Have to move mid season

• Thread starter Highguy97
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highguy97

Does anyone have any advice for moving these two females into pots without killing them? I have to move soon and they are in the ground but I have too much invested to just leave them behind. Just ignore the potted Auto mid video lol

Z

Zill

HG,

Make sure to dig oversized area around the plant. They are not necessarily deep rooted. Once in a large pot with space to expand make darn sure you pump them with plenty of water. Try to keep from hard direct sunlight. No stress. A shot of KCl will help stimulate root growth. Even consider sprinkling root tone ( commercial product: plant hormone - GA3) around the ball.

Zill.

H

Highguy97

HG,

Make sure to dig oversized area around the plant. They are not necessarily deep rooted. Once in a large pot with space to expand make darn sure you pump them with plenty of water. Try to keep from hard direct sunlight. No stress. A shot of KCl will help stimulate root growth. Even consider sprinkling root tone ( commercial product: plant hormone - GA3) around the ball.

Zill.
How deep do you suppose I'd have to dig up? They have been in ground for months and are about 3-4 ft tall and probably 4-5 ft wide

Bilber

Bilber

Minimum - 5 gallon bucket size.....

Try and get as much root-zone as possible without ripping the roots..

Just remember, regardless of how you transplant, it will get shocked......

And......it is only a "weed" ......

Add some SuperThrive B1 after you transplant the first time, then again when it's in its final home......

I hope it works out for you....

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
If it were me, first of all, I would take several cuttings for clones so as not to lose the plant/strain entirely if something goes wrong, you'll still have clones for next year.

Then, I would carefully start digging in a circle, starting about 12 inches from the longest branches of the plant, and work your way around the plant, trying to get as close to the root ball without cutting roots (although you will inevitably cut into some in the process) and once you have it all loose from the ground, carefully place it into a suitable pot that's at least as wide and deep as the root ball. Fill with soil, water it in, and do your move.

Try to think like a paleontologist, excavating as carefully as you can without destroying what you're digging up. It doesn't look like they're flowering yet, so that will make life easier. Don't be surprised if the shock of transplant does start the flowering process, though, as that's most likely going to be the outcome. It can go either way, it may delay flowering or speed up flowering, but as someone said above, it will shock the plant no matter how carefully you do it, so just be prepared for that.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Keep the root ball wet and you’re probably OK. If you have to go a long distance, wrap the root ball in wet burlap. Just like the tree boys do. Make sure the new home is ready and waiting!

H

Highguy97

If it were me, first of all, I would take several cuttings for clones so as not to lose the plant/strain entirely if something goes wrong, you'll still have clones for next year.

Then, I would carefully start digging in a circle, starting about 12 inches from the longest branches of the plant, and work your way around the plant, trying to get as close to the root ball without cutting roots (although you will inevitably cut into some in the process) and once you have it all loose from the ground, carefully place it into a suitable pot that's at least as wide and deep as the root ball. Fill with soil, water it in, and do your move.

Try to think like a paleontologist, excavating as carefully as you can without destroying what you're digging up. It doesn't look like they're flowering yet, so that will make life easier. Don't be surprised if the shock of transplant does start the flowering process, though, as that's most likely going to be the outcome. It can go either way, it may delay flowering or speed up flowering, but as someone said above, it will shock the plant no matter how carefully you do it, so just be prepared for that.
Well it already started flowering Early but I brought it back before it was more than preflowering and it barely stalled it. So id assume it would be more likely to flower? And it's kinda implied that they aren't going to be happy about it but they are fully established so I'm hoping they should be resilient enough if I'm careful. And it's legal to have 12 in my state so I can't take too many clones. Being on probation makes it a fine line as it is lol if you have more than the limit and get caught it's fed time even on first offense

H

Highguy97

Keep the root ball wet and you’re probably OK. If you have to go a long distance, wrap the root ball in wet burlap. Just like the tree boys do. Make sure the new home is ready and waiting!
My plan is to go straight from the ground into some cut open 55 gallon barrels I have filled with a various ages of goat shit lol none of it is newer than 2-3 years but some is at least 10 years old so it's all pretty well composted . I figure if I do it sooner rather than later Hopefully they will be through the shock by the time I actually have to move and I can just move them in containers and leave them

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Just another transplant! Except this time, you may have to use two hands! hope they can handle pure compost! I guess we will find out!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Well it already started flowering Early but I brought it back before it was more than preflowering and it barely stalled it. So id assume it would be more likely to flower? And it's kinda implied that they aren't going to be happy about it but they are fully established so I'm hoping they should be resilient enough if I'm careful. And it's legal to have 12 in my state so I can't take too many clones. Being on probation makes it a fine line as it is lol if you have more than the limit and get caught it's fed time even on first offense
What state are you in, if you don't mind my asking? Here in CO the limit is 12 plants, as well, but they're nowhere near that strict. Also, here in CO, any plant under 8 inches is not considered. In other words, it has to be over 8 inches to be considered a plant, so theoretically you could have thousands of clones as long as they're under 8 inches 😁

H

Highguy97

So one of them didn't make it and the other one barely made it.. the question is should I cut off the branches that completely died or just leave them? I knocked off all the dead leaves but there are a few bare limbs

H

Highguy97

Anyone have thoughts on what I should do? I tried searching every internet source I could think of and got zero answers to my question. Any help or advice is appreciated

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t think it makes any difference. Just my two cents. Maybe post a picture so we can see how bad it is.

H

Highguy97

It's pretty bad. Literally at least 3/4 of my plant died and it's depressing as fuck. I'm just trying to hopefully harvest something somewhat decent even though there's no chance of it being what it should have been

H

Highguy97

I'll take some pics when I can probably tomorrow when I get off work if it's not dark

H

Highguy97

I already knocked off all the dead leaves by running my hands across the branches im just not sure if it would be better to leave the bare limbs or prune the branches so my plant puts its energy towards what survived rather than recovering the dead parts. Just don't know if it would shock it worse or help it

Top Bottom