Harvesting w/ mites?

• Thread starter ShutUpDonny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Hey all,

So I just discovered a growing infestation of my girl. Mites or aphids of some sort, as best I can tell through my 30x magnifier. My plant is about 6 weeks into flower, and I noticed the beginning of the bug attack about a week ago (but I thought it was a fert problem until yesterday). Please check my journal in my sig if you want more of the details of my typical rookie stupidity.

Anyway, my question is what should I do now? The number of yellow fan leaves seems to have doubled overnight, and it's affected most of the plant by now. Also, my stupidity has extended to me not having anything on hand to fight these bastards. Since I live out in the desert it means I'll have to order stuff, and so it won't arrive for several days. I'm basically just thinking that it's not worth it, that the plant will get much worse before I can fight them and that I'm reasonably close to harvest time anyway.

My plan is to give her one more watering of just RO and molasses to flush the tea I gave her yesterday, and then shut the lights off in 2 days or so.

As I said, this is my first time. Is it okay to harvest as normal with the bugs on her (they seem to just be on the fan leaves)? When I chop should I do anything differently? Should I cure them in water and hopefully get the bugs to float away? ANY advice or pointers you could offer would be great.

Man. I am so pissed that I made it this far only to have to stop short. And I'm extra pissed that I don't have the tools that I need, and that it took me way too long to notice the problem. Fucking noob.

Thank you for being my group therapy.

P

paperplane

IMO I feel your a little to late in flower to do anything. I would start your flush and just keep checking on her everyday. If they are mites after u chop the plants down and hang them upside down, they will all run to the bottom of the plant becuase you will be hanging the plants upside down. "So they are actually at the top of your upside down hanging tree. after a few days just blow torch them or cut that brach off and throw them mites in the garbage.

S

SSHZ

Everyone's experience will be different but I had a similar issue recently:

I would either buy Mighty Wash or Doktor Doom Bug bombs. Mighty Wash is frequency water and the bombs are pyretheum. Both can be used up to a day or two before cutting in flowering. I'd wash off the plants the following day after application to be sure.

I would pinch off the leaves that have the worse infestation. It will shorten finishing time and greatly cut back the attack, at least for a while.

Don't bother cutting light back....at this time it won't make any difference at all.

Mites don't like it humid so I'd do what ever I could to raise moisture in the room, including misting plants. Make sure you leave a fan on the plants to reduce chances of mold.

If the plants are really yellowing a lot, like you said- than you better act quick or there may not be much left in a couple of weeks. Remember, mites only bother with leaves, not buds.

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

Okay, I've cut off the worst of the fan leaves - my guess would be about 15-20% of the total number of them. It was the largest of the leaves that they seemed to like the best, so it's mostly big ones that I chopped.

I also misted the shit out of the plants and cranked up RH into the 60s. Vent and circ fans are also going full tilt though.

SSHZ, can you tell me more about not cutting back light? I meant that I'd do it because I'm going to harvest now, and it would be the "flush + 3 days of darkness" period right before chopping. Is that what you meant, that there's no point in my doing that? Or did I make it sound like I was just doing it just to fight bugs?

I'm EXTREMELY happy to hear that they stick to leaves and don't penetrate buds. So I can just manicure as normal when it comes time. That is great news.

S

SSHZ

The darkness period is not necessary, although this is an argument that has been going on for ages. Some breeders recommend it, and others don't. I've tried it twice and didn't notice any difference. My suggestion is since you are cutting early (or a least I thought you are), then give them as much light as you can leading to the chop. If they went the full length of flowering and were quite done, then I'd turn off the lights the last few days. But in your case, leave it in the 12 on/ 12 off until the chop. There are a 100 different answers to your questions. What I've told you worked well for me and I am in drying my largest crop ever, even with a mite attack. Some people with constant mite problems (the borg) have to take more urgent defense and multiple plan of attacks. What I explained to you will work well, quickly and safely to get u thru the end........

P

paperplane

Forgot to mention cutting the infested leaves off. <Thats a must!
I try not to spray anything on my flowers once I'm passed 2 weeks or when buds are present. I know alot of products say you can use up to the day of havest, I just feel that they are refering to other typical type gardens, Fruits & veggies, etc.. that can be washed off and not really intented to be sprayed on herbs that will be smoked in 2-3 weeks although I could be wrong?

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like I was rejecting what you said. Just wanted to clarify in case I wasn't making sense.

Yes, I am still planning to harvest early unless you think I should wait? I'm sorry that you had a similar issue, but your method sounds smart and it's what I'll do. It certainly makes sense to me that since 100 straight hours of darkness don't really occur in nature then it doesn't need to happen indoors either.

But you do think I should harvest ASAP?

S

SSHZ

I'll pipe in with: you can safely water down plants if you do it early in the day, have plenty of fans running in the room and let it warm up in the room some. Outside, it rains and mists often and most strains can fend off a mold attack caused by the moisture. Of course, some strains with large buds might have issues but I found as long as you run good circulating fans, they will be able to dry plants. Only spray early in the morning so they have a chance to dry in the warmth of the lights. If you follow directions and things are safe up to the day of harvesting, you'll be fine.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Sounds like your getting some great advice.

These farmers are great here.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

I'm EXTREMELY happy to hear that they stick to leaves and don't penetrate buds. So I can just manicure as normal when it comes time. That is great news.

Me too...I never knew that..

Good luck with the Grow Donny!

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

IMO I feel your a little to late in flower to do anything. I would start your flush and just keep checking on her everyday. If they are mites after u chop the plants down and hang them upside down, they will all run to the bottom of the plant becuase you will be hanging the plants upside down. "So they are actually at the top of your upside down hanging tree. after a few days just blow torch them or cut that brach off and throw them mites in the garbage.

+1 bro said it straight up I couldn't agree more

Everyone's experience will be different but I had a similar issue recently:

I would either buy Mighty Wash or Doktor Doom Bug bombs. Mighty Wash is frequency water and the bombs are pyretheum. Both can be used up to a day or two before cutting in flowering. I'd wash off the plants the following day after application to be sure.

I would pinch off the leaves that have the worse infestation. It will shorten finishing time and greatly cut back the attack, at least for a while.

Don't bother cutting light back....at this time it won't make any difference at all.

Mites don't like it humid so I'd do what ever I could to raise moisture in the room, including misting plants. Make sure you leave a fan on the plants to reduce chances of mold.

If the plants are really yellowing a lot, like you said- than you better act quick or there may not be much left in a couple of weeks. Remember, mites only bother with leaves, not buds.

Just like homie said alot of products promote that you can use up to day of harvest but im sure there not talking about growing weed.

And Doctor doom bro? You know that shit is to strong for itself?
It got pulled of shelfs in my area, that shit is straight toxic
A nice overwhelming headache after the bomb comes with it to, regardless of exhausting the room.
If there pulling it off shelfs I dont see any reason why you would want chemicals like it on your buds.
You might be washing some of the residue of leaves, but not from the crevices of the bud
Spray more water to ''wash off" in late flowering & and your just gonna have pm then
Ive had to do it as a last resort and the buds were so horrible with taste and smell I had to toss it, never again

Best thing you can do at this point is strip all the infected fan leaves off everywhere, Vacuum any webs you see with a shop vac,blow with an airhose,
and "shake" the shit out of em.

remember what you use on your girls now, your eventually gonna inhale into your lungs not done properly.

Good luck bro, start clean next time when your vegging

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

Thats total bs if you have it bad enough where theres a web around the bud,

what do you guys think there chewing on?

My buddy had the worst mite infestation ive ever seen on a couple buds, and of course those fuckers were inside the bud as well as larvae and mite excrement...

I wish it was that easy

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thats total bs if you have it bad enough where theres a web around the bud,

what do you guys think there chewing on?

My buddy had the worst mite infestation ive ever seen on a couple buds, and of course those fuckers were inside the bud as well as larvae and mite excrement...

I wish it was that easy

Thanks for Clarifying that Dr.

If you get mites bad enough to see webs....
you weren't paying attention to your plants. :sad0047:

Or gone on vacation..:dull

icon11.gif

ShutUpDonny

ShutUpDonny

Hahahaha no more vacations EVER! Or at least plan them around switching from veg to flower, from flower to flush, etc.

As for the webs and the bugs... The bugs were only (and probably are) on the biggest fan leaves. I looked at every one, top and bottom, and the mature leaves were the main victims. Now I'm sure that I didn't manage to catch and burn every last one - like you all say, they're the borg, and I'm fighting empty handed. But I covered the vast majority of the plant from all angles and there are no webs. In fact I'm not even sure that they're mites at all. But the fact is that they were all over the place, and wherever they were it was killing the leaves. So whatever they are they're fucking shit up. But I'll remain optimistic that I've set them back a bit, that they'll stick to leaves unless I let them get out of control again, and that maybe I can squeeze out a little more growing time.

Now in regards to the poison, my plant is straight organic and it's going to stay that way. It's all going to my girlfriend so I'm def not putting any crazy insecticides on it. I'm sure that shit works well, and it probably wouldn't kill anyone to use it once, but I think I'd rather have her smoke bug corpses than engineered poison. I'll be sure and ask her once she smokes it ;D

Seriously though, thanks for all the help and energy. It makes me feel like a little bit less of a loser.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

Thanks for Clarifying that Dr.

If you get mites bad enough to see webs....
you weren't paying attention to your plants. :sad0047:

Or gone on vacation..:dull

icon11.gif

LOL it was vacation...

Fuck that my garden is my vacation :icon_spin:

The sun, good lookin trees all there just need my corona and a blunt.

K

keepmgreen

I would suggest using ice cold water. It really helps as a safe alternative to poisons when you are late into flowering. I still try to keep away from the buds to avoid any chance of bud rot.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can kill the mites by applying a foliar mix of isopropyl alcohol (the higher the percentage the better) every 3 days at minimum, I would start at a 50-50 mix of 91% ISO if possible. You can also discourage reproduction by bringing up the RH in a big, big way. I know that's difficult, but if it means putting a humidifier in there AND spraying then you should consider it. Low temps slow down the reproductive process. You can also use JMS Stylet oil to smother them, again applying every 3 days so as to interrupt the life cycle.

vaporedout

vaporedout

on one of my grows i had mites in the very end, no webs but me being paranoid, i water cured the plant. i got no taste and the buds looked weird but, the high was nice and the smoke was smooth.

also on a side note, someone at a club told me when you get a pop from your bowl/joint it is a bug carcass...... truth?? after that i paid attention to my water cured product and i didnt have one pop.

if your interested in the process, just google it, heres some pics of the product

the 1st trich is before the cure and the 2nd is after...... theres tons of theories on this process so give it a try. i enjoyed it but would only do it for bugs. sorry for the blurred pic, its all i have

B4watercure
Watercure
DSC04951
Aerojoe

Aerojoe

But I'll remain optimistic that I've set them back a bit, that they'll stick to leaves unless I let them get out of control again, and that maybe I can squeeze out a little more growing time.

Now in regards to the poison, my plant is straight organic and it's going to stay that way. It's all going to my girlfriend so I'm def not putting any crazy insecticides on it. I'm sure that shit works well, and it probably wouldn't kill anyone to use it once, but I think I'd rather have her smoke bug corpses than engineered poison. I'll be sure and ask her once she smokes it ;D

Seriously though, thanks for all the help and energy. It makes me feel like a little bit less of a loser.
Hey SUD, I'm glad you removed some of their habitat, but I don't think you should be optimistic to the point of squeezing more growing time out of them. I'd just try to finish this harvest before the borg come back because I think it's too late for you to really take care of the mites for this grow. Clean and do all the preventatives for next run and you should be good. Don't let this get you down, some diligence and neem will take you a long way with the borg, not a big fan of avid/floramite, I've seen that stuff not work because growers were lazy. gl with the borg man :animbong:

LOL it was vacation...

Fuck that my garden is my vacation :icon_spin:

The sun, good lookin trees all there just need my corona and a blunt.
Hell yeah man, that's how I feel, I just need me a good beer and bong:bong2:. For me it's therapeutic/relaxing in my garden... when they are not being invaded by pests that is, otherwise I feel like I'm at war. Although I do feel it's about time for a real vacation soon though.:sun

Top Bottom