Having a few different issues, weak plants?

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

I've got 8 LA Confidential going, im pretty sure i have all of my conditions dialed in now. My temps hover around 75 degrees at all times, i put a humidifier in the room and am maintaining my RH at close to 50 % . My lights are always kept around 20 inches from the tops of the plants. I have been swinging my ph from 6.3 to 6.7 each feeding. Im using Earth Juice nutes and have a good feeding schedule that should be supplying all of the nutrients i need. My well water tests at 190 ppm. I do have a light buildup of whitish green stuff around the screens in my sinks and kettle. Lime or Calcium? Anyways, since only a few plants are showing any signs of stress im thinking i have a case of a few very weak plants. I made a bad rookie mistake and when germinating in paper towel i let it dry out too much, a few seeds actually had their taproot shrivel up.. After adding water those taproots seemed to come right back to life though so i planted them. Not all taproots shrivelled like that. Now im thinking those plants are the ones that are showing different signs of stress. I've got one plant with a lot of leaf edges curling upwards. I've got a couple plants that even though they are still somewhat heavy, the leaves droop.. Even after watering they still droop some. Then i have one single plant with crazy twisting of the leaves, maybe it's weak and showing stress from fluctuation in the ph? Anyways, obviously i won't be cloning any of those plants, should i get rid of them or just flower them and watch them closely for any signs of hermies later in flowering? I've got some plants that are just happy as hell though and leaves are all great and perked up towards the light.. Im just hoping i have one or two healthy plants that are the better of the pheno's... Here is a few pics of some stressed plants, and one of the healthy ones.. Although they are showing signs of stress, the plants remain almost all 100 % green and healthy looking besides the stress..

Having a few different issues weak plants
Having a few different issues weak plants 2
Having a few different issues weak plants 3
Having a few different issues weak plants 4

shawnskush

shawnskush

6.7 is pretty darn high in my experience i go no higher than 6.2....have you checked your p.h. fresh water and runoff as well as ppm? could be nute lockout when in doubt flush!

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Ph needs to be way lower. Your lowest ph feeding should be the highest.

The yellow one looks like lockout or way underfed.

Go to Walmart and get a cheap Brita filter. It will take a lot of the extra bs out of your water, that's about it... Does do well though. Flush with some ph 6 water then feed next feeding w half strength imo

P

paulycali

6.3 is the sweet spot. So having it swing from 6.3-6.7 is great but more for the flowering stage. For veg have it swing from 6.0-6.4. You'll be golden there

What's is your water temp? Lack of oxygen to the roots is no bueno

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

whats up guys, looks like a similar problem i have when im in veg and dont bubble my water, but i also have seen it when the ph was higher than 6.5

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I'd agree with everyone, you want your PH to come down a little. That's what the leaf twisting/curling is. But also - I see signs of nutrient toxicity. If you're getting toxic at a high PH then you definitely want to cut back a little once you get into the sweet spot. Burnt leaf tips, blueish leaves, and the drooping are all signs.

D

dutchman

I'd agree with everyone, you want your PH to come down a little. That's what the leaf twisting/curling is. But also - I see signs of nutrient toxicity. If you're getting toxic at a high PH then you definitely want to cut back a little once you get into the sweet spot. Burnt leaf tips, blueish leaves, and the drooping are all signs.

Sorry, but especially during veg a PH between 6,5 and 7,5 is good for a healthy grow.
Cannabis has NEVER been an acid loving plant.... during flowering it is ok to lower PH a bit.
How do you think weed is growing around the globe? With a PH meter? No, mostly the soil is slightly basic, not sour and the plants NEVER look like all those sickos here.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I would say a media ph between 6 and 6.5 is good for a healthy grow. The ONLY time I see problems in my garden is when my media ph is above 7.0, which only happens when it dries out too much. With water that hard i'll bet you're getting alot of calcium carbonate in your medium which will really start swinging your PH on the higher side of things. As your PH rises, micros become less available, and things start getting weird inside the plant, and they start looking like the ones you have posted. The only time I see such diverse reactions such as the ones you have pictured are when coco dries out and I have to figure out a way to work it to below 7. Generally, I swing my water between 5.8 and 6.3.

dutchman i would assume by slightly basic you mean slightly acidic...most growing regions across the world have soils with slight acidity.

D

dutchman

I would say a media ph between 6 and 6.5 is good for a healthy grow. The ONLY time I see problems in my garden is when my media ph is above 7.0, which only happens when it dries out too much. With water that hard i'll bet you're getting alot of calcium carbonate in your medium which will really start swinging your PH on the higher side of things. As your PH rises, micros become less available, and things start getting weird inside the plant, and they start looking like the ones you have posted. The only time I see such diverse reactions such as the ones you have pictured are when coco dries out and I have to figure out a way to work it to below 7. Generally, I swing my water between 5.8 and 6.3.

dutchman i would assume by slightly basic you mean slightly acidic...most growing regions across the world have soils with slight acidity.

What I mean is: you are focusing too much on that PH issue. I know hemp for more than 40 years now. I've seen it grow healthy under a great variety of conditions. Then only thing it does NOT like at all is wet feet and very heavy soil. Otherwise it will adapt to anything. 40 years ago the books wrote: hemp likes an alkaline soil and the hemp farmers in Poland, Tschechia etc. were putting lime in their soils. It didn't hurt I guess.
Sorry, but I have not encountered such big differences when the PH was 5,8 or 7,3.....except later flowering.

Look for other causes, root probs, overwatering, disease, and last not least that fuckin Fusarium epidemic that hits hemp in different ways and is difficult to diagnose because some strains are rarely affected, some not, some heavy with different symptoms.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We, I think he means what he wrote--basic (sometimes called alkaline) as opposed to acid. My experience with cannabis is different, it's more like Camellia and rhododendron in terms of soil acidity. Dutchman is absolutely correct that it's not terribly happy in heavy clay soils, but the response I've seen is limited growth that I can only attribute to poor root penetration due to poor tilth of the soil. I have witnessed no deficiencies, and certainly none related to soil pH parameters.

I also think that pH of the medium is more important in indoor cultivation as opposed to outdoor, which I find to me MUCH much easier and a much simpler proposition compared to indoor cultivation. At least, that's been my experience. Also, using organic methods and feeding soil instead of plants allows much greater leeway here, again IMO.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I also think that pH of the medium is more important in indoor cultivation as opposed to outdoor, which I find to me MUCH much easier and a much simpler proposition compared to indoor cultivation. At least, that's been my experience. Also, using organic methods and feeding soil instead of plants allows much greater leeway here, again IMO.

ya i'm always assuming indoor. If you think about it, we are the only people in the entire world with a market of growing plants off of municipal water. Indoor growing is a whole different ballgame where I think PH is a very important variable (right up there with maintaining appropriate temp/humidity).

and I will absolutely agree with you that cannabis and rhododendron enjoy similar soil - my first plants were planted in a rhodo patch in North Carolina :) I haven't seen many plants that grow well in clay soil or overly wet soil, save for yarrow which overgrew the borrow pit my family used to own.

montanamike1

montanamike1

I've run LA Confidential through my garden before and she looked very similar-

just a finicky plant, didn't seem to affect the final quality or yield too much. I found that she is a very heavy feeder, especially CaMg and micros, and honestly is the ugliest little duckling in my garden- she maxes out at a few feet and bushes out like a mofo. A buddy of mine got her to look a little better, but in the end his yields and flavor were comparable to mine-

My $.02: Don't stress it! It's a decent OG strain that will still do well for ya no matter how ugly she looks!

L.Burna

L.Burna

I would have to agree that the ph is way too high!! Not sure what the guy was thinking when he said 6.5-7.5!! But even then all plants are different and need to be treated so... Looks like signs of too much nutes or too little watering but having your ph at the wrong levels can just fuck things up.. 5.7 -6.2

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

i think 6.5-7.5 is o.k. if your using soil, but if it's soilless mix then def lower that ph

Top Bottom