Harvesting a feminized autoflower, found caterpillar around a crusty area with seeds

• Thread starter HedgedAndLevered
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

I found a couple caterpillars in this nug while harvesting. A little bit was crusty around the area, and then a couple seeds came out!
Will those seeds just be genetically identical to the plant? Under what circumstances does this happen?

These are the only seeds I've found so far about halfway through my harvest (though not the only caterpillars)

Is the general area around this nug ok or is it contaminated in some way? I've seen a couple brown dots around these kind of crusty areas too. Don't seem to look like the aphid eggs I've seen...

Nug problem
Brown dots
Ponky

Ponky

Seeds where there shouldn't be seeds is bad. And the seeds are bad. And should be destroyed. The seed bank named and shamed. It's like being served a purple steak or a lasagna without enough meat. Should make you angry and vengeful.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Seed bank was Seedsman.
First grow ever but was v pleased with how it turned out... surprised to hear such a negative view on that.
only got 7 seeds from the whole harvest, that means the seed I originally grew it from was bad somehow?
And all the seeds are bad, what, because they'll be identical to the mother which was also bad genetically?
This is like the best weed I've ever smoked, if its identical genetically I'd be happy to use them or give them out to friends interested in growing...
any reason to believe it would be worse than the mother plant?

Ponky

Ponky

Seed bank was Seedsman.
First grow ever but was v pleased with how it turned out... surprised to hear such a negative view on that.
only got 7 seeds from the whole harvest, that means the seed I originally grew it from was bad somehow?
And all the seeds are bad, what, because they'll be identical to the mother which was also bad genetically?
This is like the best weed I've ever smoked, if its identical genetically I'd be happy to use them or give them out to friends interested in growing...
If a fem plant drops seeds it's all it will ever do. It won't grow sensimilia. Just seedy poo. Tell them. So they can stop selling that SKU. Lots of good weed. Seed weed being the best smoke you've had is a blessing. Because that's easy to beat. There are way better smokes to be grown. Forget that poo. Get you something else. You won't regret it. Seeds..those suck.

growsince79

growsince79

Seed bank was Seedsman.
IME the seeds won't be identical to the parent- similar but not exact. If this is your first grow and you keep growing, you will grow much better without the herm seeds.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

oh so its def a herm if it produces seeds? I always assumed it would produce a lot more seeds if that was the case and just that this was from local stress from the caterpillars or something. Good to know, wow crazy it was wrongly marked as feminized, this site was recommended by a friend and seemed to have good reviews.
Could that be why it had a much longer growing time than expected? started flowering on day 39, harvested after 8 weeks of flowering, day 96. Was waiting for a hint of auburn on the top crystals and they took forever

TSD

TSD

oh so its def a herm if it produces seeds? I always assumed it would produce a lot more seeds if that was the case and just that this was from local stress from the caterpillars or something. Good to know, wow crazy it was wrongly marked as feminized, this site was recommended by a friend and seemed to have good reviews.
Could that be why it had a much longer growing time than expected? started flowering on day 39, harvested after 8 weeks of flowering, day 96. Was waiting for a hint of auburn on the top crystals and they took forever
Just cause it's marked fem doesn't mean it won't herm out, there's tons of bad genetics out there. It can also herm from stress... but to have fully formed seeds, it had to have a pollen sac somewhere that pollinated the female parts and resulted in seeds, either on that same plant if it has both parts, which is what a hermaphrodite is, or from an external source, like being pollinated by a neighbor if you're growing outside. The amount of seeds depends on the amount of pollen that made contact with the female reproductive parts resulting in her being knocked up. Maybe some crazy genes can make seeds without being pollinated, of that I'm not sure, if so I doubt they'd be viable, and why would you waste time and resources growing shit genetics unless you have no choice but to use what you have? Just my 2 cents.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

wow actually now that I think about it, I was having *insane* allergies while harvesting, I figured it was pollen so ended up double-masking and running HEPA-filter air purifiers on the table the second day of trimming it was so bad. Didn't even cross my mind that there shouldn't have been any pollen at all!

Contacted Seedsman for some replacement seeds. Good idea or should I just never trust them now and ask for a refund instead? Gotta imagine that if its possible with a highly rated seed distributor like them, it would be possible with any of em.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

If you are only growing feminized autoflowers you should not have seeds, autoflowers either flower or don't you do not get hermies or male plants, an auto that will not flower will have 2 vertical spikes at nodes and will never flower, if an autoflower has 2 v shaped pistils at nodes and will not flower but is clearly female cutting the light cycle to 12/12 may induce flowering if the plant is stable and not to messed up, but after 10+ years of perpetually growing them never had a hermie, male or seeds, if there unfeminized yea you will get males and hermies and beans, something had to pollinate it but depending on how stable it is will affect the seeds, I have unfeminized sour 60 auto seeds I sacrificed a samsquatch f6 female and made seeds they came out stable but over time will lose there feminization but will always be autoflowers. See pic.

20210217 144031
thejack

thejack

I found a couple caterpillars in this nug while harvesting. A little bit was crusty around the area, and then a couple seeds came out!
Will those seeds just be genetically identical to the plant? Under what circumstances does this happen?

These are the only seeds I've found so far about halfway through my harvest (though not the only caterpillars)

Is the general area around this nug ok or is it contaminated in some way? I've seen a couple brown dots around these kind of crusty areas too. Don't seem to look like the aphid eggs I've seen...

thejack

thejack

Those eating machines were all over my Kale and destroying the delicious foilage.
I had to resort to a nuclear solution: I drenched my beautiful Kale with a Neem Oil solutiont.
hey were all gone within a week and never came back.
Natural stuff works...

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Those are bud worms. The brown dots and chunks are caterpillar poop. After a bud worm passes through, the surrounding bud tissue tends to rot (the brown stuff).

I recommend BT.

TSD

TSD

wow actually now that I think about it, I was having *insane* allergies while harvesting, I figured it was pollen so ended up double-masking and running HEPA-filter air purifiers on the table the second day of trimming it was so bad. Didn't even cross my mind that there shouldn't have been any pollen at all!

Contacted Seedsman for some replacement seeds. Good idea or should I just never trust them now and ask for a refund instead? Gotta imagine that if its possible with a highly rated seed distributor like them, it would be possible with any of em.
I used seedsman once and never again. Only like a third my seeds popped, and I couldn't get any replacement because it was not legal in my state then, so there's that loophole for them. Maybe was a fluke, but I've never had an issue getting seeds to pop except that year. Bad genetics are everywhere, it's so unregulated, seed breeding kinda like the wild west, you could get something awesome as described, or you could get garbage.

Top Bottom