Having some issues with seedlings

• Thread starter GreenfingeredGoblin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenfingeredGoblin

Having some issues with my seedlings who have just been strange from the get go...

my last two grows went perfect with no issues the whole way but I've now changed strain, changed the brand of coco and also moved to LEDs so God knows which one is the issue 😂

Had extremely slow growth from the start with possible overwatering, they perked up abit yesterday but I had a look today and they have some weird discolouration now :(

I'm thinking about just killing them and starting over seeing as they are this much trouble already and it's only been a week.

Media: coco 70/30

Light: Mars hydro fc 3000 50% dimmed

Nutes: plain water for a week and then 0.6 EC

Strain: fastbuds mimosa cake

Any help would be appreciated, just trying to figure out what I did wrong so I dont do it again next time 😂
Having some issues with seedlings 2
Having some issues with seedlings 3

Having some issues with seedlings
Madmax

Madmax

Hi mate..was the coco pre buffered and what was the ec or ppm of the coco when you fertigated it prior to potting up..those yellowing or marks could b calcium but im only guessing..if the coco wasnt buffered then maybe thats it .it does look like overwatering with the droopy leaves..id like you to start in way smaller pots so you can fertigate them and control the watering much easier pretty much soon as they pop up..

What are your parameters in room, temp etc

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

Hi mate..was the coco pre buffered and what was the ec or ppm of the coco when you fertigated it prior to potting up..those yellowing or marks could b calcium but im only guessing..if the coco wasnt buffered then maybe thats it .it does look like overwatering with the droopy leaves..id like you to start in way smaller pots so you can fertigate them and control the watering much easier pretty much soon as they pop up..

What are your parameters in room, temp etc
Coco is pre buffered as far as I know, its ecothrive charge lite which seems to have good reviews but it's the first time I've used it.

Not sure on the PPM of the coco, I normally just start seedlings in root root cubes and then pot them directly in final containers. I've tried transplanting before but accidentally damaged roots and stunted a plant so I leave them be now 😅

Do you think I should just start again? Also what coco would you recommend?

Cheers for the help 👍

Madmax

Madmax

Oh no..i def wouldnt start again..i use small square punnets and i grab a spare one and cut it in half and the bottom off.tap seedling out of punnet and place it in the half punnet so its easier to transplant into a bigger pot..im in australia bud and just use pre buffered cyco lite.i actually run rain water through till it reads 200ec as thats all whats required for begining the seeds,seedlings in..once up in three days or so i will mix up 90-100ppm and fertigate them just so the bottoms moist .my tiny punnets i use dry resonably quickly and dont get issues with overwatering..thats just what i do and works really well.

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

Oh no..i def wouldnt start again..i use small square punnets and i grab a spare one and cut it in half and the bottom off.tap seedling out of punnet and place it in the half punnet so its easier to transplant into a bigger pot..im in australia bud and just use pre buffered cyco lite.i actually run rain water through till it reads 200ec as thats all whats required for begining the seeds,seedlings in..once up in three days or so i will mix up 90-100ppm and fertigate them just so the bottoms moist .my tiny punnets i use dry resonably quickly and dont get issues with overwatering..thats just what i do and works really well.
Sounds like a good method might give it a go next time :) coco looks good too but I'm sure all of them are pretty similar these days so maybe I just over watered them and they showed some wierd symptoms or something.

Thanks for the help man :)

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

Every time i see a seedling thread i know the answer before i even click it. And its one of 2 things

How close is your light?

Did you saturates the media?
Light is hung according to manufacturers instructions as I dont have a par meter and I always take it easy in the first week with watering. Any help appreciated.

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

And what are manufacturers instructions say? 🤨
Manufacturers say 24 inches at 300w but I've dimmed it to 150 watts and lowered it to 45cm which should be somewhere around 300-500 ppfd according to a par test I found at coco for cannabis.

Its weird though they have changed the original hanging distances that I saw on their sites now it doesnt mention dimming 🤔

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah way to much light for a seedling.

300-500par is for a full on vegging plant. Try like 100 par

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

And what are manufacturers instructions say? 🤨
Manufacturers say 24 inches at 300w but I've dimmed it to 150 watts and lowered it to 45cm which should be somewhere around 300-500 ppfd according to a par test I found at coco for cannabis.

Its weird though they have changed the original hanging distances that I saw on their sites now it doesnt mention dimming 🤔

I started at 25% dimmed and slowly worked my way up as the seedlings were stretching, plus the seedling directly in the middle seems the healthiest which wouldjt be the case if it was the lights surely as it's getting the most par?

In your first post you said you know what it is without looking but If it's not the light what is the other suggestion?

I

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I started at 25% dimmed and slowly worked my way up as the seedlings were stretching, plus the seedling directly in the middle seems the healthiest which wouldjt be the case if it was the lights surely as it's getting the most par?

In your first post you said you know what it is without looking but If it's not the light what is the other suggestion?

I
Watering but its your light thats the issue how could you slowly work up on a tony seedling?

Up to you wether you wanna take my advice or listen to a manufacture that says 3-500 ppfd is ok for a seedling.

Its NOT stretching and its NOT light intensity that causes stretch!!!! Its spectrum that does.

Your reasoning makes no sense about the light.

Lol i think i need a break for a few days… i feel like a broken record…. See yall in a few days

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Watering but its your light thats the issue how could you slowly work up on a tony seedling?

Up to you wether you wanna take my advice or listen to a manufacture that says 3-500 ppfd is ok for a seedling.

Its NOT stretching and its NOT light intensity that causes stretch!!!! Its spectrum that does.

Lol i think i need a break for a few days… i feel like a broken record…. See yall in a few days
hah just know your knowledge doesn't fall on deaf ears. Because of you I know how to use my light in seedling stage this grow

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I agree with Aqua, I'm not seeing stretching there. Also, the cotyledons look perfect from the pics posted, so they are not starving or anything like that.

I would definitely try to get the PAR down a bit and let them recover.

You mention possible overwatering, that can contribute. Please take a look at this

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

I had the light super dimmed and it looked like they were beginning to stretch so I turned the light up... these are 11 days old now so that's what I meant when I said I worked my way up, but its difficult without a par meter.

Also maybe you should take a break.... no need to be a helmet I'm only asking for advice.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I had the light super dimmed and it looked like they were beginning to stretch so I turned the light up... these are 11 days old now so that's what I meant when I said I worked my way up, but its difficult without a par meter.

Also maybe you should take a break.... no need to be a helmet I'm only asking for advice.
You got it buddy.

G

GreenfingeredGoblin

It's hard to see from the pictures but they are quite leggy... but thank you for the link I will check it now. I think it was a case of not enough light at the start which made me then use too much light and then overwater at the same time :( this is the first time I've used leds so it's a bit of a learning curve but that's for the help :)
I agree with Aqua, I'm not seeing stretching there. Also, the cotyledons look perfect from the pics posted, so they are not starving or anything like that.

I would definitely try to get the PAR down a bit and let them recover.

You mention possible overwatering, that can contribute. Please take a look at this

t

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It's hard to see from the pictures but they are quite leggy... but thank you for the link I will check it now. I think it was a case of not enough light at the start which made me then use too much light and then overwater at the same time :( this is the first time I've used leds so it's a bit of a learning curve but that's for the help :)

You need blue leaning in seedling stage to prevent legginess. Your led may not provide the right spectrum and you overcorrect and turn it up and burn the seedlings.

T5 fluorescent is still the best for seedlings for this very reason.

Piling dirt up like you did is a viable option.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

You need blue leaning in seedling stage to prevent legginess. Your led may not provide the right spectrum and you overcorrect and turn it up and burn the seedlings.

T5 fluorescent is still the best for seedlings for this very reason.

Piling dirt up like you did is a viable option.
also a good fan will help keep it short as it focuses on stem strength to combat the wind

Top Bottom