Having a problem with THC alcohol extraction

• Thread starter Yoan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Yoan

Hello there!

I hope you are all well, a pretty nice forum you have here, love it!!! :)

I was told to post this here...

So, I watched several videos on how to extract THC using alcohol. So I got about 10g of really nice weed (just 10g yeah, weed is FUCKING expensive here...) and a bottle of really good absinthe (68% vol.).

So then I grinded and cleaned it. Heated it a little before I put it into the jar. The ratio was about 3:1 (alcohol:weed) and I tought it was ok because on one of the videos they say 4:1, but saw some other guys do it 2:1 and 1,5:1.

Anyway, I left the alcohol to boil for about 50 minutes (a really soft boil with small ballons). After that I filtered the liquid from the marijuana and ofcourse wanted to tested it.

It was recommended do to a few drops to see how it feels, so I started with 6 drops but 40 minutes later I felt almost nothing, then I decided to take another ~8 drops... and so on Ive been increasing it...

At the end I got 2 soop spoons and guess what... almost nothing happend again... just cant get high with this shit.

Anyway I checked in the comments and some more forums on what I have done wrong. They said that I have to wait a couple of days and this is when the shit gets stronger. Also read some more opinions to get the alcohol evaporated so I leave with just oil, but what should I do with this oil? Smoke it? Eat it?

However, I placed the filtered marijuana back in the jar with alcohol and left it for the night.

So my question is: What I did wrong? Or is it that I have to wait?
Should I evaporate the alcohol in order to get the oil (They say its even stronger) and how much is the normal doze?

Thank you!!

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
ive done a alcohol extraction with everclear...from what ive learned, alcohol has a small window for extraction. freeze the material and the alcohol, put to gether in a jar, shake for a couple mins and strain it off. alcohol will extract green clorophil if over worked.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
graywolf will give better info ..he is a pro on this subject :)

Graywolf

Graywolf

68% alcohol is too low. Can you get 190 proof?

Boiling and long soaks in ethanol will also extract the chlorophyll, so I recommend that you freeze your material and use a qwick wash technique.

If you've already boiled for 50 minutes in 68% alcohol and 32% water, there probably isn't much left.

The reason that it doesnt seem potent, is probably related to the large amount of non active ingredients that your process would have extracted, and that that much heat most likely converted much of your THC to CBN

Y

Yoan

Hey, Graywolf,

Thanks for your response! How freezed should the material be and what is the "qwick wash technique"?

Thanks!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I take mine to -18C/0F, which is the lower range of our chest freezer.

A quick wash technique with ethanol, would be QWET and there are detailed instructions at
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/, but in summary, you freeze the material and chill the alcohol, before mixing the two for three minutes, and then straining out the material and evaporating away the alcohol. You then dry and refreeze the material and do it again, until you have it all.

The freezing ties up the water in ice, which also helps hold the chlorophyll in place, so you get amber extractions, instead of dark green

3 minute frozen extract
Frozen material in alcohol 1
Quick strain 1
Filtering the liquid 1
Recovering alcohol
Boiling off alcohol 1
QWET
Top Bottom