Hard time letting seedlings dry out.

• Thread starter phillyguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

phillyguy

My seedlings seem like they are over watered. I picked up the cup when it's wet and feel it's weight. I pick it up when I think it's dry and it weighs nothing. The soil looks and seems dried out. So I water them. They seem to be stopped in the growing depth. The stems are red on some. I think to much light to young. How do you guage dryness? Maybe still to much light? My 450 watt light is on 2.

Hard time letting seedlings dry out
Bilber

Bilber

Hey philly....I just also noticed that those are waxed paper cups you're using.....I've never had luck with those cups....not sure why.....you seem to be doing alright with them....

K

Kamisama

How old are they?
Have you holes at bottom of your cups?
If your medium is soil, peat, u dont need to water them so often. Especially with flush, cause a lot of nutes will get out. Some of your leaves are near yellow.

Light doesnt seem strong at all. That one seedling is stretching a lot, thats a sigh of weak ppfd.

Measure EC, PH of flush, that should tell u all for now.

Keep in mind, young plants also are building roots and if u pick such big cups, it ll show slower grow of leaves at the beginning. If u d use plugs or 2/3 smaller cups or even smaller, plant will grow faster...

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
they look like they need food
No way, every seed that’s popped has more than enough nutrients in it to keep every seedling happy until it’s fully in veg. So at end of week two, or three, then apply nutrients.
Soil look hot. And maybe a bit too wet, not sure on that tho.

JoeCroupier

JoeCroupier

No way, every seed that’s popped has more than enough nutrients in it to keep every seedling happy until it’s fully in veg. So at end of week two, or three, then apply nutrients.
yes way, the cotyledons leaves have done their job buddy, all the baby food gone so they definitely need food now.

Look at his pics, they've gone white meaning no food left in them.

Best conditions for seedlings scaled

JoeCroupier

JoeCroupier

Look, gone yellow to white meaning the foods run out

Imageedit 302 4891411746

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Look, gone yellow to white meaning the foods run out

View attachment 2152166
Well, I’m not gonna argue homie. You are wrong.

There are a few things that can cause it. But it’s not a nutrient issue caused from a lack of feeding. It’s the light or hot soil. if you are feeding seedlings, well that is just a waste man.
I’m not a cat with an ego, but I will say, I know what I’m talking about. Seriously. Read up on cannabis seeds and the natural ways they are meant to ensure living in not so hospitable environments. It’s important.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Caps right!
Your light needs to be at least 30 inches above the seedlings. Putting them off centre in a corner will also help. They are way light stressed. Also you don't need to feed young seedlings like these. Not until the beginning of week 4 or have a nice second set of leaves.

Watering?
Just give them enough to keep them alive. Do not soak them.
Water around the outside of the cup not in close to the plant. Let them put out roots to find it.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Caps right!
Your light needs to be at least 30 inches above the seedlings. Putting them off centre in a corner will also help. They are way light stressed. Also you don't need to feed young seedlings like these. Not until the beginning of week 4 or have a nice second set of leaves.

Watering?
Just give them enough to keep them alive. Do not soak them.
Water around the outside of the cup not in close to the plant. Let them put out roots to find it.
👊🏻🤡
Top of the morning imzz!
I hope you are well man.

JoeCroupier

JoeCroupier

wow, i must be wrong then, the cotyledons leaves haven't gone white with no food left :/

What fool i am :/ i really need to do some reading, it's important.

Thxs for helping me understand how it works @Captspaulding

Ur the man

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Hey Cap. I'm beginning to enjoy retirement.
Health wise. Got the big C on the run for now so life is good.
Man, super glad that you are on the mend.
That specter looms large every damned day that goes by.
Well, congratulations. That’s no small feat.
All the health and wealth for you good sir.
Seriously man. That’s fn great. 👊🏻🤡

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
wow, i must be wrong then, the cotyledons leaves haven't gone white with no food left :/

Ur the man
Np good sir. Onward and upward!
Yeah im

Ur the man
ima clown, but I’ll take it. 🤣👊🏻Welcome homie.
Open mindedness in this game, it’s a big one man, but once we ALL get over that hurdle.
This place is a font of knowledge with some great folks.
Thx for the nice words 👊🏻🤡

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hey Joe.
Your going to find 10 different answers for every question you pose. Just keep what we are saying as a base line.
Indoors, I hydro and tend to feed a little early myself so if the plant comes looking, something is available. But I can't really tell you to feed at the end of week 2 just in case.

Something like that could start WW3 in here. Your problem is not a light feed a week early. In the long run, that really makes no difference.

Your problem is that your light is way more powerful than you think it is and your stressing your plants. Keep the light at 30 inches and consider Cap's advice on the matter solid.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

I'm no botanist or arborist or such, but seedlings in soil don't need fed. The soil has enough in it to take it into veg, and when you up pot from the solos into more fresh soil like ocean forest, that soil will carry it another 4 weeks ish without nutes.

Also seedlings that small prefer a simple fluorescent t5 bulb right on em

Top Bottom