Harvest Sun 1000w ballast ok choice for newbie?

• Thread starter MisterAvocado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MisterAvocado

I am considering buying a few of the Harvest Sun 1000w switchable ballasts. It retails for $185, roughly the same as the Sun System Harvest Pro 1000w switchable. Features and warranty are also the same. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

T

tonyl50

That's a great price! Where are you getting them from? My first grow was with 1000 watt HPS, and all went well. You will find that using hoods with glass and using ducts-to cool the hoods will work much better than the nonducted hoods. I used the reflector only hoods (no air cooling) on my first grow, and had to battle heat the whole way through. Also, make sure you have a good 8 ft ceiling, as you will need to keep them at least 2 ft from tops of plants.

M

MisterAvocado

online price $153:
http://www.horticulturesource.com/c-a-p-custom-automated-products-1000w-harvest-sun-switchable-ballast-p5381/?osCsid=4e1317c423743a79b1e2c420ded59070

the stores here in oregon seem to charge somewhere in between the online price and the MSRP.

here's the Sun Systems Grow Pro (similar features, $30 more):
http://www.horticulturesource.com/grow-lighting-systems-fixtures-movers-ballasts-sockets-reflectors-components-c21/ballasts-capacitors-parts-s23/sunlight-supply-sun-system-gro-pro-1000w-switchable-mh-hps-120v-240v-mvp--p573/?osCsid=4e1317c423743a79b1e2c420ded59070

tony, thx for the info.. I think I'll try without vented hoods since I have a tall room and strong AC. If I have temp control issues, I'll adjust for the 2nd try..

T

tonyl50

Sounds good. You should do great. Thanks for the links. With a strong AC, you should have no problems. This is a great site for any knowlege you need. Excellent, experienced, and super helpful. I think it is the very best site on growing out there. Great search tool to find anything. If can't find, then post the question, and you will be blown away on all the help you get. Always good to include all info, and photos if asking question.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Never used the H. Sun but I've had zero problems with my Harvest Pro. Got it from a local hydro store for $200.
I too am a big fan of air cooled hoods. Will not grow without them now.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I have 2 of them, they get that hot paint smell for a few weeks when ya first run them but been going for over a year no and no hiccups.

Id go ahead and spend some money on good reflectors though - magnum 2xxls are nice

Mike49048

Mike49048

I agree with motherlode go with the magnum XXXL hoods their great and air cooled. Put it on a mover and you wouldn't have a problem getting closer then 2' from the tops. I would still use a A/C.

Top Bottom