Hard Water And Calmag

• Thread starter newbie1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
newbie1

newbie1

Hi, I am planning on doing a coco grow and have just read that if there is enough Calcium in your Water supply then you dont need calmag. Is this true ? When I checked out my local water board website it says my water contains CaCO3 mg/l water Hardness = 27 Ca mg/l = 11. Can any one please tell me if I need to use ? Dont want to be wasting money on something i dont need :) Many Thanks . :cool:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That is not entirely true. In that form (with the carbonate molecule attached, that's the CO3 bit and it's important to pay attention to no matter what else it's attached to) it is difficult to break the bond between the Ca and the CO3. I had a lot of problems trying to use my hard well water to grow in coir. After a whole lot of fucking around, I finally had to go the RO/DI route and add back Ca and Mg. Learned a LOT doing that, and one of the things I learned engendered a thread you may want to read with specific regard to 'cal-mag.'

All that said, if you're new, my own suggestion is to learn how to do this using soil first, then when you've got some chops, move on up to coir.

newbie1

newbie1

That is not entirely true. In that form (with the carbonate molecule attached, that's the CO3 bit and it's important to pay attention to no matter what else it's attached to) it is difficult to break the bond between the Ca and the CO3. I had a lot of problems trying to use my hard well water to grow in coir. After a whole lot of fucking around, I finally had to go the RO/DI route and add back Ca and Mg. Learned a LOT doing that, and one of the things I learned engendered a thread you may want to read with specific regard to 'cal-mag.'

All that said, if you're new, my own suggestion is to learn how to do this using soil first, then when you've got some chops, move on up to coir.
Thanks Sea maiden ill check those links out. By the way the water report i got said our water is moderately soft. :)

Top Bottom