Have You Growers Thought Of Wine?

• Thread starter Two.Bears
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Have you thought of making Wine in your grow room?

Wine is multi purpose.

1. Provides extra CO2 for the ladies.
2. Helps mask the smell a bit
3. A little alcohol to relax with.
4. Wine is fantastic in cooking.
5. Wine is easy to make
6. You can get started making Wine on a shoestring budget.
7. Years ago when i checked an Adult could legally make up to 200 gallons a year unless they changed the law in the last 10-15 years. I have been making Wine since i was abouf 15 years old. Going on 62 now.

Let me introduce you to inmate brew.

Here is how i do it but if you want more info there are many excellent videos on YouTube.

Be sure to search inmate brew and watch vids by CraigTube, Terpsichord (SP) Kid.

Step 1. Order Wine yeast. I usually get Chablis or Montrachet. In the beginning i swiped a little bread yeast from my Aunt.

After getting the yeast; everything else can be bought at the store.

Get a plastic bottle of guice (holding a gallon of Juice) try to get Juice without preservatives.

Get a bag of sugar

Get a box of raisins.

Now your ready to start making your Wine.

First open the jug and pour out 1 quart of Juice. This is giving roon for the head while the yeast works.

Take a hand full of raisins in a blender with enough juicd to cover the raisins. Grind TGS raisins and Juice into almost a puree and pour this mixture back in the jug. The ground raisins provides a nutrient for the yeast.

Now make your yeast starter warm water to about body Temperature. Add sugar and yeast. While waiting for tge yeast to start working add 2 3/4 cups sugar to the jug of Juiceand shake well till the sugar is dissolved as much as possible.

When the yeast starter starts working add it to the juice. Loosely pyt the cover on the jug, and rig some sort of airlock that lets the CO2 out but does not let any contaminates in the must.

One more comment about the yeast. A packet of yeast has enough yeast TK make a 5 gallon batch of Wine. If you want to save a few pennies use 1/4 tsp or a little over to make 1 gallon.

Rigging an airlock

1. The way I learned was to Stretch a balloon over The Mouth of the jug. When the balloon starts to inflate take a needle or straight PIN and make a tiny hole near the tip so the pressure can get out without popping the balloon.

2. Some use a condom.

3. Some people buy a commercial airlock and stopper for the jug of Wine.

4. Some make a hole in the lid shove a plastic tube in the hole and seal tge tube and lid with or glue. The other end of the tube goes into a jar or bottle with water.

5. Myself i guess i have gotten lazy i put tge lid back on tge jug until tight, then back off the lid 1/4-1/2 turn. This lets the pressure out without letting contaminates in. A good way to determine if you loosened the lid enough is to squeeze the jug. Of the Juice goes up in the jug you're golden.

In making Wine off and on for 40 years i only had 1 jug blow up on me but that was 22 years ago and it happened when i was out of town.

Now you want to let the Wine sit and do its thing for the primary and secondary feementation; lasting 3-4 weeks. You will see a LOT of sediment on the bottom of the jar.

Now its time to rack the Wine (siphon) info another container. Before doing this clean the second container and the siphon.

Put the siphon in the Wine until the Wine is is 1/2 inch above the sediment. You don't want the layer of sediment to be transferred.

Now about cleaning the second second jug and siphon.

Two easy ways to do this.

Take a pint of water with 4 drops of clorine bleach to the water. Put the lid on the jug and shake well until the jug is sanitized then siphon the bleach water and use the bleach watee to clean the outside of the siphon.

Rince the cleaned jug and siphon with water to get rid of the clorine and you're ready to rack the Wine.

Put the lid on tge new jug of wine and back it off a little so if there is any feementation still going on the pressure can escape. Set it in a closet for the wine to clarify for another month. Rack the Wine one last time again without siphoning any sediment and enjoy.

This is called inmate brew because convicts made this in their cells by stealing sugar and yeast when they worked in the kitchen.

The reason this works to make ok wine instead of vinegar is because the and Juice has been pasteurized, and tge jug is new and clean.

When i bought Welch's frozen concentrate, and used Montrachet yeast i ended witg a Wine that looked like Cherry koolaid but kicked like a mule. 12.5-13% alcohol.

xavier7995

xavier7995

My folks made wine once, got super into it with all the gear and even set up a little Vinyard in the back yard. They did not produce wine, was vile vinegar. Did not stop repeated attempts at boosting bottles, each time ending in a bunch o 10 year olds retching in the back yard vowing to never do that again. Yet a few months would pass and we were back at it hoping it improved with age. Nope.

Like 20 years later and there is still a 50 gallon glass vessel in the basement waiting to be bottled.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

My folks made wine once, got super into it with all the gear and even set up a little Vinyard in the back yard. They did not produce wine, was vile vinegar. Did not stop repeated attempts at boosting bottles, each time ending in a bunch o 10 year olds retching in the back yard vowing to never do that again. Yet a few months would pass and we were back at it hoping it improved with age. Nope.

Like 20 years later and there is still a 50 gallon glass vessel in the basement waiting to be bottled.

I bet they did not sanitize everything properly. If you hdy wild yeast get in the Must you will end up with vinegar.

One of the easiest ways to sanitize tge carboys, siphon, hydrometer, etc is with the bleach as i described or Campden tablets (Sodium Bisulfate if memory serves.

Bannacis

Bannacis

You don't use a still to make wine or beer...that is to make hard liquor, ie moonshine.

On this post subject:
You would need a lot of wine working in your grow room to give off enough CO2 to be helpful.
You would not have room for plants.
Your wine should be working in a cool, preferable dark environment. and with steady temps.
plus you don't want it to be bouncing from footsteps or to be disturbed in any way.
And unless your spilling a lot, there should not be a strong smell that would cover your dank.
And if your gonna make wine, use real fruits. grapes, cherries, apples, elderberries, many many more.
To make a proper wine, use an area that's out of the way and environmentally controllable.
Same goes for your weed. Don't mix the two...

Last edited:
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

You don't use a still to make wine or beer...that is to make hard liquor, ie moonshine.

On this post subject:
You would need a lot of wine working in your grow room to give off enough CO2 to be helpful.
You would not have room for plants.
Your wine should be working in a cool, preferable dark environment. and with steady temps.
plus you don't want it to be bouncing from footsteps or to be disturbed in any way.
And unless your spilling a lot, there should not be a strong smell that would cover your dank.
And if your gonna make wine, use real fruits. grapes, cherries, apples, elderberries, many many more.
To make a proper wine, use an area that's out of the way and environmentally controllable.
Same goes for your weed. Don't mix the two...
Well i brewed wine in a closet in my bedroom and the smell of feementation hit you in the face tge minute you opened the front door.

I can legally grow 12 plants. I intend to put them in 3 gallon (11 liter) pots and have about four or 5 gallons of Wine going

There is an easy way to get a higher alcohol content from Wine without a still.

Freeze the Wine. When it gets slushy pout into a collander. The alcohol will not freeze and tge ice will be caught in the collander. Re freeze the liquid abd toss the ice 1-3 times and you can easily get up to 40-60 proof.

xavier7995

xavier7995

that's what I meant, awkward phrasing on my part. Make some crappy quality beer or wine, then distill that crappy product into some hard alcohol.

I have only half seriously looked into it as a hobby, will peruse the site, thanks @Natural

The ice/freezing distillation sounds like how George Washington made applejack, per Alton brown.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Have you thought of making Wine in your grow room?

Wine is multi purpose.

1. Provides extra CO2 for the ladies.
2. Helps mask the smell a bit
3. A little alcohol to relax with.
4. Wine is fantastic in cooking.
5. Wine is easy to make
6. You can get started making Wine on a shoestring budget.
7. Years ago when i checked an Adult could legally make up to 200 gallons a year unless they changed the law in the last 10-15 years. I have been making Wine since i was abouf 15 years old. Going on 62 now.

Let me introduce you to inmate brew.

Here is how i do it but if you want more info there are many excellent videos on YouTube.

Be sure to search inmate brew and watch vids by CraigTube, Terpsichord (SP) Kid.

Step 1. Order Wine yeast. I usually get Chablis or Montrachet. In the beginning i swiped a little bread yeast from my Aunt.

After getting the yeast; everything else can be bought at the store.

Get a plastic bottle of guice (holding a gallon of Juice) try to get Juice without preservatives.

Get a bag of sugar

Get a box of raisins.

Now your ready to start making your Wine.

First open the jug and pour out 1 quart of Juice. This is giving roon for the head while the yeast works.

Take a hand full of raisins in a blender with enough juicd to cover the raisins. Grind TGS raisins and Juice into almost a puree and pour this mixture back in the jug. The ground raisins provides a nutrient for the yeast.

Now make your yeast starter warm water to about body Temperature. Add sugar and yeast. While waiting for tge yeast to start working add 2 3/4 cups sugar to the jug of Juiceand shake well till the sugar is dissolved as much as possible.

When the yeast starter starts working add it to the juice. Loosely pyt the cover on the jug, and rig some sort of airlock that lets the CO2 out but does not let any contaminates in the must.

One more comment about the yeast. A packet of yeast has enough yeast TK make a 5 gallon batch of Wine. If you want to save a few pennies use 1/4 tsp or a little over to make 1 gallon.

Rigging an airlock

1. The way I learned was to Stretch a balloon over The Mouth of the jug. When the balloon starts to inflate take a needle or straight PIN and make a tiny hole near the tip so the pressure can get out without popping the balloon.

2. Some use a condom.

3. Some people buy a commercial airlock and stopper for the jug of Wine.

4. Some make a hole in the lid shove a plastic tube in the hole and seal tge tube and lid with or glue. The other end of the tube goes into a jar or bottle with water.

5. Myself i guess i have gotten lazy i put tge lid back on tge jug until tight, then back off the lid 1/4-1/2 turn. This lets the pressure out without letting contaminates in. A good way to determine if you loosened the lid enough is to squeeze the jug. Of the Juice goes up in the jug you're golden.

In making Wine off and on for 40 years i only had 1 jug blow up on me but that was 22 years ago and it happened when i was out of town.

Now you want to let the Wine sit and do its thing for the primary and secondary feementation; lasting 3-4 weeks. You will see a LOT of sediment on the bottom of the jar.

Now its time to rack the Wine (siphon) info another container. Before doing this clean the second container and the siphon.

Put the siphon in the Wine until the Wine is is 1/2 inch above the sediment. You don't want the layer of sediment to be transferred.

Now about cleaning the second second jug and siphon.

Two easy ways to do this.

Take a pint of water with 4 drops of clorine bleach to the water. Put the lid on the jug and shake well until the jug is sanitized then siphon the bleach water and use the bleach watee to clean the outside of the siphon.

Rince the cleaned jug and siphon with water to get rid of the clorine and you're ready to rack the Wine.

Put the lid on tge new jug of wine and back it off a little so if there is any feementation still going on the pressure can escape. Set it in a closet for the wine to clarify for another month. Rack the Wine one last time again without siphoning any sediment and enjoy.

This is called inmate brew because convicts made this in their cells by stealing sugar and yeast when they worked in the kitchen.

The reason this works to make ok wine instead of vinegar is because the and Juice has been pasteurized, and tge jug is new and clean.

When i bought Welch's frozen concentrate, and used Montrachet yeast i ended witg a Wine that looked like Cherry koolaid but kicked like a mule. 12.5-13% alcohol.
Man did you bring back some memories. We used to make hooch in the pods with the big milk bags that go into the milk machines. Alreay had a built in vent tube. We used fruit cocktail, peaches apples what ever we could get of the the kitchen from the kitchen porters. Typically all supplies from fruit, sugar and yeast and milk bags for a cut of the brew. My neighbor who lived on the bunk above me concocted some very high alcohol content on one run and somehow we managed to distruibute the hooch thru the whole damn ward. Damned if we didnt think about 400 caged dudes with some high test liquor and the whole ward went up in smoke. Literally. Alcohol induced riot and the guests burned everything that would burn. We all spent 24 hours locked down, in temp cuffs until the good squad could get peace and order. Then they locked the whole yard down to investigate who the cuplrits were. Thank you Cactus for having enough sense to burn the evidence in one of the campfires the natives started. Never heard a word about it. Man what a night!!!! True story!!!

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Man did you bring back some memories. We used to make hooch in the pods with the big milk bags that go into the milk machines. Alreay had a built in vent tube. We used fruit cocktail, peaches apples what ever we could get of the the kitchen from the kitchen porters. Typically all supplies from fruit, sugar and yeast and milk bags for a cut of the brew. My neighbor who lived on the bunk above me concocted some very high alcohol content on one run and somehow we managed to distruibute the hooch thru the whole damn ward. Damned if we didnt think about 400 caged dudes with some high test liquor and the whole ward went up in smoke. Literally. Alcohol induced riot and the guests burned everything that would burn. We all spent 24 hours locked down, in temp cuffs until the good squad could get peace and order. Then they locked the whole yard down to investigate who the cuplrits were. Thank you Cactus for having enough sense to burn the evidence in one of the campfires the natives started. Never heard a word about it. Man what a night!!!! True story!!!
Yes. Cannabis needs CO2. Yeast processing sugar into alcohol with tge by product of CO2

Perception

Perception

You could grow mushrooms in the room too. They release lots of CO2. Fungi Perfecti sells kits ready to go if you don't want to make your own. You'd need to match the type of mushroom you grow with the temperature in the room. Fungi.com

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

I made beer once in a grow room like decade ago lol
shit come to think about i also made moonshine

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Moonshine makes more co2 than wine when fermenting, plus when you get good at making it you can use it for making extracts.

Top Bottom