Harvested early : Need some advice / tips

• Thread starter Fortaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fortaf

Fortaf

Hey guys and gals,

I’m a grower from Long Island, NY . I currently have 4 outdoor plants going (2 AK47 FEM, 1 Banana Kush Fem, 1 G13 fem).

One thing about the climate in NY is it gets VERY humid during the transformation into fall. My harvest last year was ruined by humidity and mold (bud rot).

This Season, I detected a tiny bit of bud rot and cut it off , the rest of the plant and it’s buds look very healthy. After I removed the bad bud, I decided to harvest earlier than anticipated . The trichomes are white , however not all of my pistils turned into that amber brown.

I just need some assurance I I guess … did I make the right call harvesting the plants when I did? Any advice for a grower in a very humid environment ??

(I have a grow tent set up with an AC to
control the temp and humidity to be at 60/60.. )

023603A9 762D 4C59 9376 9038D5474E19
311C7AE2 6F50 4FEC 8B4D 8ABC53BD9ECD
924FF58F 33D4 454A A851 C8A6C8942DCB
E0BABA6B D785 40B7 BFC0 4FAE8D9ECD8C
5817AFCE C167 4E2E 9B99 B830EBEDB3B7
88613B66 06AF 431E 8A8A 86BA1E3E7C93
6A9B790D AA92 4346 9A21 F3581558A753
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

When you already have gotten budrot, it's a huge risk, every day you don't harvest. I've chanced it and regretted it, but that was for a plant that I harvested at 12 weeks but should have harvested a week early. I would have been better off a week early.

Next year, make them branch out more, to produce more small buds and fewer colas.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

This Season, I detected a tiny bit of bud rot and cut it off , the rest of the plant and it’s buds look very healthy. After I removed the bad bud, I decided to harvest earlier than anticipated . The trichomes are white , however not all of my pistils turned into that amber brown.

I just need some assurance I I guess … did I make the right call harvesting the plants when I did? Any advice for a grower in a very humid environment ??
You did the same thing I did earlier in the year. My neighbor had big plants last year and kept leaving them out. I talked to him during the winter and it turned out he had to throw the whole crop out with mold and rot.

I'm getting tired of fighting PM this year and took one of my 2 plants down (the smaller one) already. It's a tough call because the plants are looking good. There's powdery mildew on the bamboo and lilac plants on my property too. It's a bad year for PM where I live.

DSC06945a
DSC06937a

Last edited:
Jimmie

Jimmie

Hey guys and gals,

I’m a grower from Long Island, NY . I currently have 4 outdoor plants going (2 AK47 FEM, 1 Banana Kush Fem, 1 G13 fem).

One thing about the climate in NY is it gets VERY humid during the transformation into fall. My harvest last year was ruined by humidity and mold (bud rot).

(I have a grow tent set up with an AC to
control the temp and humidity to be at 60/60.. )
Hey Fortaf, eastern Long Island here. I’m gonna pick most of my two white widows this weekend. It’s about a week early, bud the conditions couldn’t be worse. Don’t want to risk any more bud rot, already rearing it’s ugly head. Humidity was at 96% this am, sucks. Picture from last week

3745C731 A8A1 4786 87A3 5331EF751068
Fortaf

Fortaf

When you already have gotten budrot, it's a huge risk, every day you don't harvest. I've chanced it and regretted it, but that was for a plant that I harvested at 12 weeks but should have harvested a week early. I would have been better off a week early.

Next year, make them branch out more, to produce more small buds and fewer colas.
Yup. Something I took note of this year was I need to do a better job giving the bud sites and colas
Hey Fortaf, eastern Long Island here. I’m gonna pick most of my two white widows this weekend. It’s about a week early, bud the conditions couldn’t be worse. Don’t want to risk any more bud rot, already rearing it’s ugly head. Humidity was at 96% this am, sucks. Picture from last week
yup. Today was wet and soggy outside. No good. I’m pulling up everything

Madbud

Madbud

Put a sheet of plastic or buckets under the buds drying to see if tiny caterpillars come down, they eat buds and it looks like bud rot but botrytis is systemic and will affect the whole plant.

Palindrome

Palindrome

Really, your best options are to choose fast maturing varieties and, as already stated, trimming to maintain an open airy canopy. Have you considered daylenth insensitive versions of your favorites (meaning autoflowering forms)? Other than that, avoid outdoor cultivation in your area. You can't change your growing season. You can spot spray with fungicidal agents but do you really want to go there? Btw - I think you made the best (only) call under the circumstances - just don't know the degree of damage already done. Maybe use that outdoor stuff for extractions rather than smoke...

Top Bottom