Harvest Question.

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
j wizzle

j wizzle

There's plant fact and preference. I've noticed that very few actually understand plant fact and have set their ways based on preference of others.

Something tells me professional growers don't think along the lines of "it's your preference". I'm sure they use plant facts to increase efficiently and quality..

Idk.. man.. I like to do things that actually matter. Not my own personal complexities and bias based on the preferences of others.

That's why I ask alot of questions. Hoping to get someone who can provide a tid bit of factual info that I can then use..

look at the best guys on here, they all contradict each other. again, each top guy has their own reason for doing things. you wanted plant science, chlorophyll is turned into sugar, if you dry too fast, the chlorophyll will not have a chance to break down. again, its all what you are looking for. do a side by side, its not that difficult, then decide for yourself, that's what science is. do you have a hypothesis? test it out, your results may vary from another person's. there are too many variables for there to be one way...or even a best way. you need to do your way the best, simple as that

also, don't ever confuse science for fact... science is not facts, and that's a fact

the reason I do it this way, is 10 years ago, when I first started doing this, I'm sure I did so much research its not even funny. then Ive done it every which way since then, and now, I'm set on my ways, because its worked great and given me good results. so that's all I can really speak on, my own experiences. good luck whichever way you decide to go, hopefully you get some super stank!

Last edited:
Enforcer

Enforcer

I have done 2 wet trims and a dry trim. The facts of my reality are both wet trims smelled like I just mowed my lawn. The dry trim had a very faint grass smell, which has now disappeared after a week in the jars. I have weed from my first wet trim in a jar....that still smells like hay 4 months later.

My opinion, based on my observations, is that you can wet trim all you want. But if your environment isn't dialed in and you dry your herb too fast (2-3 days). You will never get rid of that cut grass smell. Dry trimming extends the drying time for those that don't have the ability to properly manage their environment. If you can wet trim and dry for 7 days or so, you shouldn't have an issue, and wet trimming is actually easier labor wise than dry trimming.

I will be dry trimming from here on out. My last harvest I dried for 10 days before trimming and going into the jars.

P

PassTheJ

Hmmm. I'm going to dry it in my tent. So if I wet trim, set my humidifier to 60% and turn my fan down to low, I should get optimal results. I can always leave the sugar leafs on to curl and better protect the bud. Idk bro. My head hurts. If i get one more "do what you like, theres mo right or wrong way" I'll off myself..

Enforcer

Enforcer

Hmmm. I'm going to dry it in my tent. So if I wet trim, set my humidifier to 60% and turn my fan down to low, I should get optimal results. I can always leave the sugar leafs on to curl and better protect the bud. Idk bro. My head hurts. If i get one more "do what you like, theres mo right or wrong way" I'll off myself..
I know brother. It's a bitch sometimes to make sense of it all. Hard facts are the longer the dry the better. Here's how I did it.

Temp in the low 60's.

Humidity 50-60%

Small fan pointed at the tent wall.

Tent exhaust fan on the speed controllers lowest setting, and constantly on. So it slowly exchanges the air in the tent.

Chopped by the branch and hung whole.

After 3 days I removed the fan leaves.

7 days later I trimmed and into the jars.

IMG 0248
chemistry

chemistry

I start to take large fan leaves off during the last 2 weeks to allow light to penetrate further into the canopy and as I chop branches, ill take off the larger fan leaves as well. I leave everything else on and hang dry for a week or so, then put into a big 28 gal tote box as I prepare to trim and that starts the curing process, then directly into jars if its dry enough, or into shoe boxes if it needs to dry out a bit more, and then into jars for a month or more

I hate a wet trim myself. i think it leaves a hay taste, too much chlorophyll is left in the buds

Hay taste is a bad cure and drying to long, and how does trimming the leaves wet leave more chlorphyll than drying uncut? Surely your releasing small amounts of chlorophyll after cutting, through evaproration?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Hay taste is a bad cure and drying to long, and how does trimming the leaves wet leave more chlorphyll than drying uncut? Surely your releasing small amounts of chlorophyll after cutting, through evaproration?
I have to disagree with you on the first part Chem. Longer drying allows the breakdown of chlorophyll to proceed. Basically once a certain level of moisture is reached in the bud, the breakdown process stops. The goal is to slowly approach this point, without encouraging mold. The more time you allow the process to continue, the more chlorophyll get broken down, and the more the hay smell/taste is reduced.

Wet trimming is not inherently bad. Nor does it "leave" chlorophyll in the bud. What it does do (if your environment isn't optimized) is reduce the drying time due to the removal of moist plant matter. The remaining plant matter takes less time to dry out. The reduced drying time does not allow the chlorophyll to breakdown completely, resulting in weed that smells like grass clippings.

At least that's the way I understand it. And my experience to date seems to support it.

chemistry

chemistry

I dry quite a few herbs too, I've always had a veg garden, so small gaps stuffed with herbs, they get dried and cured for use in Winter when fresh is unavailable, I use the same method for all the plant drying and curing, apart from the herbs dry on the washing line. lol

Enforcer

Enforcer

I dry quite a few herbs too, I've always had a veg garden, so small gaps stuffed with herbs, they get dried and cured for use in Winter when fresh is unavailable, I use the same method for all the plant drying and curing, apart from the herbs dry on the washing line. lol
I'm growing some culinary herbs this summer. I may need to pick your brain on your procedure. I would assume that the dry/cure for a plant you eat would be different than from one you smoke. Or do you do it the same way?

chemistry

chemistry

I'm growing some culinary herbs this summer. I may need to pick your brain on your procedure. I would assume that the dry/cure for a plant you eat would be different than from one you smoke. Or do you do it the same way?

I do them the same way, or should I say, I do my weed the herb way, learnt herbs when I was a kid, used to be some thing handed down to you from your elders, with herbs, you pick before they flower. you loose the taste and aroma if you mess with them to much, I still cure them after they dry like I do my weed, and they will last for around two years when kept jarred.

j wizzle

j wizzle

I was under the impression you aren't going to leave your sugar leaf on... I don't consider taking just the fan leaves off as wet trimming. I was under the impression you are going to completely trim the buds, take from stem, dry and cure.

why wouldn't you just do a couple of each and see for yourself which works better for you? you aren't going to save much labor either way, its only 2-4 pounds right? read all the books you want, nothing will matter more than personal experience. dry trim a couple zips and wet trim the rest. simple solution to your simple problem.

j wizzle

j wizzle

again, my "science" was off. ive just done it this way for so long and have had great results, I don't see a need to change.

the chlorophyll will not be left in the buds per say, but it will usually cause the plants to dry faster, which reduces taste greatly IME. And if its dried too fast, the cure doesn't matter, that taste will never come back no matter what you do.

j wizzle

j wizzle

these are from a run I did over 2 years ago, still have some of the bud and it still tastes great when you hit it. Some white bubba and white fire from OG Raskal

as you can see, I take big fans off for the most part, take each 18"-24" branch and hang individually. ill be honest, I don't see many people growing better buds than I do, certainly bigger grows and guys are hitting higher numbers due to their grow styles (beds v trees, etc), but not much better quality. I don't post many pics on here, but I think dry hand trimmed nugs look much better too. do you want the best quality or do you want a little less work? I'm assuming this is your first grow, so you aren't a cash cropper, what's the rush? what's the extra 2 hours trimming worth to you?

also, what do you guys do with your wet trim? freeze it? dry it out on racks? that must dry much faster than the buds do. do trichs get contaminated due to fresh material being cut? I know if I trim wet buds, my scissors have a green sludge and the scissor hash isn't as good as if I trim dry.

IMG 9651
IMG 9665
IMG 9638
IMG 9713
IMG 9528
IMG 4991
dan1989

dan1989

I know brother. It's a bitch sometimes to make sense of it all. Hard facts are the longer the dry the better. Here's how I did it.

Temp in the low 60's.

Humidity 50-60%

Small fan pointed at the tent wall.

Tent exhaust fan on the speed controllers lowest setting, and constantly on. So it slowly exchanges the air in the tent.

Chopped by the branch and hung whole.

After 3 days I removed the fan leaves.

7 days later I trimmed and into the jars.

How much more difficult would you say the dry trim is than wet? I've done wet every time, and did once have the permanent grassy smell cos I ran a dehumidifier in the tent. I'd like to try a dry trim to see the difference for myself. But I'd rather not be spending half a day with the fiskars picking out curled up crispy sugar leaves from inside my buds. Or is it not as bad as I imagine?

Latest posts

Top Bottom