Harvest ready? Mix of clear, cloudy, and amber

• Thread starter Pearl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Check out this post on dry "trimming" with a silicone brush. I have yet to try it this way, but I am definitely trying it when I harvest my next crop.

I have, however, been dry trimming for a while now... really helps to achieve a nice drying when the RH is low... like in winter indoors in northern climates. Also breaks up the chores... I'll chop them down and take off all the largest fan leaves. Dry them until they're ready, then take care of the sugar leaves that can largely be snapped off with just your fingers

Might help with the CTS.
I haven't even finished dry trimming last year's harvest yet lol. I wash my buds after I wet trim... so it's super time consuming. I guess when you grow a year's worth of smoke in one go, a lot of work is to be expected.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

here are some interesting facts:
---when the trichomes start to turn amber that change at the rate of 5% per week
-- when using "pistals" as a factor the plants ready for harvest when the pistals have turned 60- 80% amber
-- also if growning indoors "reduce" light to 60% the last 2 weeks before harvest - this will really ripen your plants buds (think about it season change from summer to fall (uncreased ligjhtng and heat intensity)
Hmmmm...while I'm all for mimicking mother nature as closely as possible, and I do see the logic in your idea, I wonder if reducing photosynthesis time is a wise idea.

Do you have any empirical evidence or studies that have shown this to be beneficial in the way you have posted?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I haven't even finished dry trimming last year's harvest yet lol. I wash my buds after I wet trim... so it's super time consuming. I guess when you grow a year's worth of smoke in one go, a lot of work is to be expected.
How do you store your harvest if you need it to last at least a year without oxidizing your product?

beluga

beluga

I’m in the same boat having much to harvest and dry. I’ve seen the silicone brush video and one thing becomes very clear…he’s only brushing off 2-3 leaves on a very tight big bud that was obviously grown indoors. My outdoor grown buds and those I’ve seen from many posters aren’t as tight and have many more sugar leaves so I’m wondering how brushing these types of buds will work. I guess for a few $ for a silicone brush it’s worth a try.
Very good point. I imagine this method wouldn't prove quite as effective with certain plant structure types.
There do exist worse problems to have 😂

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Check out this post on dry "trimming" with a silicone brush. I have yet to try it this way, but I am definitely trying it when I harvest my next crop.

I have, however, been dry trimming for a while now... really helps to achieve a nice drying when the RH is low... like in winter indoors in northern climates. Also breaks up the chores... I'll chop them down and take off all the largest fan leaves. Dry them until they're ready, then take care of the sugar leaves that can largely be snapped off with just your fingers

Might help with the CTS.
Have you ever tried a dry trim tumbler like this:

A buddy of mine had one and I was skeptical but the results were impressive. I thought a lot of trichs would get knocked off but the flower was pretty intact and only a small amount of fine trimming was needed to get them to dispensary level trim.

beluga

beluga

Have you ever tried a dry trim tumbler like this:

A buddy of mine had one and I was skeptical but the results were impressive. I thought a lot of trichs would get knocked off but the flower was pretty intact and only a small amount of fine trimming was needed to get them to dispensary level trim.
I haven't! I'll have to take a peek.
Honestly, I notice when they're dried right without fresh trimming, most of the leaf structures that you want to fall off pretty easily do. So, I could see where something like this would definitely be effective at least for 70-80% of your small leaf trimming... which is considerable when doing a bunch. Even if it takes care of 50% without having to snip or pluck... not bad.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I haven't! I'll have to take a peek.
Honestly, I notice when they're dried right without fresh trimming, most of the leaf structures that you want to fall off pretty easily do. So, I could see where something like this would definitely be effective at least for 70-80% of your small leaf trimming... which is considerable when doing a bunch. Even if it takes care of 50% without having to snip or pluck... not bad.
Exactly! I was impressed with how much it removed. Obviously, you're going to want to trim off the water leaves as the stems will hold too much water and dry out the flower too much before it's dry enough to snap off but he showed me by taking about a half P he had rough trimmed the water leaves off, poured it into the tumbler. Tumbled it for a few minutes and opened the tumbler.

I was pretty amazed at how well they came out! I thought this was especially perfect for an outdoor grower where there is more volume to have to trim down vs an indoor grow that typically doesn't yield as much volume.

I'm used to using Broccoli trimmers to rough trim all the flower but then again your talking about processing 50 - 100 P a day!

Top Bottom