He..slimed me :(

• Thread starter Legallyflying
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Ok, ghost busters quote aside, I do have a serious issue

I am just getting my clones to root out in my net pots in anticipation of plunking then in my UC.

Conditions:
10 RDWC buckets under a bank of 8 t5's
Average lux about 30k. 18-6 photo period
Air Temps 68-75, water around 69
DM grow a and b plus cal mag at 5ml/gallon. Total ppm at 430 or so.
Zone at recommended rate +2ml/g h2o2 every 2-3 days
Ph floating a bit 5.5-5.8
11 liter/m airflow per bucket
Water level at bottom of bucket.
Been top watering 2-3 times a day, some days with EWC/myco tea

Ok, so the roots really started popping out of the net pots 2 days ago. Looking good as they are coming out the bottom and side. They are only about 1" long. I noticed a little clear boogers on a couple of root tips. Fearing the worst I have them a fresh dose of h2o2 and zone. Total zone would be around 10ml per 5 gallons now.

I looks at the roots today. Yikes!!! They all have boogers now. They are clear with a couple brown spots. No smell.

I added physan 20 at .5ml/gallon and raised the water level so the whole of the bottom is under water. I plan to change Rez in 12 hours

Should I be doing anything else? Why the slime while running zone and h2o2? I scrubbed everything! Prior to putting the plants in

Thanks for any suggestions.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I think I read on a nother thread that zone and h202 cant be used at the same time..... not sure but I think someone else can verify or discredit this info.

P

phup

1. Tea and DWC often results in root browning, doesn't necessarily mean that you have rot.
2. At this stage you should have white roots if you keep them underwater, with a reasonable amount of bubbles and h202 at 1-2ml/gallon. I've found in the past when i hit small plants too hard (zone, physan, h202, clean slate, etc.) in an effort to kill everything in the root zone it can be counterproductive. KISS when they are babies.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Well the roots are white, they are just covered in boogers. I have heard of countless people using zone and h2o2. I think perhaps you mean zone/h2o2 and tea.. That is a no no.

I was just top dressing to try and get some good bacteria colonized in the upper part of the net pot.

Well, sounds like I should stay the course and just change my Rez tomorrow.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Well the roots are white, they are just covered in boogers. I have heard of countless people using zone and h2o2. I think perhaps you mean zone/h2o2 and tea.. That is a no no.

I was just top dressing to try and get some good bacteria colonized in the upper part of the net pot.

Well, sounds like I should stay the course and just change my Rez tomorrow.

U mentioned in ur first post u used tea and zone so I wasnt sure u knew they werent compatable. If u suspect uve got infected root tips, u can always trim them. Be sure to add ur zone slowly in small amounts before ur nutes and additives.

Pics?

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

you got pythium! h202 is good but you will have to add it every 4 days. i fought this when i used a shallow dwc as it got too warm. it begins as the plant cant shadow the hydrotons so they warm up and the contitions are perfect within these hydroton for bacterial growth if introduce. the issue i had was that the pythium totally colonized the netpots inbetween the hydroton and is unseen unless you pour the loose ones off the top. the hydroton above the water level will remain infected and unaffected by the zone or h2o2 as its not in direct contact to the rez water. i controlled mine by turning the plants upside down and shook all the clay pebbles out that werent fused to the roots. i then ran it under plain tap change rez and add h2o2 and clean pebbles to top the pots. if you can get the roots from out the pots, you can get in there better as the mucus blobs will get re clogged and remain to reproduce. btw i used a soft baby toothbrush to brush the slime off my roots when hanging from pots prior to the overhaul.

opt1c

opt1c

raise the water level and lower the water temp.. should help you out

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

T

Thanks so much guys!!!

So I just raised the water level almost to the top of the pots in an attempt to sterilize them. Ill keep them soaking for the next hour or two then I figure I'll drain everything, give the net pots a good dunk in strong h2o2 and then set them back I'm fresh nutes and h2o2

So...what is the strongest h2o2 I can use to dunk them?? 10ml/gal?

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

you want to cut it at 30% with the store bought(3% pure), and the hydro grade(30% pure) at 3%.

nebulius

nebulius

I had pythium slime on roots before while they were still young clones. I was able to take them out of their pots and put them in bowls with Hygrozyme and thrive alive (b-1). You can even add h202 as it is compatible with Hygrozyme according to their website. Hygrozyme is an enzyme that breaks down the pythium. Left them in there for about an hr. sterilized my equipment with bleach (rise. rise, rise) and put them back.
This is only a short term solution to get them healthy again, pythium will keep coming back until you figure out what is out of whack. good luck

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

yup hygrozyme is good also but if your gonna put it in the rez then you must fix the problem that caused it as nebulis stated. it can make the problem worst as it breaks the stuff down to sugars i believe and that more food for the pythium if it survives. so try what nebulis said, yet ive never done it so i didnt want to mention it but it did cross my mind as this is what hygrozyme is for.

so far your on the right track!

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Flushed everything. Rinsed the system. Then I added super duty h2o2 to the buckets. 200ml 30% in 5 gallons (just to zap the airstones). Little
Fizzing from them. Nothing major.

Fesh nutes in 50 gallons of water
225ml cal mag
150 ml each of A an B

483ppm, 5.73 ph

Total time fuxking with stuff today..3.5 hours. If some needy ass patient says growers are lazy and greedy I'm going to throat punch them :)

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I would make Heisenbergs EWC Tea... It is cheap, easy, and really works... Totally cleared up my slime...

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

oh, and Aquashield contains Bacillus Subtilis or something like that... That particular strain releases an antibiotic to help the roots heal from pythium attacks... I use Aquashield and the tea and things look better than ever

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Yeah, I suppose that i could run the heis tea. I ran it in DWC before but I kind of broke the cardinal rule and ran some organic ferts in there. Things got ugly at the end. Not super duper ugggh ugly, but definitely not ideal.

I guess with the chem nutes I have now it would be fine.

P

phup

Thanks so much guys!!!

So I just raised the water level almost to the top of the pots in an attempt to sterilize them. Ill keep them soaking for the next hour or two then I figure I'll drain everything, give the net pots a good dunk in strong h2o2 and then set them back I'm fresh nutes and h2o2

So...what is the strongest h2o2 I can use to dunk them?? 10ml/gal?

That is a bit on the strong side, 5ml/gallon won't burn the epidermis on the root hairs.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

I'm beginning to think it's not Pythium. It showed up again. That is less than 10 hours and I hooked my chiller up and the water is at 64. Also covered the net pots with panda. Natural root mucus?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Just a comment on the Cal-mag, UCHQ recommends only 1ml per gal.

You should also post this in the UCHQ thread.

Good luck bro....

Latest posts

Top Bottom