Has anyone ever posted a pic

• Thread starter Halebop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Halebop

Has anyone ever posted a pic of their plant asking if it's ready and the answer isn't give it 2 more weeks?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Has anyone ever posted a pic of their plant asking if it's ready and the answer isn't give it 2 more weeks?
Absolutely. My favorite icon is 🪓🪓🪓

But growers with experience don't typically post these kinds of questions, so it is typically new growers. Often harvesting early is part of the excitement.

A lot happens in that last 2 weeks...

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

My personal experience with when to chop has been an interesting.

TLDR: There are so many things that can go into when to chop, and a lot of, IMO comes from experience. Genetics, how sexually mature the plants are when they go to flower, environment, feeding cycles, how healthy the plants are, your preference on highs, desired yield, and countless more.

My first grows were rather fluffy, using ILGM genetics. The buds were open, airy and the leaf to calix ratio was high. While checking the trichomes I would often see a lot more amber compared to the cloudy I'd see. In my eyes these buds were done.

The reality was, that with higher leaf to calix ratios, I saw more amber since trichs on the leaves mature quicker. In an effort to make my buds not as open and airy, my trim jobs often left a lot of leaf material. What I ended up with was a high that was very light on the 'high' effects and a debilitating couch lock that would knock out even the most experienced smokers.

As I continued to grow I vowed to let it ride longer so that the calix were more cloudy. Mission accomplished, calix were more cloudy, but again the buds were airy and open, with a higher leaf to calix ratio. Since I let it ride longer, there was even more amber on the leaves. I figured who cares, it's the leaves. I tried to trim up the buds a bit better to get rid of the excess leaf material, but it wasn't enough. The 'high' was pleasant enough, but after about 20-30 minutes the couch lock and knock out would come and oh boy would it come.

My first grow of Photo's was my best yet. Nugs were more dense and the leaf to calix ratio was much better, more calix, less leaf. Knowing what I did from my first two grows I tried to run it right out to the breeders recommended flower time. The high was the best yet, but still pretty underwhelming. It got you 'high' but it was boring and short lasting. Again, ILGM genetics.

Ultimately the big game changer has been learning and reading what others have posted here and experience. It's hard to describe, but you can see what the plants are doing, particularly as you get into week 8+ of flower. Are they starting to fox tail? Are the the calix starting to swell? Trichs turning more cloudy/amber? I still see things that perplex me, and I still make stupid mistakes, but as long as I learn from it, I call it a win.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im struggling to understand the meaning of this post?

is it a complaint deserving of an entire thread?

Maybe its just me wondering what benefit there is to a question like this but to answer….

I’d probably say because most times people ask around 2 weeks from harvest… i don’t remember the last time someone in veg asked is it ready.

Happyreefing

Happyreefing

My personal experience with when to chop has been an interesting.

TLDR: There are so many things that can go into when to chop, and a lot of, IMO comes from experience. Genetics, how sexually mature the plants are when they go to flower, environment, feeding cycles, how healthy the plants are, your preference on highs, desired yield, and countless more.

My first grows were rather fluffy, using ILGM genetics. The buds were open, airy and the leaf to calix ratio was high. While checking the trichomes I would often see a lot more amber compared to the cloudy I'd see. In my eyes these buds were done.

The reality was, that with higher leaf to calix ratios, I saw more amber since trichs on the leaves mature quicker. In an effort to make my buds not as open and airy, my trim jobs often left a lot of leaf material. What I ended up with was a high that was very light on the 'high' effects and a debilitating couch lock that would knock out even the most experienced smokers.

As I continued to grow I vowed to let it ride longer so that the calix were more cloudy. Mission accomplished, calix were more cloudy, but again the buds were airy and open, with a higher leaf to calix ratio. Since I let it ride longer, there was even more amber on the leaves. I figured who cares, it's the leaves. I tried to trim up the buds a bit better to get rid of the excess leaf material, but it wasn't enough. The 'high' was pleasant enough, but after about 20-30 minutes the couch lock and knock out would come and oh boy would it come.

My first grow of Photo's was my best yet. Nugs were more dense and the leaf to calix ratio was much better, more calix, less leaf. Knowing what I did from my first two grows I tried to run it right out to the breeders recommended flower time. The high was the best yet, but still pretty underwhelming. It got you 'high' but it was boring and short lasting. Again, ILGM genetics.

Ultimately the big game changer has been learning and reading what others have posted here and experience. It's hard to describe, but you can see what the plants are doing, particularly as you get into week 8+ of flower. Are they starting to fox tail? Are the the calix starting to swell? Trichs turning more cloudy/amber? I still see things that perplex me, and I still make stupid mistakes, but as long as I learn from it, I call it a win.
Wonderfully put , great great post my friend. Truly. 🤙🏼

Happyreefing

Happyreefing

Im struggling to understand the meaning of this post?

is it a complaint deserving of an entire thread?

Maybe its just me wondering what benefit there is to a question like this but to answer….

I’d probably say because most times people ask around 2 weeks from harvest… i don’t remember the last time someone in veg asked is it ready.
🤦🏼‍♂️

beluga

beluga

This is a cheap shot at new growers, but I will say that I've been impressed by the increased number of 🪓able "is this ready?" posts I've witnessed lately.
The newbies are evolving

64a832433f72e9abe72d1b54fbb061b1.gif

Top Bottom