Having trouble transplanting from pot

• Thread starter Coopaloop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Coopaloop

Coopaloop

I've got 4 photoperiods going at the moment. All about 6 weeks. All 4 are in 3 litre plastic pots since germination. 3 transplanted relatively fine. However, the 3 were a different breed than this 4th. The 4th has always been a bit smaller than the others. This 4th just refuses to come out of the pot. The plastic of the pot is pretty hard so squeezing around it is not really helping out. I see roots poking out of the drain holes as well. But when I go to flip it and let it slide out like the others, it simply won't. It feels like the upper half wants to come out if you know what I mean, but the bottom half wants to stay. I didn't want to cause it anymore stress after trying a few times so I watered it and let it be until I could hopefully find some advice on some reliable strategies for getting her out. Should I wait longer for a stronger root system, water before I try to get her out or wait for the soil to dry etc? I see differing opinions on that matter. The other 3 had decent root systems but we're in no way rootbound. Included some pictures for a general idea of size. Thanks in advance folks.

Having trouble transplanting from pot
Having trouble transplanting from pot 2
Having trouble transplanting from pot 3
SecretGardener

SecretGardener

I find they come out of the pot best when dry vs wet. Try taking a long thin knife or piece of plastic and run it around the outside of the pot between the pot and dirt. That will free any roots that are clinging to the pot then turn it upside down and hit the bottom of the pot with you hand...

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I find they come out of the pot best when dry vs wet. Try taking a long thin knife or piece of plastic and run it around the outside of the pot between the pot and dirt. That will free any roots that are clinging to the pot then turn it upside down and hit the bottom of the pot with you hand...
That's interesting — I find it easier to remove them from the pot if the soil is moist. I use a long spatula to loosen things up, then pound like hell on the bottom.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yep give the bottom edge of the pot a good hit all the way round it will come out or just cut the pot it's only a weed plant in a plastic pot after all . Od .

Coopaloop

Coopaloop

Yep give the bottom edge of the pot a good hit all the way round it will come out or just cut the pot it's only a weed plant in a plastic pot after all . Od .
Yeah I was last resorting cutting the pot. The sides of the plastic are hard but the bottom of it's is super hard plastic. Impossible for scissors for sure. I'll have to use something stronger if it comes to that. Just trying to get her out of the pot made her seem kinda weak and trying to lean. Before I try again and bang at the bottoms, you think I should give her a little while longer to establish stronger roots? I feel like she hasn't fully established a strong root system in the 3 liter pot at 6-7 weeks but I can't be sure. Totally new to indoor growing! Thanks for the help!

Madmax

Madmax

Usually they are hard to get out because of the roots and compaction.wet the soil wait for it to drain out say half an hour and try again .watering it will keep the soil together better..get someone to help you bro..

Last edited:
Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Saturate the soil with water, lightly pack the soil down. Push in on the sides to loosen the soil ball from the container. Put one hand on top and slide the stem between your fingers so you palm the top of the ball. Put other hand underneath pot. Flip pot over onto your hand that's holding the top. If it's still stuck then your roots are bound inside the holes at the bottom, just rock it up and down until you feel it slide out onto your hand. Sprinkle mycos on it, and in the new transplant hole. Throw it in the hole, cover loosely with soil. Water it in. Done

Top Bottom