Has anyone tried 12/6 for Bloom?

• Thread starter HunterBrandon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Looking at some ads for LEDs, one of them showed the bloom cycle to be 12 hours light and only 6 hours of dark. I really never thought of this but what if the plants don't need a full 12 hours of darkness? The short day triggers the bloom, maybe after 6 hours of darkness they're ready to go just like they are in veg. Tempted to try it but would love to hear if this has been done. It would speed up the flowering time a bit. On a plant that normally takes 12 weeks to flower this would cut 3 weeks off finishing in 9 weeks. Theoretically. Every 4 days you subtract a day from the end.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

It's the 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness that triggers flowering. Some have modified the dark cycle by an hour in either direction without problems, but this is usually after initially starting flower with 12/12. I know @Observationist is playing with short cycles, maybe he has read what you read. I don't think 12/6 would trigger flowering, I think it would just veg.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Here's the ad piece. Not cannabis but it must be working somewhere. I'd have to buy a couple digital light timers as the mechanical type won't work for this. Not to mention this would really screw up anyone's daily routine.

Observationist

Observationist

It's the 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness that triggers flowering. Some have modified the dark cycle by an hour in either direction without problems, but this is usually after initially starting flower with 12/12. I know @Observationist is playing with short cycles, maybe he has read what you read. I don't think 12/6 would trigger flowering, I think it would just veg.
I’ll try another test in the future with 2/2

One where I’ll try to bloom with 2hours on 2hours off

and

one where I’ll initiate bloom with 12/12 then denominate to 2/2

but

It seems pretty apparent it has TO BE UNINTERRUPTED darkness for the proper hormone signaling and the hormones to change.

However, 4on-2off and 6-4 has some potentially beneficial affects

And the last weeks you can run 18hours during the finish/ripening stage
according to @Dirtbag that’s what he did

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

Here's the ad piece. Not cannabis but it must be working somewhere. I'd have to buy a couple digital light timers as the mechanical type won't work for this. Not to mention this would really screw up anyone's daily routine.
View attachment 1249974
Interesting

I could try it.

But yeah I don’t know about that one

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

View attachment 1249974
It’s obviously a typo because it was the only 18/6 (lettering) the graphic designer didn’t spot to fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom