Hardening off for outdoor greenhouse

• Thread starter L2Sativa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L2Sativa

L2Sativa

Hello,

I am currently starting my grow indoors, in a grow tent with lights, for my first outdoor grow and wanted to know if I will still need to harden off the flowers before transplanting outside for growing in a greenhouse? I live in New England, not sure that this detail matter, and was wondering if it is still recommended to do this due to the climate here? If it is suggested to harden them are there any suggestions on the best method?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It depends on multiple factors, but if the plants are big and mature enough to handle the outdoor weather, they probably don't need to be hardened off, especially if they will be in a greenhouse. Hardening off is used more for smaller plants. I would still monitor them daily just to be safe.

I would worry more about the light schedule, try to get the indoor light on a similar schedule to outdoor light. Goodluck!!

L2Sativa

L2Sativa

It depends on multiple factors, but if the plants are big and mature enough to handle the outdoor weather, they probably don't need to be hardened off, especially if they will be in a greenhouse. Hardening off is used more for smaller plants. I would still monitor them daily just to be safe.

I would worry more about the light schedule, try to get the indoor light on a similar schedule to outdoor light. Goodluck!!
Thank you. I was actually wondering about the lighting schedule as New England will have a be around 15/9 when I move them outside. I was contemplating whether I should mimic that lighting schedule indoors before transplanting them outdoors as I am at 18/6 right now.

Madbud

Madbud

Its too late to change lighting, they will still flower given a longer dark period. You can interrupt the dark cycle with a half hour of light or simply let them reveg. With a greenhouse you should be good til early october in the northeast, plenty of time.

ARCH111

ARCH111

Thank you. I was actually wondering about the lighting schedule as New England will have a be around 15/9 when I move them outside. I was contemplating whether I should mimic that lighting schedule indoors before transplanting them outdoors as I am at 18/6 right now.
I adjusted my light schedule off of 18/6 over a two week period before moving outside for good. I am in new york. No flower and reveg. needed.

L2Sativa

L2Sativa

I adjusted my light schedule off of 18/6 over a two week period before moving outside for good. I am in new york. No flower and reveg. needed.
This is good news to hear. Did you adjust by about an hour or so (small increments) to get it there?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You can safely lower the hours of light in increments over a period of time to match the outdoor light. I would not interrupt the dark cycle with light and/or make them reveg if the do start flowering. Since your plants are not flowering right now, you should be fine.

An example would be lowering the light by 15 minutes everyday until it matches the outdoors. So it would take about 12 days to get the light cycle from 18/6 to 15/9.

L2Sativa

L2Sativa

You can safely lower the hours of light in increments over a period of time to match the outdoor light. I would not interrupt the dark cycle with light and/or make them reveg if the do start flowering. Since your plants are not flowering right now, you should be fine.

An example would be lowering the light by 15 minutes everyday until it matches the outdoors. So it would take about 12 days to get the light cycle from 18/6 to 15/9.
Thank you very much for this advice. This has been extremely helpful for this newbie.

Top Bottom