Haze seed grow log

• Thread starter farmerjohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

farmerjohn

I've been checking out the site over the last month & am impressed with the overall tenor of the site & the helpful people I have met already. So I want to get started on my 1st grow log. Basic information about me & my experiences are already available in other threads, so I will get right to the task @ hand.:coffee

My amigo stopped by a few days ago & pressed a small vial into my hand. "Here's some Haze seeds", he said, with no amplifying information. So I am not positive if this is Original Haze, or a cross, or what exactly. Dude says he will quiz the source, so I will have the exact genetics of the seeds soon.:confused0059:

I popped the beans into my tupperware incubator & slipped the package next to a 400W hps laboring over a Blue Dynamite mother & 8 chemo 2-liters @ day 17 of 12/12. A 12 hour sauna may even pop a few of them. Sure enuff, next morning, 6 of the 20 seeds had cracked open, ever so slightly. I threw them into peat pellets & covered, then tossed them into the clone tent. This brings up my 1st question. What is the best orientation for the seed, when transplanting? I read put the shoot up, but am not convinced this is the best.:middlefinger What's your slant on this?

Too more days passed & the remaining beans popped for the most part. A few went in shut, so we will see if they pop, too. I left the remaining 14 beans outside in the nursery & infirmary area. 2 stuck their heads out this afternoon, after a torrential rain. None of the 6 in the clone tent have bothered to do so yet.:flower

That's it for now. Consider this the beginning of a journey whose ultimate destination lays amidst a cloud of uncertainty. 1st time with a full blown sativa, plus it will be indoors, so I have my work cut out for me.:anim_30:

F

farmerjohn

Day four, since popping the Haze beans into the incubator. All twenty seeds are now residing in the outside nursery/infirmary, six in peat pellets & 14 in small plastic pots. The 1st two volunteers are short & stocky, dark looking things right now. Just a 1/2' stem & seeds leaves. Four others are emerging this afternoon from plastic pots, while I still wait for the 1st one to raise its head out of the peat pellets.:sweating

Biding my time today, I decided to further investigate a new growing system, I am trying out. I cut the tops off of seven two litre plastic bottles yesterday, cut drain holes into the bottom, plopped small rooted Chemo clones into the bottles with a very light soil mix & duct taped them together in a bundle. This fits perfectly under a 400W light with a small hood & you can get it real close, while the plants are so small. The bundle is easy to carry & watering is a cinch. I repeated the process again today, using seven small Blueberry Kush clones this time. Tomorrow I intend to do it once again, this time with seven Silver Pearl clones, that are hardening up outside, as we speak.:clapping

The idea here is to have seven clones in close proximity, that I can veg to about 8". During the veg, I will ensure that all seven stay even in height. I will train them to be a self contained SOG, that is only about one foot square! I plan on running @ least one of these with every strain I utilize, in order to see how well they perform under SOG conditions. A 4th strain, Blue Dynamite, is about two weeks away from having enuff clones to do it again. Even the Haze, will get a chance, although it will be some time before I see clones from seeds that I just planted.:flower

Next chapter: Potting up the Haze seedlings. Coming soon.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I always put the seed horizontal in the soil so whatever end is up and whatever end is down can just go the way they want instead of having to make a turn. However, I don't think it really matters.

The Thai and Original Haze grow I did was basically 12/12. I did let them get out of the soil and veg a week. They had two leaf sets when I flipped. They had to be topped after about 7 weeks.

It was better after that from clones of the females. Much more control but still I nice haze and thai seed run.

You are going to grow these inside?

F

farmerjohn

Yes, Tabor,they will be grown inside. But here is the latest in the saga of the seeds. It's day 7 now & the 2 that popped immediately, well, 1 is gone. My homey was in the nursery yesterday & plopped him hand right down on one of them. Dead. The other is fine. Now about the rest of them. Four came up somewhat & just died. One was upside down, so I operated on it & it may well be a viable sprout by tomorrow. That leaves 13. While I was repairing the one, I decided to check out the others. To my surprise, I found 6 more with open seed pods, but nothing in the way of a sprout. So I have 1 healthy seedling, 1 more that should be fine, 11 dead & gone & 7 still sitting in their little pots, as I wait. I will be happy if I get just one boy & one girl. Short of that a girl, lol. But it's not looking as promising today as 3 days ago. I hope the rest of these pop in the next few days!:flower:flower:flower:flower:flower:flower

Thanks for the tip. I'll plan on short veg & basically run these like an auto bloomer, only @ 12/12. How long did you run them in 12/12? I've heard crosses take 13-15 weeks & original Haze, even longer.

F

farmerjohn

Haze & Mexican bag seed run

Tabor, I have another question for you. What size containers do you recommend? I will transplant directly into them for the whole run. I got to thinking about the whole situation & decided to amend the title to: "Haze & Mexican Sativa bag seed run"
I popped 4 beans from some very high quality commercial about a week before starting the Haze seeds. My guess is, considering where it originated from, that the bag seed is Mexican Sativa. And the way these Haze seeds have performed so far, they act like bag seed! I have 3 excellent seedlings from it. I transplanted 2 of them today, 1 in a 2 gal. pot & the other in a 1 & 1/2 gal. They are both 8" tall, with 2 sets of leaves, although they are still only 3 fingered leaves. The 3rd one is still in its 2" pot. It got eaten by a bug or something, just after emerging, but has recovered, has 1 set of leaves & is 4" tall. I'll wait to hear back from you on suggested container size, before I transplant anymore. So even if no more seeds pop, I would be looking @ running 2 of the Haze & 3 of the Mexican together. So I'll stick with it & hope a few more seeds join the party.

F

farmerjohn

Thanks MM. But it's officially a pain in the arse now! Only have one seedling out of 20 seeds & that got eaten off by a bug last night. Should not have left such a precious commodity outside. But another seedling got eaten last week & has recovered nicely, so I still have hope of growing this thing to sexing stage. Male or female, I don't care @ this point, as long as it makes it!

So, I will continue the saga of the lone wolf mcquade seedling, but I am amending the title again to:
"One Haze & three Mexican Sativa seedlings, along with 21 two litre SOG plants that are 12 Chemo, 2 Blueberry Kush & 7 Silver Pearl grow log"

I will begin the background of the grow tomorrow, after a nice Holiday spent with friends smoking dank, eating brownies & attending a free concert from one of the premier bands of the '70s. Name withheld to not allow positional identification, but they do not advocate whale killing! lol:party

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
farmer my thai took 10 months. I had the O. Haze and Thai on 12/12 after like a week veg. They never flowered after 7-8 weeks. So I put them on 10/14 and it took 20+ more weeks for the O. Haze and like 30+ for the Thai. The thai went from seed sprout to harvest in 10 freakin months. LOL!

I used 1 gallon pot too so they would flower faster like some sativa growers suggested.

Sorry to hear about the seedling troubles.

F

farmerjohn

Thank you, Tobor. Time factors are another reason to include the additional strains then. I force flowered two Blue Dynamite seedlings that were less than 6 weeks old & have them @ day 29. Both are healthy & seem to be responding to the 12/12. They are covered with white hairs already, but only popcorn buds so far, as one might expect. Any ideas how long on this one Haze seedling, before I can try to sex it? The Mex may well behave similarly, if it is in fact sativa.

A few photos of what the run will consist of. Pics tomorrow of the two 7 pack two litres.
1.) The cutting that will not grow! One month with roots, no vertical greenery. Blueberry Kush strain
2.) The nursery & recovery center. Lt 2 rt. in larger pots. 2 Mexsat seedlings, 4 Silver Pearl clones in veg, 1 Adam's Funk, a cross of Blueberry Short x Hindu Kush.
3.) 5 of the 7 Silver Pearl cuttings awaiting bottling.
4.) The smallest of the MexSat seedlings
5.) Lone Wolf McHaze! Shows damage from attack last night.

100 1542
100 1543
100 1544
100 1554
100 1555
F

farmerjohn

It's been four weeks since I started this string & I can't begin to relate what I & the plants have been through. Let's just say, It's been hell! I'll explain further, later, but wanted to give an update, as to where this project stands.:coffee

I posted about a minor rip-off I experienced here yesterday in another string, so I won't repeat the story. Just that it was necessary to protect the flock by locking everything away in a safe haven. Which I did.:lock:

Today is day 1 12/12 for the 3 Mex-Sat seedlings, 21 bottle plants in 3 bunches of 7 (Keymo, Silver Pearl, Blueberry Kush & Blue Dynamite mixed) 4 nice little Silver Pearl 1 gallon plants, 1 Blue Kush 1 gallon & Lone Wolf McHaze! I'll get some photos in the morning before the lights go out & post them for comparison to the ones above. Wondering about how much sativa is in these Mex-Sats & the Haze? They are still young, but I expected narrower leaves. The Blue Dynamite has the narrowest of any of the plants. Wondering if that is due to the Grapefruit heritage? You'll see when I post the photos & maybe give me your opinion about the seedlings.:anim_44:

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Haze grows take a long time to get rolling without having troubles along the way.

The sativa leaves can get more narrow and long as more leaves develop.

F

farmerjohn

Here's a photos of LWMH today. & a pic of 2 of the 3, seven 2 litre bundles. Sorry about the quality. I'm generating my own power (part of the hell I spoke of) & still tuning in the system. A bit of strobing going on under these HPS lights right now.

100 1757
100 1758
F

farmerjohn

Lone Wolf McHaze has just taken off after only 7 days underneath a 400W HPS augmented with side lighting from a 400W MH! I'm excited about finding out what sex this little bastard, opps, beotch, is within the next week or so. The Mex-Sats are huge as I expected they would be. That's one of them, showing just a fan leaf, on the extreme right, in the 2nd photo. About 2 ft. tall.

I'm going to take a photo of one of my Silver Pearl clones, that I am running with the seedlings this log is named after & post it tomorrow. It has developed an odd leaf yellowing, (the whole leaf) but only a few, with no discoloration on any of the other leaves. Odd to me. Hopefully some1 will recognize the symptoms & let me know what it is.

My electric was out for awhile, which is the hell I referred to in an earlier post. My partner steps in & cared for some stuff I had in flower, during the no juice debacle. Just got some of them back & the Chemo run in 1 gallon planters & trained to a single cola, (most of them. a few have several) responded well. My 1st run of Chemo required 70 days to finish, but I learned much through trial & error. Today was day 60 & 5 of the 12 showed trichomes @ the perfect development. So I cut & hung them so as to be ready in time for a road trip to see Phish! Also, I got back 1 Blue Dynamite seed plant that was past due. Trichomes were about 75% amber & many had laid down even! Perhaps the claims I read online, of flowering in 45-55 days is not just hype with this strain!

A funny side note about the Blue Dynamite is, I cut the colas off the plant last night & hung it in a lamp chain beside my computer. As I prepared for bed, the heavens opened up. So I let the dogs in & we all went to sleep. Well, the little peckerwoods (two 7 week old pups) woke up b4 me, managed to get to the bud, ate it, got the munchies, ate all their food, shit on my carpet in the bedroom & went back to sleep! When I saw it was missing, I knew what had occurred. A hands & knees search of the floor resulted in me finding about a gram & a half of bud in a dozen small pieces. That means they ate about 9 or 10 grams of primo, fresh, crystally dank, between them!

N

Night Howl

^Reminds me of "It's got some Labrador in it" :D Sorry to hear about the stolen stash. I suppose dogs can be stoners too. I'm interested in seeing how Ms. McHaze turns out. Let's hope she's a trichy girl. ;) Hopefully a fellow farmer can come along and identify the issue with that yellow leafed Pearl. That pic will help, I'll check in later today. Peace bro.

F

farmerjohn

Must be some "good shit" then!:passingjoint:

Thanks for the input Howl. Here is the photo I promised. Plus a few more. A note about the Silver Pearl. It was one of five plants that got eaten by a groundhog & spent the last 6 weeks recovering & vegging for the flowering run, that began one week ago. None of the other four plants are showing any signs of the leaf yellowing you see in the photo. All five were put on restricted ferts during their stay in the infirmary, which may be a hint of the problem, but doesn't explain why it's the only one affected.

Photo 1 is the Yellow leaf Pearl. 2 is the Silver Pearl bud the puppies ate, on left. 3 is Lone Wolf McHaze. About to show signs of sex, looking female, but still too early to be positive. 4 is one of the three Mex-Sat seedlings, which to my astonishment has 1/2" bud sites on every top. They are difficult to see in this picture, but they are there. Funny, I didn't even notice them yesterday. Maybe I didn't take a close look. The point here being that this pheno seems to have blasted into bud! The last time I checked it out thoroughly, I didn't even know it was female. Today it looks like Super Woman!

100 1797
100 1789
100 1803
100 1804
F

farmerjohn

Thanks again, Howl. A quick check of your link source tells me I have a nitrogen deficiency. It makes sense since the feeding has been very light to nil for the past 6 weeks. I suppose the other 4 will also need N, but just haven't begun to display the symptoms yet. Seems so easy, that I shouldn't have overlooked it. Yet, in my defense, I can never recall having a nitrogen deficient plant!

N

Night Howl

Glad I can help

That's good news, it looked like an N deficiency, but I didn't wanna jump to conclusions. Your plant should bounce back after normal feedings. Some strains are simply more sensitive than others, which was probably the case here.

Here is the link to the full FAQ for that site, there is a ton of info there:
http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html

F

farmerjohn

This pheno of the Silver Pearl is different in that it has internode spacing @ about 1/2".:party0044: It is a cutting that has been rooted & through the mill. Eaten by a groundhog,:dull 6 weeks in the infirmary,:punch never gotten over 8" tall with regrowth,:sad0047: constantly trying to bud regardless of light amount,:sun never had a leaf with more than three fingers & now N deficient! Finally under 12/12, I want to take a few cuttings & see how they grow without all the trama. It hasn't hermied yet,:character0035: doubt it ever would! Common sense tells me wait until it recovers.:sick0026: Right now it got a shot of Peter's Bloom Buster @ 1/4 strength. Every 3 or 4 days, with waterings, I'll increase the dosage a bit. It's only 10 days into flower, so hopefully this plan is @ least semi-solid.:anim_10:

F

farmerjohn

Guess I'll have to get my eyes checked. The Mex-Sat photo above is a male! Dang. I put it outside today, 'cause those 1/2 bud sites were pollen sacs forming! Not really the male sperm I am looking for, but I'll collect some & store it, when the bastard fully flowers. I'm learning about seedlings & their life cycle this year, by observing & manipulating them. I've force flowered several, just to establish how quickly some strains can go from sprout to full flower. I chopped one Blue Dynamite like that last week. I sewed that seed May 1st & harvested August 5th. 97 days. It was small & yielded only 15 grams, not counting the top bud the dogs ate! That would have been another 6 or so. Anyway, very small, since I forced it to flower @ about 8". It did complete flower cycle in about 55 days. The outside parameter from some other sites. They were claiming 45-55 days. The clones I took may well approach that lower number, which would be very interesting, if the yield can be increased dramatically & the buzz too! It ain't bad, but not exactly bubblegum, either!

Top Bottom