Harvesting too late?

• Thread starter BzDave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BzDave

BzDave

Is there a time that you must harvest your buds to maximize potency or can you leave them to grow as long as necessary without worry? I ask because I have a second harvest coming thru and I want to let the buds grow as long as I can .

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

The best way to know if your buds are at peak is a bit debatable... it all comes down to trichromes... use a magnifying tool to see their color... if your going for an upbeat head high then 90 to 95% of the trichromes will have a milky color and the rest should have an amber color... if your looking for that couch lock feeling then harvest when 50% trichromes are milky and about 50% amber... the more amber the trichromes the more your plant is degrading in quality.

Caninobis

Caninobis

The best way to know if your buds are at peak is a bit debatable... it all comes down to trichromes... use a magnifying tool to see their color... if your going for an upbeat head high then 90 to 95% of the trichromes will have a milky color and the rest should have an amber color... if your looking for that couch lock feeling then harvest when 50% trichromes are milky and about 50% amber... the more amber the trichromes the more your plant is degrading in quality.
Is it Time to harvest you think?
I can see a few amber trichomes but they mostly look clear to me. What do you think? Time to harvest? Another week? 2 weeks? I was thinking a week but I’m not confident in that so any advice would be awesome!
E43B95B8 E0A1 4FF2 9B66 1C1DB903E4E2
3F34A6B5 E871 49CD B038 1C4A7B15D558
0C818C05 0687 41B0 A386 E345A9E2BDC1
0B60AFCF 17E8 444D 915D 45BB5BF80E4C
A008C881 5BCC 4681 ADA0 B2B81CDEC73B

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That is a common debate and my answer is it depends on the strain and type. Sativa plants tend to take longer to flower and grow slightly during flowering, while Indica plants tend to grow denser buds that stay shorter. I prefer to let plants flower until they are just about dying... they look like trees in fall with larger fan leaves yellowing and falling. It's my opinion and experience that you get the majority of the heft and flavor dring the final days of the plant... usually a week or two after the "optimum Trichome" method for determining "doneness". Indica plants mature faster and don't flower as long, so I don't usually let them grow as long as the Sativas as they will start to grow funny and start foxtailing, which is an abnormal type of flowering.
Anyhow, that's my opinion!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That is a common debate and my answer is it depends on the strain and type. Sativa plants tend to take longer to flower and grow slightly during flowering, while Indica plants tend to grow denser buds that stay shorter. I prefer to let plants flower until they are just about dying... they look like trees in fall with larger fan leaves yellowing and falling. It's my opinion and experience that you get the majority of the heft and flavor dring the final days of the plant... usually a week or two after the "optimum Trichome" method for determining "doneness". Indica plants mature faster and don't flower as long, so I don't usually let them grow as long as the Sativas as they will start to grow funny and start foxtailing, which is an abnormal type of flowering.
Anyhow, that's my opinion!

My recently harvested herijuana jack foxtailed like that so we harvested her.

Leaves were already removed during harvest. Look at the top of the center bud.

4CD63DC5 A1B5 4DE1 8E6F 274D69231658

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My recently harvested herijuana jack foxtailed like that so we harvested her.

Leaves were already removed during harvest. Look at the top of the center bud.

View attachment 906382
The little nubb on top of the 2nd plant from the left is usually one of the major signs that I use for telling doneness. Once I see that forming, or the single bladed leaves seen on the next plant to the right, I know the plant is finished. Any additional growth is usually fairly sparse and mis-shappen.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The little nubb on top of the 2nd plant from the left is usually one of the major signs that I use for telling doneness. Once I see that forming, or the single bladed leaves seen on the next plant to the right, I know the plant is finished. Any additional growth is usually fairly sparse and mis-shappen.

Yup. And when we looked through the scope she was all cloudy with a little amber. Perfect.

Caninobis

Caninobis

@Jimster @MIMedGrower so that’s what foxtailing is!!! I had one plant do that gnarly and I thought it was like starting another flower cycle so I just let it go and ended up with nothing but larf. Good to know that’s a sign of it being done. Also what is a Pi shot? I’ll take the pics a little later when it warms up but it’s fucking freezing out here in Southern California right now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

this is my little bud stick. We fought off death all season and she managed to pull through. Granted not nearly what I was anticipating when I popped her bean but Small wins for now.
View attachment 906453View attachment 906454View attachment 906455View attachment 906456View attachment 906457View attachment 906458View attachment 906459

She is real leafy so hard to see but looks like plenty of thick white pitils left. They will die back as the buds expand more.

Caninobis

Caninobis

She is real leafy so hard to see but looks like plenty of thick white pitils left. They will die back as the buds expand more.
Yeah she’s super leafy. Idk if it’s genetics or if I overfed nitrogen or what but she’s got leaves galore. She just started to fill out a little bit they were real wispy buds for a while and now they’re all starting to fill out pretty well. She is taking forever to flower though. She’s at the very least 6-7 weeks in. I took my monster crop clone from her on 10/1 so that was 4 weeks ago and she was probably 3 weeks or so in to flower when I did that.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah she’s super leafy. Idk if it’s genetics or if I overfed nitrogen or what but she’s got leaves galore. She just started to fill out a little bit they were real wispy buds for a while and now they’re all starting to fill out pretty well. She is taking forever to flower though. She’s at the very least 6-7 weeks in. I took my monster crop clone from her on 10/1 so that was 4 weeks ago and she was probably 3 weeks or so in to flower when I did that.

I never grew outside so im not sure what to expect but indoors from flip most plants need 10 weeks or more to be truly done. I run sativa leaning hybrids 12 weeks often.

Caninobis

Caninobis

I never grew outside so im not sure what to expect but indoors from flip most plants need 10 weeks or more to be truly done. I run sativa leaning hybrids 12 weeks often.
Oh wow. So she’s got some time left. Well that’s fine I’ll just let her do her thing. My goal for outdoor is to grow a massive monster. So I’m trying to get some outdoor growing chops for next season. The plan is to start a girl inside around March, get her nice and healthy and then throw her outside at the very beginning of June. I used to live in a town that had a perfect climate for growing so I didn’t need to dial anything. Just water and some feeding here and there and my plants were good. Now I live in a shit town with a desert climate and awful water but I didn’t realize any of that until I started growing so I’m learning how to grow in this new environment. Granted I’ve never been super knowledgeable mainly because I didn’t have to be because it was so simple and I was just growing for fun but now I’ve got to pay attention to so much because of where I live. Plus I’m over the growing just to grow phase and I have a goal for what I want to produce. Now I want to grow some bragworthy buds and really dial in my skills both ID and OD.
lol, shit, I’m rambling.

Top Bottom