Harvesting tips?

• Thread starter 420trout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420trout

420trout

Last years harvest was a lot of work, add to that I also helped a friend with his harvest too. Sure hurt my old back. I am starting to think about ways to make it easier. Better scissors, trim bins, but what else? Now I'm not talking about a huge grow. a couple of pounds in one and maybe 4-6 from the other, plus helping out some new growers with just six plants. I tend to wet trim, but is it easier or better to cut, hang and dry trim? What other things do you do to save time or make the job easier? I only know how I do it.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Trimming is a stupid concept. Leaves are between calyx clusters, the concept of removing the outer half beforehand and ignoring the inner half is just absurd. Just break off calyx clusters when loading your grinder, and remove 100% of the leaf at that point, keep a tin for leaf to make edibles from. You don't need any scissors or tweezers or anything.

Should go without saying but when you start at the bottom of the bud and pull clusters downward, the upper portion of the bud remains protected by the layer of leaf above the cluster you just removed. Out of all the dumb quirks people have with smoking and fears of damaging buds/trichs, this one actually makes sense.

420trout

420trout

Anyone try the bowl trimmers? I am thinking about buying one of those for the small stuff and hand trimming the best buds.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Trimming is a stupid concept. Leaves are between calyx clusters, the concept of removing the outer half beforehand and ignoring the inner half is just absurd. Just break off calyx clusters when loading your grinder, and remove 100% of the leaf at that point, keep a tin for leaf to make edibles from. You don't need any scissors or tweezers or anything.

Should go without saying but when you start at the bottom of the bud and pull clusters downward, the upper portion of the bud remains protected by the layer of leaf above the cluster you just removed. Out of all the dumb quirks people have with smoking and fears of damaging buds/trichs, this one actually makes sense.

You always start your comment with an insult but still have not shown any credibility.

We use sharp micro tip shears to trim flowers. You must have seen a pair of fiskers with all your experience.

You just poke the tip in and cut bud leaves off at the base if they are in deep.

No one wants untrimmed bud so they can follow your silly advice.

;-)

420trout

420trout

You always start your comment with an insult but still have not shown any credibility.

We use sharp micro tip shears to trim flowers. You must have seen a pair of fiskers with all your experience.

You just poke the tip in and cut bud leaves off at the base if they are in deep.

No one wants untrimmed bud so they can follow your silly advice.

;-)
That's what I've always done before. I have read that dry trimming can lead to more trichomes breaking off. What I am looking for here is ways to speed up what I am already doing. Better scissors (I like the micro tips and the large handled bonsai scissors), maybe a bowl trimmer for smalls, keeping extra clean scissors at the ready (in a shot glass of alcohol), clean storage bins for input and output, clean up the trim area before I start, trim bins seem like a wise choice, for my quantity one of those hanging mesh drying racks. What else? What slick little tricks do you use to speed up your harvest? I will be doing my own and helping at least 2 others.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's what I've always done before. I have read that dry trimming can lead to more trichomes breaking off. What I am looking for here is ways to speed up what I am already doing. Better scissors (I like the micro tips and the large handled bonsai scissors), maybe a bowl trimmer for smalls, keeping extra clean scissors at the ready (in a shot glass of alcohol), clean storage bins for input and output, clean up the trim area before I start, trim bins seem like a wise choice, for my quantity one of those hanging mesh drying racks. What else? What slick little tricks do you use to speed up your harvest? I will be doing my own and helping at least 2 others.

I use the fiskars bonsai shears with the big padded handle. For me much less fatigue and soreness.

And i dry trim for better quality on a screened trim tray to collect falling trichomes (kief).

With practice i can dry trim now as fast as wet trim. In my opinion wet trim damages way more trichomes (smears them) and you cant collect the keif.

420trout

420trout

I use the fiskars bonsai shears with the big padded handle. For me much less fatigue and soreness.

And i dry trim for better quality on a screened trim tray to collect falling trichomes (kief).

With practice i can dry trim now as fast as wet trim. In my opinion wet trim damages way more trichomes (smears them) and you cant collect the keif.
Now there's something I had not considered! I find dry trimming harder, but what you just said makes so much sense I think I will go dry trim this time. Thanks!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Now there's something I had not considered! I find dry trimming harder, but what you just said makes so much sense I think I will go dry trim this time. Thanks!

Also trimming dry makes my flowers dry a bit slower which is the main benefit.

Good luck bud!

Northernpop

Northernpop

I'm cutting my gsc after a kip, and I think I'll now only remove dead and shade leaf wet.

I've built some hash screens, so I'm hoping I'll collect more good stuff, by dry trimming.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I did mostly a wet trim but had to finish with dry trimming this year as usual and still prefer wet. Dry is really hard on my sinus’. I have plenty of product to practice on as well. Sometimes when you have a lot of product it’s harder to dry trim due to timeline. Wet you can take your time and do like one plant at a time. It’s harder to get out the little stems and stuff breaks off a lot during dry trim as well. Not that you really lose much though. I notice the bud does have a different look which can look better and taste great as well. But my product that came from wet trimming was also amazing. I can’t really tell much of a difference smoking them to be honest. It’s all amazing this year And years of the past. I usually end up doing part of my outdoor harvest with dry trim. The reason is my room size is small and I have developed my own method which works best for me. I also have the weather to contend with. When I know the plants are done and we have below freezing consistent weather coming, I chop the remainder in big increments. I have a day gig, so I have to work at night which is exhausting, I like to be proficient but with quality. Once I hand cut and with those electric scissors did 28 pounds by myself. I come back after the quick electric buzz up and finish it or hang depending upon if I’m doing wet or dry at that time.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Anyone try the bowl trimmers? I am thinking about buying one of those for the small stuff and hand trimming the best buds.
We use the ipower bowl trimmer. The 2 of us will do about 10 lbs of wet buds per hour. And dosen't really look too bad imo.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My new method will be remove all fans at harvest. Then dry trim with a silicone BBQ brush. Works well and no need to buy this product but here is where I got the idea.

I was really impressed by my dollar store silicone brush. This worked much better than I expected.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

There’s a hydro supply store near me that rents out centurion pro trimmers for the day. This is the biggest time saver for me.

Easier than forking out up to $20k and they are white glove touch to the flowers.

Top Bottom