tomorrow.

Reason for mufflers is because 3 fans in a bedroom, I wonder if inslutated ducting would be a better option but it's to late now, for me.

Last edited:
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Another question I had was if an ac infinity inline fan will be okay with a carbon filter on both sides of it? The reason for me using a filter on each side is the filters act as a muffler and I have a spare filter I can use. Also for smell but necessary for noise.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
What if I reversed the flow and did passive intake from the window? That would always be the coldest air I can get but I can keep a light on plants to warm it up and that won’t even be something to think about for 9 months anyways.

it would be a ~5’ run of pipe front the window into the 4x4, with no fans to assist the flow, then fan from 4x4 into the 4x8’ with 1 or 2 fans then exhaust with 1 or 2 fans.

the spot by the window is always in the shade (north side of house).

another thing to keep in mind is during the summer I will only be using the tent for ~light dep. mostly, I think is the right term. Right now the plants get about ~7 hours direct sun, then into the tent for 5 hours light, 12 hours dark and back outside.

then only problem then is maybe need to reverse the tents, might have males in 4x4.

everything is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Quite the system there. Have you tried a regular AC-Infinity muffler? I've got one, and it fits right over the intake of the fan. It definitely helps. I had it before I got the AC-Infinity, and it REALLY helped with that fan, which had no speed control. Probably easy to make as a DIY - big tube with some foam lining it. Cheaper than a filter.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Quite the system there. Have you tried a regular AC-Infinity muffler? I've got one, and it fits right over the intake of the fan. It definitely helps. I had it before I got the AC-Infinity, and it REALLY helped with that fan, which had no speed control. Probably easy to make as a DIY - big tube with some foam lining it. Cheaper than a filter.
I don’t think I have tried their brand for the muffler, can’t recall which brand/s I have but they work great at lowering noise.

Top Bottom